E39, 528 or 523 ? Can't decide! Need Sifus Help

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

billyngcam

Club Guest
My friend is letting go his 1998 528i CBU , 160k milleage, no repair condition, asking for 90k.Test drove his car few times, excellent condition... Love it! But in my heart, I'm still wanting something newer (like with double vanos).Anyway, does double vanos give more power? better fuel consumption? what i feel is a smoother engine , but other than that? Because if the double vanos version didn't really has any obvious difference, other than smoother, I better stick to my friend's car. It's cheaper, and i know the history of the car clearly, and I don't have to pay extra 20k or more for a double vanos.Also, I'm also considering to get the 523i model (year below 2000) , because thinking it would be easier to sell off in the future (more popular, right?) , and the road tax is cheaper.But another side of me.....:eek: , I like the extra gadget on the 528i (such as power seat)...Oh, any way to change the center console display to a "color LCD" type which found on the Japan specs? How much it cost?ai, difficult decission :( :p Can any sifus here help me ! Thanks.

..get the E60. even better.!! you like new electronics gadget..?? then get it. Plus The new N54 torque comes in very early..250NM@ 2750rpm. and with max hp at 218@6500rpm .And you can't even check the engine oil level....I sure bet that a lot of ppl dun know that.

There's no dipstick!!!!!!

* cabut*

KL2DC said:
No...get the E90 FTW :D
Yeah right... on papers. From 0 to 60kmh ,it's only 0.2 second faster the the E60 dude.:cool:
I'll settle for an E60 instead.

:rolleyes: ??? no...no...!!! Scoobies V9.

Zoggee said:
..get the E60. even better.!! you like new electronics gadget..?? then get it. Plus The new N54 torque comes in very early..250NM@ 2750rpm. and with max hp at 218@6500rpm .And you can't even check the engine oil level....I sure bet that a lot of ppl dun know that.

* cabut*
Thanks all the sifus!

huh, first time I heard a car without dipstick! So, if can't check oil level, is it save to depends on the "warning light" ?

E60 a little bit out of my budget:D Furthermore, 1998 528i power is sufficient for my purpose.
looking for car with budget around 90k to 120k max.....

Bailey said:
then go for E39 528i bro if u luv the power tats the car bro

I agree 100%. I drive a 528i e39 and just love it. [Nonetheless, if you check out my other posting today, you will find out just how much I have to spend today on the car. More coming to make it almost new...Oh well].

Well, in my opinion, the 528i is definitely the one to go for. Moreover, you will have all the past history records if you buy that car from your friend. The single VANOS doesn't make that much of a diff... but what you get is the extra power and torque compared to the 523. The difference in RM20k alone is enough to make that decision. Enough money to mod your car oredi!

Moreover, you will have all the past history records if you buy that car from your friend. The difference in RM20k alone is enough to make that decision. Enough money to mod your car oredi![/quote]

billyngcam,

roland1888 is spot on!
the most important factor in getting used vehicle is know the service history. Bonus if you know the previous owner! 20k is a lot of money, even enough to give it a new coat of paint. Good as new!

There is no substitute for cubic capacity, doesn't matter if it is single or double vanos, or no vanos for that matter.

Another point to consider, contrary to popular belief, larger cubic capacity consumes less fuel.

kevster30 said:
There is no substitute for cubic capacity, doesn't matter if it is single or double vanos, or no vanos for that matter.

Another point to consider, contrary to popular belief, larger cubic capacity consumes less fuel.

Thanks for all the sifus advice!:)

I'm currently a Volvo owner. I thought the only friendly club is VOCM (volco owners club malaysia), but to my surprise, BMW club members are so friendly and helpful too!
It makes me feel great even before owning a BMW ! Bravo!:p

kevster30: larger cubic capacity consumes less if travelling (cruising, not heavy footer) in the highway. But definately consume more in city driving. Right?

azwanb said:
I agree 100%. I drive a 528i e39 and just love it. [Nonetheless, if you check out my other posting today, you will find out just how much I have to spend today on the car. More coming to make it almost new...Oh well].

azwanb,

Thanks for your feed back!
I'm owning a Volvo now, and the repair bills is not less than yours... My radiator tank will cost around Rm 1500, radiator fan Rm 600 , air-cond fan Rm 1300 (single speed!), front brake pads Rm 300++ , real brake pads Rm 260++......

So I guest the E39 maintanance cost is ok to me huh:(

My question is, does your E39 ever broken down on street that you need a tol-truck? In other words, is E39 reliable?

