E39 M52B25TU Consuming Engine Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tckhor

Club Guest
Dear Forummers,My car is consuming engine oil. I have changed the CCV (crank case ventilation) valve as suggested in the internet forums.But the oil consumption continues. Another diagnosis is that the valve stem seals have worn out. This is a major job involving the removal of many items before these seals can be accessed and replaced.Has anyone of you changed your valve stem seals ? If so, I please share your experience, which workshop can do a good job, the cost, etc.Many thanks.

You can check with WP Auto (Albert Fang 011-1-0777792) He can do the job without removing the cylinder head.

You need to check with him on the price. I bet it's among the most reasonable for a good job.

- - - Updated - - -

You can check with WP Auto (Albert Fang 011-1-0777792) He can do the job without removing the cylinder head.

You need to check with him on the price. I bet it's among the most reasonable for a good job.

Just did top overhaul my e39 same model like yours...
For a better job the cylinder be remove so that the valve piston head n cylinder head be clean from carbon...
Did it at seri gombak...
Can refer my tread in showroom...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Many thanks Vincent, replacing the seals without removing the cylinder head is a most welcome proposition.
Saves a lot of trouble removing so many items to get to the seals. I shall find the time to get in touch with Albert Fang.
By the way, with the seals replaced, did it solve your oil consumption problem ?

Volvos525i;854914 said:
Just did top overhaul my e39 same model like yours...
For a better job the cylinder be remove so that the valve piston head n cylinder head be clean from carbon...
Did it at seri gombak...
Can refer my tread in showroom...

Volvo525i, For the moment, I plan to replace the seals only without removing the cylinder head. The engine is still performing well and up to expectation. Maybe at some future point in time, I shall do as you suggested and give the cylinder head a thorough clean. Thanks a lot.

You are welcome bro huhu...
But only need to replace the valve seal...
Better do it together atvthe same time...hehe...

waaa....replacing the valve seals without head removal for access?i have read it somewhere and was told it can be done using a special tool.but then again if the valve guides are worn,the new seals will give way eventually soon....

bro tckhor.....plse update us on yr progress ya.i am really interested now as i am consuming oil at the moment and i really hate messing up the cylinder head by having it removed....

moots;854959 said:
waaa....replacing the valve seals without head removal for access?i have read it somewhere and was told it can be done using a special tool.but then again if the valve guides are worn,the new seals will give way eventually soon....

bro tckhor.....plse update us on yr progress ya.i am really interested now as i am consuming oil at the moment and i really hate messing up the cylinder head by having it removed....

Moots,
You can find some reading material in the internet forums. It seems the messy job of cylinder removal can be avoided. Each piston must be at TDC and some para cord is inserted via the spark plug hole to prevent the valves from dropping into the combustion chamber. The valve springs are compressed with each piston at TDC, collets removed and the valve seals replaced. Since you are a DIY guy, this will give you an idea of the procedure. Thanks.

Whaaaat?this cannot be that easy.no way the collets can be removed while under compression.hydraulic lifters summore.
The one i read...the whole cam shaft requires removal...lifters removed...collet and springs and then only we can slide the seals in.....that one also need special tool.
Anyways.....if you do call albert and decide to do it...plse update us all ya.tks bro...

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it can be done with special tools..
Like in my area for replacing the valve seals only yes but to remove the valve stem us quite a challence...

Volvos525i;854989 said:
Yes it can be done with special tools..
Like in my area for replacing the valve seals only yes but to remove the valve stem us quite a challence...

Here is a brief description done by someone. He used compressed air to hold up the valve to prevent it from dropping into the combustion chamber. A valve compression tool is required. Also, a camshaft timing jig is required to ensure correct timing during reassembly. This procedure should be within reach for those with good DIY skills.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537073

bro tckhor
have just read and viewed this video:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8022031&posted=1#post8022031

excuse my ignorance but hell yeah this can be done without the cylinder head removed.the video is for the n62 engine but the basic principle is the same.for the m54 need to remove both inlet and exhaust camshaft tho but it beats removing the head!

i am excited with this knowledge and will dig deeper to find the required tools.
thanks again bro.....btw....have you called albert of wp auto to get a quote how much RM to have this done?

Hi Moots,
As the saying goes, everyday is a learning experience. I am glad you found some info of interest in the internet. I have not asked WP Auto yet. Someone suggested using a thicker oil as a first step rather than getting at the seals. I have switched from 5W-30 to 5W-40 (both LL01) but the latter is still too thin to provide the sealing function. I am now looking for a 10W-40 oil that is LL01 compliant. After research, I found Redline 10W-40 meeting this requirement. Do you know of a local shop selling this oil ? Cheers.

hi bro tckhor,
i am on 10w40 shelll helix and previously castrol magnatec.no help there.Don't think the LL01 compliancy matters.

pinjam your thread. my 525 has started consuming oil. it is drinking about 2 litres every 5000km. only notice this since the last service. my babe has clocked 215,000 km and i overhauled her top 100,000 km ago. is this serious enough to send her in for a overhaul or should i just continue to feed her the juice?

Wooooo looks quite alot...
Im on 10W40 Castrol Syncn...
Yes consume abit but almost after 7000km...
A tea cup...
Not only valve seals may be also need to check the piston rings...

ya my workshop says most likely it's the piston ring given the amount of oil gone missing. he told me no big deal at the moment, just need to pay for the oil top up only. the audis are even worse oil drinkers. i did the top overhaul almost 5 years ago due to overheating from a combo of a failed aux fan and leaky radiator. wondering if i should just wait till it consumes more.

dear mick123 , u already know what is waiting for you up a head . why wait bro since u have to do it now or at a later day . as for me " peace of mind " in my UDM is my pleasure of driving .

Yes better do it right now for easy mind...
Like mine did it due to drinking alot of coolant...
So now peace of mind...

mick123,
Do update us if you carry out overhaul work on the engine. I would like to know what is actually causing the high engine oil consumption.
Thanks.

Top Bottom