E36 X-Brace

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

loafer

Club Guest
I've been contemplating purchasing the BMW E36 X-Brace. So far I've found a few sites in the US which sell brand new ones and Ebay has a few items listed as well. The only thing that's making me consider this is whether the installation can be done properly more specifically the nutsert part since only the E36 M3 comes with it installed.Anyone with experience care to comment about this? Would really like to know if its a necessity or just something nice to have and if anyone out there has one of this installed in their E36, I'd really appreciate your 2cents on this. :top: cheers,loafer

I think three28 have bought this X-brace before. You need to drill the holes on the chassis of the car and install the special lock/rivet nut in order to mount the X-brace.

loafer;304031 said:
I've been contemplating purchasing the BMW E36 X-Brace. So far I've found a few sites in the US which sell brand new ones and Ebay has a few items listed as well. The only thing that's making me consider this is whether the installation can be done properly more specifically the nutsert part since only the E36 M3 comes with it installed.

Anyone with experience care to comment about this? Would really like to know if its a necessity or just something nice to have and if anyone out there has one of this installed in their E36, I'd really appreciate your 2cents on this. :top:

cheers,
loafer

bro.. as for normal daily driving is concern, there is no need for you to install the x brace, because the function has been covered by stock standard crossover brace which came standard with the car.. however for motorsport purposes or track use.. it will be very beneficial to have a x-brace..

Just my humble opinion.. i don't have any racing or track day experiences.. just judging based on my engineering background and online readings...other sifus please correct me if i'm wrong... and btw, if you are looking for a brand new one right here in malaysia.. the price is roughly around RM 780.. just pm lionel for more info..:wink:

jarance;304042 said:
I think three28 have bought this X-brace before. You need to drill the holes on the chassis of the car and install the special lock/rivet nut in order to mount the X-brace.

That's right, you'll need to drill holes for the nutserts which is needed for X-brace installation. Only the E36 M3 comes with these nutserts.

irdanlz84;304075 said:
bro.. as for normal daily driving is concern, there is no need for you to install the x brace, because the function has been covered by stock standard crossover brace which came standard with the car.. however for motorsport purposes or track use.. it will be very beneficial to have a x-brace..

Just my humble opinion.. i don't have any racing or track day experiences.. just judging based on my engineering background and online readings...other sifus please correct me if i'm wrong... and btw, if you are looking for a brand new one right here in malaysia.. the price is roughly around RM 780.. just pm lionel for more info..:wink:

Honestly speaking, I'm not much of a racer myself. But I do hate the body roll when I take a bend at speeds above 80km/h. Hence the reason I'm looking at upgrades that will eliminate that. I think I'll KIV the X-brace till I get the other essential items upgraded first (ie. Strut bar, ARB, Coilovers etc.)

Thanks for the info irdan.

You need to drill 4 holes to insert the ring plug. 2 holes at the cross member and two on the chassis, if I remember correctly.

Lionel_Koh;304317 said:
u can get it for BA ...Just plug n play .....No need to drill......

Sorry I'm pretty new to this stuff. What's BA?

if u just want to get rid of body roll, try doing bigger anti roll bars first. the x brace is pretty good for protecting your sump especially on a lowered car.

Yea I'll definitely do that. Getting the bushings done this week, then going shopping for coilovers this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

cheers,
loafer

I have installed the x-brace 2 yrs ago 4 my E36 328. NO NEED 2 drill anything.

udm6868;304857 said:
I have installed the x-brace 2 yrs ago 4 my E36 328. NO NEED 2 drill anything.

Ah that's good news. Cause I was reading online and there were articles that said you needed to drill holes. Thanks for the info :)

IMG_2921-800.jpg

Six nuts in all, no holes needed.

Blue arrows are where the nutserts (or inserts) are needed.

You can buy the nutserts.

They slip into the hole, and as you tighten the nut, the insert will expand and stay put.

This is the single best mod in terms of bang-for-the-bucks that I have come across.

After you install it, tell us how much more fun you are having.

Lee36328;305218 said:
IMG_2921-800.jpg

Six nuts in all, no holes needed.

Blue arrows are where the nutserts (or inserts) are needed.

You can buy the nutserts.

They slip into the hole, and as you tighten the nut, the insert will expand and stay put.

This is the single best mod in terms of bang-for-the-bucks that I have come across.

After you install it, tell us how much more fun you are having.

wow bro, nice pic and clear explanations... :rock: :top:

Top Bottom