E36 gear transition problem?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fahmira

Club Guest
Hello Sifu and guys, how is it doing?Just like to post on my recent E36 problem. Everytime when I drive my car in the morning, the car having trouble changing gear (auto) when i'm accelerating especially from 0km/h (traffic light or stop position). It will take awhile before it changes to next gear.Anybody have a similar problem? Is it serious which I have to push my wallet alarm button

same problem here i just ignore it lol my pomen said maybe ade cable sangkut

yeah, am ignoring it awhile...it gets better after awhile of driving thou...thot of sending for a check, hopefully its some cable issues :)

HI..has brought my car to the workshop, so basically its a gear box problem. Pomen suggested I change it to a second hand one instead go for service as it will cost me more. It cost me about 3K++ for 1 second hand gearbox tsk tsk

Don't want to bust your balls but I have had that problem for 1 year edi. Cold mornings, it will take sometime to gerak... as if i'm pressing half clutch on a manual tranny. Engine RPM high, but car crawling. Gears affected are 1-2.

So far no problem... and I trash my gears a lot.

fahmira;661133 said:
HI..has brought my car to the workshop, so basically its a gear box problem. Pomen suggested I change it to a second hand one instead go for service as it will cost me more. It cost me about 3K++ for 1 second hand gearbox tsk tsk

Greeting fahmira, do proceed to the Newbies section and do a self intro as per forum rules. :top:.

:listen: don't always trust the pomen 100%. if proper care is taken, the transmission can last as long as the car. Most probably it only some electronic issue...go and find a third opinion but not from any workshop.!!!

thanks stig...I knew that this problem can actually tahan for couple of years but I just don'y have the patience to go through jerkings every morning..haha. But what i'm facing is exactly as what you have now.

Hi Dzuljazz...thanks for the advise..done that already in the newbies. Basically have asked the pomen if there's possible electronic problem, which apparently not. He also found that the transmission oils has burning smells...so i guess its bad though.

I am currently having the same problem. But the previous owner mentioned that he had just overhauled the gearbox a year ago. The gearbox jerks during shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. And sometimes it won't even shift to 3rd at all and maintains at 2nd where if that happens i have to shift to 3rd gear manually and wait till it engages 3rd then shift back to D.

So right now, I have 2 options in mind:

- Change to Manual straightaway and postpone the chassis repair (replace absorber, lower arm etc).
- Take the risk and change the auto transmission oil where there's a chance I might just be wasting few hundred bucks. But if it solves the problem then I can proceed with doing the absorber replacements and also touching up the body (body kits, paints etc).

Can anyone kindly give me a suggestion? The car is a e36 328 year 96 with GM 4 speed Auto.

clovi5;662596 said:
I am currently having the same problem. But the previous owner mentioned that he had just overhauled the gearbox a year ago. The gearbox jerks during shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. And sometimes it won't even shift to 3rd at all and maintains at 2nd where if that happens i have to shift to 3rd gear manually and wait till it engages 3rd then shift back to D.

So right now, I have 2 options in mind:

- Change to Manual straightaway and postpone the chassis repair (replace absorber, lower arm etc).
- Take the risk and change the auto transmission oil where there's a chance I might just be wasting few hundred bucks. But if it solves the problem then I can proceed with doing the absorber replacements and also touching up the body (body kits, paints etc).

Can anyone kindly give me a suggestion? The car is a e36 328 year 96 with GM 4 speed Auto.

exactly same problem like me. i already changed the atf oil, but problem still there. mine 328 with gm4 auto also. ithink u better try change the pulse generator (gb speed sensor) and gb shaft seal like this guy solved his problem. no need to open the gearbox oilsump. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724430
berlin motor works (segambut) quoted me RM180 for the labour for the job i mentioned above.

also some said it can be solenoid problem.

Galaxy7;662779 said:
exactly same problem like me. i already changed the atf oil, but problem still there. mine 328 with gm4 auto also. ithink u better try change the pulse generator (gb speed sensor) and gb shaft seal like this guy solved his problem. no need to open the gearbox oilsump. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724430
berlin motor works (segambut) quoted me RM180 for the labour for the job i mentioned above.

also some said it can be solenoid problem.

