E39 Fuel pump

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

greddyevo

Club Guest
hi bros, got my E39, i had some fuel pump issues and a BMW repair shop( dont want to post shops name here) said it was the suction pipe in the fuel tank was clogged when the fuel is at half tank. full tank it was ok. so i replaced a fuel pump,float left and right ,a suction pipe & Petrol filter. the bill came up to RM2070. is that expensive or normal?

Aduh... i hv no idea bro. Perhaps sifus can enlighten u on this.

greddyevo;760041 said:
hi bros, got my E39, i had some fuel pump issues and a BMW repair shop( dont want to post shops name here) said it was the suction pipe in the fuel tank was clogged when the fuel is at half tank. full tank it was ok. so i replaced a fuel pump,float left and right ,a suction pipe & Petrol filter. the bill came up to RM2070. is that expensive or normal?

No harm if u tell the shop's name here. At least other members will be aware of the shop in the future. If not here then I still want to know perhaps u can pm me. LoL

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

so the main problem was .....at half tank the car is starved of fuel?and at full tank ok?

if that's the case...fuel pump shud still be ok and so shud both the the level sensors as well.
from yr description,what needed doing was to unclog the suction pipe and all shud be well.........?

these plastic pipes rarely gets damaged and perhaps at worse,requires replacement but i don't see why the rest of the components was replaced.

pump ~ 700
level sensor ~ 250 each
the rest shud be for pipes and labor ~ 870 ?

this is my assumption with the info that was written.......

If you change the whole assembly then is reasonable but to change only the pump cost around RM500 only. I change twice b4. Nowaday less ppl would like to change the whole assembly. It is easier job for the workshop to change the whole assemble but damage ur pocket.

greddyevo;760041 said:

if you have the itemised billing please post it here. Yes sounds very expensive. Where is this shop? Sarawak?

Hi sifus thanks for your promt reply, yes it starved at halftank, i called up the previous owner. he had not changed the fuel pump before. so i felt safe by changing the rest of the parts since the milage touching at 150k ++. how ever, i've check with Eng soon(Spore), with the exchange rate its still ard RM1600++ part alone.so extra RM400 because of parts in malaysia much expensive?however the shop is in jb also. i've know them with my pervious rides.so no issue with this workshop.the job was done clean and fast.thanks again guys.

BMW520;760123 said:
If you change the whole assembly then is reasonable but to change only the pump cost around RM500 only. I change twice b4. Nowaday less ppl would like to change the whole assembly. It is easier job for the workshop to change the whole assemble but damage ur pocket.
Bro BMW520, where u change the pump RM500? With labour? Let us know the loc. and shop name pls, thanks!

Hi Bros, after a expensive replacement of the fuel pump, Floats and ETC. i had some probs with my gauge. when the tank is near empty. i'll fill it up and the gauge doenst move, i'll have to restart my car in order to get the gauge moving up again. i've brought this up to the mech, after further checking, he said my instument cluster is not working well. How Can that Be??.. hope some of our bros can share. thanks.

the reasoning given that instrument cluster has problem is in my opinion absurd. i assume the cluster worked fine before the fuel pump replacement? i had problem with my temperature gauge needle before, it did not move whenever i did cluster test. if u test yours and the petrol needle moves properly then i don't think it has problem.

also, i recently replaced my fuel filter. got it from BA at rm315. http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...can-touch.-LoL&p=816336&viewfull=1#post816336

greddyevo;818397 said:
. i'll fill it up and the gauge doenst move, i'll have to restart my car in order to get the gauge moving up again..

bro....re u saying you fill up while the engine is running?or the key is at acc position?if yes then don't.switch of totally while filling up.i osso noticed on my car when i fill up whilst engine running,the fuel gauge will not move and if i were to continue driving,the gauge will still show fuel being consumed towards empty. i have to switch off and on again to get actual reading.

moots;818512 said:
bro....re u saying you fill up while the engine is running?or the key is at acc position?if yes then don't.switch of totally while filling up.i osso noticed on my car when i fill up whilst engine running,the fuel gauge will not move and if i were to continue driving,the gauge will still show fuel being consumed towards empty. i have to switch off and on again to get actual reading

HI bro, nw its happens either with or without switching it off, i did test 06 while filling up, i saw that the passenger side was empty then suddlenly jumps to 3L and continue moving up. but the gauge didnt move up, i told my mech to find a 2nd hand float for testing. While test 06 it shows Phase 1,means both float are working fine. but this could be intermidiate fault.so it doesnt capture the fault. i'll continue doing some research on this and will update.

hello guys, ok got my problem solved. last sat continued my research for the gauge probs. sorry didnt take any pics due to pist off with the prob.

Test 1: checked both floats (Still attached) -got ard 100 -200ams
Test 2: Checked Cluster (Test 6) -0L/10.4L/10.4L
Test 3: still under (Test 6) - shows 00L Phase 2(as i said earlier,it could be intermidiate fault) Phase 2 means one of float was screwed up.

Got my self 2nd floats and replaced it. while testing RH I plugged in the 2nd unit moved the float up and down (the gauge was moving as it should be)
once i've fix it up, i went to fill up another $30 and did another test. the gauge didnt move..WTF. did another test:-

Test 1: Checked Cluster (Test 6) -0L/21.4/21.4L (if i remember correctly)
Test 2: still under (Test 6) -still shows phase 2 but now its Tkanz 10.4L Phase 2 ( it didnt add up from earlier liters in car. Means LHD float is also screwed up)
Test 3: Ape nak test, changed LH Float and Yahoo....gauge working Fine.

i even went to fill up another $50, while engine was on, and the gauge was going up while filling up. now i can sleep well. cheers.

Top Bottom