e36 318i auto box issues

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

carlsberg

Club Guest
hi guys, ive searched around here but cannot find any thread with the subject i have.the car has done 220 odd thousand milage with full service hustory, the problem is this, when the gearbox changes into second, sometimes the car overrevs, some times not, and the change is smooth and seamless.also last night, my wife reported that leaving a petrol station, the car lost drive, she pulled over, switched off, re started and then the car was ok.....now, i havnt changed the tranny fluid or filter yet (looking for a decent workshop) and was wondering if this could be as simple as bad tranny fluid or clogged filter.....im also wondering if its the gearbox ecu?id like some input from you guys, so at least i have an idea when talking to the workshop.thanks.

You are already quite lucky that your GB is not kaput having done more than 220K km and have yet to replace tranny fluid and filter. Suggest you asap replace tranny fluid (make sure workshop use the correct type) and filter.

herbert;580038 said:
You are already quite lucky that your GB is not kaput having done more than 220K km and have yet to replace tranny fluid and filter. Suggest you asap replace tranny fluid (make sure workshop use the correct type) and filter.

.. and keep your finger crossed. Remember to never flush the ATF now because that will release the sludge and potentially clog critical oil passage.

I replaced mine at 40k km.. still very nice color. Can easily last 60~80k km, but 220k km! You are pushing your luck..

ah guys, i didnt explain correctly, i apologise, i did mention that that car has full history and has been well serviced by the previous owner, with auto box flushes and oil changes, the last one at 178k by optimum, i should have explained that i now am starting my own service regime regardless of what he did, as i always do when i buy a 'new' car.

i was only wondering what could be wrong with the 'box, as it shifts well, doesnt slip and is silent, in fact its perfect apart from the second gear reving and last nights lack of drive.... today wifey has driven the 80 odd k into kl and theres no problems.....

i do most maintainence myself, but the tranny fluid/filter change i want to do at a workshop (just read throught he 34 pages of recommended shops ! phew !) and was hoping for some technical insight into the problems so as to explain properly to the workshop guys...

again i apologise for not explaining myself fully

is the BMWorks at taman bolton still good? i noticed it failed to get mentioned in the last few pages.....

it may not even be any problem with the tranny .... could be signs of a faulty AFM If you're on an M40 engine ...

by the way what engine are you running on ?

my auto tranny lasted me 260K before i retired the engine ....

iceman, its a totaly factory standard one owner 1995 318i

the afm was replaced at 216k miles, the owner has kept a book from day with all service work etc detailed. thanks for the info.... im still waiting for my bently manual to arrive, so im a little in the dark with the car at the moment, this is my first bmw, so im on a learning curve here !!

well carlberg ....ummm thinking of happy hour already ...

i've got a buddy that changed to 2 AFM till such problem solved ...at times the AFM is just being serviced OR a recond one is being replaced without knowing much of the history of such items ...unless you buy it new which would set you somewhere around rm1K and above ...but since you just got the car ...why not do a full check up on it ...

you may be surprise that it may even be a weakening alternator or battery ...

people got a question for all sifu's...my UDM year 97...318 running on M42 engine... and i dont have service record with me...so my question is how do i knw when must change GB oil and other stuff in it? BTW my mileage is about 202k for now and gearbox doesnt show any bad sign still gud bt juz for precaution.THANK YOU

infinity, if i were you id as im doing, even though i have full service records im starting my own from the milage i bought the car. change all the fliuds asap, including brake fluid, then move on to other routine maintainence from there.

by the way, geta copy of the bently manual, its very very good indeed.......

carlsberg;581698 said:
infinity, if i were you id as im doing, even though i have full service records im starting my own from the milage i bought the car. change all the fliuds asap, including brake fluid, then move on to other routine maintainence from there.

bro...i'v already bring my ride for a full check up at bayern in penang...some of club members familiar wif the shop to...i did a full service and he gave me a quotation on wat to do...bt he neva list in anytg about fliuds or similar to it...watz actually fliuds is bro?

carlsberg;581698 said:

bro thx alot the bently manual helps alot...

'fluids' is the generic term used to describe engine/gearbox/axle oils, and coolent/brake system , anything thats liable to have been either not changed in a long time, or maybe changed to the wrong stuff, its best to to it all for peace of mind.

yah the bently is good eh? even if you dont work on the car yourself, it helps you understand whats going on, and perhaps more importantly, helps you find out what the workshop is doing an charged you for !!

Top Bottom