E36 M42 or M44 which is best?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

python_dev

Club Guest
Greetings all, I have a Question for all the Sifu's.Q.) Which is better M42 or M44 to put in E36 318i M40.A.)??????Background:I have an 92 model E36 and want to beef up the engine a bit but still Keep the 1.8 (1796). I know that in this timeperiod the E36 used the M42 and electronics would be easier to maintain. M44 has nearly identical HP and electronics would need more work, but the plus side would be smoother more efficiant power and economy. So I am just looking for any info from people who may have done this sort of exchange or Similar (M50 etc) and what are the issues involved.Also.. A semi decent mechanic that could do it... would love to DIY but don't have the needed tools and equipment etc.Thanks in advance for all replies.. ;)

e46 318i 2.0l - N42, 142bhp Valvetronic - 16 valve, 4 cyclinders

I am keen to venture into the above engine for E36.

Not sure it will be suitable?

The M42 is an almost plug and play engine for the E36 318i... better mod potential compared to the M44... One of the guys here had his M42 turbo'ed. Do a search and you'll find something on it.. A manual gearbox would complement the engine better though instead of a slushbox...

Ohh just to mention I already have the Manual 5 Speed in the M40 that I would like to keep...
Auto's for the Beginners ;)

Top Bottom