For the past 1 month, because my friend wanted to sell off his E39 in order to get the new VW GTi, he had basically fix most of the parts includes: new air-cond, front suspension including lower arm, 3 new tyres (17"), and will give me a pair of new real brake pad (he bought from Singapore to keep), a full set of original springs (he changed to sport suspension), the rims are BBS....
The only things is the paints are a little bit run down, so may be need to repaint if really picky....

"But in my heart, I'm still wanting something newer (like with double vanos).
Anyway, does double vanos give more power? better fuel consumption? what i feel is a smoother engine , but other than that?"

Double vanos gives you a more responsive engine over a wider range of rpm. Whether it saves fuel or not would further depend on the driving style. It does certainly give you a larger range of useable torque by making the engine more efficient. However, VANOS is known to malfunction after some time. Be prepared to repair it when it happens.

"Because if the double vanos version didn't really has any obvious difference, other than smoother, I better stick to my friend's car. It's cheaper, and i know the history of the car clearly, and I don't have to pay extra 20k or more for a double vanos."

Bear in mind your friend's 1998 528 should already have single VANOS.

"Also, I'm also considering to get the 523i model (year below 2000) , because thinking it would be easier to sell off in the future (more popular, right?) , and the road tax is cheaper."

Yes, road tax is an element in the resale value. It goes hand in hand with lower maintenance cost, less things to go wrong, etc. But also remember, you are getting less performance.

"But another side of me..... , I like the extra gadget on the 528i (such as power seat)...

Oh, any way to change the center console display to a "color LCD" type which found on the Japan specs? How much it cost?"

I've checked w an accessory shop. Your best bet would be to source from potong parts... price and availability will fluctuate.

Being new to udm, it is understandable to get excited and let your heart take over your wallet.

If you can, be patient, talk to some friends, and find out what's involved.

Things to ask yourself:

1. Are you looking for power? Handling? Looks? Fuel economy? Resale value? Rank them in order of your preference. Some of the criteria conflict each other.

2. Is this car your daily driver? Do you want to drive it only on weekends? Do you carry family/children/passengers/luggage often?

3. How much do you budget for :
- fuel
- servicing
- wear and tear replacement
- modification - cosmetic/performance/handling

4. Do you have a workshop you trust? Etc, etc.

Join this club and you will soon find many resources to make your udm ownership a more enjoyable experience. Welcome.

By the way, many people find Volvos actually cost more than BMW to maintain... spare parts are typically higher-priced, so your conclusion is not surprising.

billyngcam said:
azwanb,

Thanks for your feed back!
I'm owning a Volvo now, and the repair bills is not less than yours... My radiator tank will cost around Rm 1500, radiator fan Rm 600 , air-cond fan Rm 1300 (single speed!), front brake pads Rm 300++ , real brake pads Rm 260++......

So I guest the E39 maintanance cost is ok to me huh:(

My question is, does your E39 ever broken down on street that you need a tol-truck? In other words, is E39 reliable?

For the past 1 month, because my friend wanted to sell off his E39 in order to get the new VW GTi, he had basically fix most of the parts includes: new air-cond, front suspension including lower arm, 3 new tyres (17"), and will give me a pair of new real brake pad (he bought from Singapore to keep), a full set of original springs (he changed to sport suspension), the rims are BBS....
The only things is the paints are a little bit run down, so may be need to repaint if really picky....

Ok. Today I spent 5k! Damn painful but if you want to get the car to almost new, you gotta spend I guess. Its still cheaper then the S60 I saw in the workshop where the owner already spent 20k!! Today he was reparing a broken down turbo.

I also spoke in length with the workshop owner asking which car is more expensive to maintain - Volvo, Merc, BMW and Audi. He said Audi is a good car but due to poor local management, the parts are exorbitant. Volvo he said is much more to maintain as its more complicated to maintain compared to the Merc and BMW. Between BMW and Merc, he said the cost to maintain are similar, being the most common fault is leakage of many things. He did say however, that the BMW is more robust and can tahan longer even if there is a problem. So he himself drives one! He even asked me if I was a member of this club! Even a 'yes' answer did not manage to get me the discounts I wanted though. Sob Sob.

As for my repairs, I did change the radiator at RM 850, Top and Bottom hoses at 125 each. The reserve tank was 325 or something like that. Changed wheel sensors at 310 each for 3 tyres. Front brake pads at 330 per pair. Plugs at 40 for 6. Mobile one at 188 x 2. Fan clutch at 300 plus. Water pump, pump hose, macam macam lagi, all in all RM 5088.