I've just changed the auto tranny oil (5 litres). Now it felt slightly better. But the jerk is still there. and Sometimes it tends to shift from 2nd to 4th straight away.

And just few minutes ago, it didn't want to change gear and went to neutral. Had to wait for a few moment before it decides to slot in a gear. :banghead:

Sigh maybe i should just splurge and convert it straight away to manual.

clovi5;663022 said:
I've just changed the auto tranny oil (5 litres). Now it felt slightly better. But the jerk is still there. and Sometimes it tends to shift from 2nd to 4th straight away.

And just few minutes ago, it didn't want to change gear and went to neutral. Had to wait for a few moment before it decides to slot in a gear. :banghead:

try looking into your solenoids as mentioned above .... changing ATF from the original brand to some other brand too could cause such problem, but likely it's a slim chance only that such problem arise ...

clovi5;663022 said:

hey bro,

i solved my problem by change the solenoid. here's the story:

i went to the workshop and at first i asked the pomen to change the gb speed sensor(pulse generator) and shaft seal like this guy solved his problem http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724430.
then the pomen said, he want to scan the problem first. i said its ok but i already scan twice before this. same error appeared, error 100: gear monitoring problem.
he continue the scan and still the same error came out, error 100: gear monitoring problem.
he said gear monitoring problem is not the speed sensor problem or shaft seal problem. gearbox need full overhaul or change with other gearbox. same exactly like 2 pomens i already met before. both them also mentioned the same thing. need full overhaul. its not speed sensor or shaft seal problem. so this pomen is the 3rd pomen i meet(means 3 different workshops).
but i insisted him to change the speed sensor and the shaft seal. and again he said its not the speed sensor problem because it doesn't show on the computer during the scan.
after that i asked him, can it be the solenoid problem? he said it cannot be the solenoid because during the scan the solenoid error not come out.
i told him, my gear reverse ok, gear 1 ok, gear 2 ok and gear 4 also ok. only gear 3 not ok. so it might be the solenoid if we think logically la kan. but he said he believe the computer and the computer is 99.9% accurate, that is what he said to me.
i told him i want try to change the solenoid first, then he replied its up to me but he confirms its not the solenoid problem and i am wasting my money.
then i replied back, its ok i will not blame you if my gear3 problem not solved after change the solenoid. so i went to BA buy the solenoids (2 solenoids) and gasket and 2 liter of ATF oil (for top up only because i asked him to reuse the old oil because its still new). the solenoid product number is 24 33 7 537 062 and 24 33 7 537 063.
after the job done and charged for RM140 for labour, now no more jerking/gear free/hard to change to gear 3. everything is smooth for my car.
why the scanning tool cannot detect the solenoid problem? i think it is because the solenoid is half dead only, not totally dead.so the solenoid was detected not dead or ok. it makes sense because the jerking not happens all the time.

moral of the story: human's brain is much better than computer. and dont trust 100% the scanning tool. ahaks.

Iceman
- Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into it once i send the car for the major wear and tear replacements on the bushings and suspensions.

Galaxy7
- Glad you solved your problem. How long did it take for them to replace the solenoid? Since last time when I changed the auto tranny oil, it took them almost 4 hours. And how much are each solenoids you bought from BA?

clovi5;664300 said:
Iceman
- Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into it once i send the car for the major wear and tear replacements on the bushings and suspensions.

Galaxy7
- Glad you solved your problem. How long did it take for them to replace the solenoid? Since last time when I changed the auto tranny oil, it took them almost 4 hours. And how much are each solenoids you bought from BA?

change the 2 solenoids take less than 2 hours. no need to open the small gb oilsump. open the big oil sump only. filter and ATF oil also i not changed, reuse the old one just top up a bit.
solenoids cost me RM200 x 2 = RM400, gasket RM22, ATF oil 1 liter RM35, all from BA.

good luck to you bro. hope u can solve your problem too because our problem very similar.

my dad's e34 also got same prob. but for this time being he just layan je.i'll suggest to him bout the sol valve..

Top Bottom