Next month or whenever I get more cash would be to service my brake calipers at 65 x2. Recon Steering rack at 1200 and front discs at I dunno how much. Want to pengsan already. BUT having said that, the guys told me that once I complete it, my car would be as good as new and the next MAJOR MAJOR service will be in 5 years time. I always knew I had to spend it but did not think it would be this month and next month!! I really hope my bosses give me a goooooood bonus this year. I will list the entire stuff in my other entry sometime tomorrowlah. The bill is in my car to stop me having nightmares tonight!!

But man... the car just drives better and better...

azwanb said:
Ok. Today I spent 5k! Damn painful but if you want to get the car to almost new, you gotta spend I guess. Its still cheaper then the S60 I saw in the workshop where the owner already spent 20k!! Today he was reparing a broken down turbo.

I also spoke in length with the workshop owner asking which car is more expensive to maintain - Volvo, Merc, BMW and Audi. He said Audi is a good car but due to poor local management, the parts are exorbitant. Volvo he said is much more to maintain as its more complicated to maintain compared to the Merc and BMW. Between BMW and Merc, he said the cost to maintain are similar, being the most common fault is leakage of many things. He did say however, that the BMW is more robust and can tahan longer even if there is a problem. So he himself drives one! He even asked me if I was a member of this club! Even a 'yes' answer did not manage to get me the discounts I wanted though. Sob Sob.

As for my repairs, I did change the radiator at RM 850, Top and Bottom hoses at 125 each. The reserve tank was 325 or something like that. Changed wheel sensors at 310 each for 3 tyres. Front brake pads at 330 per pair. Plugs at 40 for 6. Mobile one at 188 x 2. Fan clutch at 300 plus. Water pump, pump hose, macam macam lagi, all in all RM 5088.

Next month or whenever I get more cash would be to service my brake calipers at 65 x2. Recon Steering rack at 1200 and front discs at I dunno how much. Want to pengsan already. BUT having said that, the guys told me that once I complete it, my car would be as good as new and the next MAJOR MAJOR service will be in 5 years time. I always knew I had to spend it but did not think it would be this month and next month!! I really hope my bosses give me a goooooood bonus this year. I will list the entire stuff in my other entry sometime tomorrowlah. The bill is in my car to stop me having nightmares tonight!!

But man... the car just drives better and better...

Azman, good to hear that your ride continues to bring out a smile in you...

Zoggee said:

* cabut*

Billiyngcam,

Spend a little bit extra and get the 2001 to 2003 525i E39. The engine is the same as the E60 from 2003 to 2005 without having to pay E60 price. Sounds like a good idea?:)

billingcam,good to know u've chosen a BMW as ur next ride.all i can say is Lee35328 is right.ask urself all those questions before deciding on either a 528i or a 523i.
i'd just like to relate my experience to you.i was an e46 328i owner,sold my car earlier this year.true,the 2.8 will offer better performance over the 2.5 but not by much..it won't matter that much cuz both cars are heavy anyways.
one question critical to ur purchase..are u gonna keep the car long?? if yes,then by all means get the 2.8.if not,stick t0 the 523i.
u see,i had an agony of a time to sell my 328i..just cuz of its capacity.a very painful experience.somehow,here in Malaysia,people seem to think that 2.8 is 'big',with exorbitant roadtax and high fuel consumption.funny ain't it? can buy BMW but cannot afford roadtax.eventhough most of us feel differently about modern big cc engines,the 'market' is blind to all that we know.sucks but very 'real' indeed..i had to bring down the price rockbottom before anyone would even have a look at my 328i.very very painful indeed,i had sleepless nights dude.not a very nice experience..

think about it..like i said,if its a keeper than by all means.if not,get the 523i.

...you can guess my vote...

But, go test drive E60 525i... maybe after that you would want to find that extra cash for that extra oomph!!:cool:

Jerman said:
Moreover, you will have all the past history records if you buy that car from your friend. The difference in RM20k alone is enough to make that decision. Enough money to mod your car oredi!

20K can help you offset the higher roadtax too. It´s about RM800 extra than what 523 or 525 owners pay. Even if you own the car for 10 years, let´s see you only pay RM8000 extra but you still have RM12000 to play around.:D

Jerman, how´s my racun? OK tak?:D

Top Bottom