E36 316i coupe upgrade to M50?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bernardryan;616712 said:
Must you also have very deep pockets for this type of conversion?

usually everyone says it could be done within 10K ...but when you've taken the bug it would atleast set you more than 15K and to be more comfortable 20K ..

so if 20K is not that deep for you then you should not worry much ....

Good.. thank you.. that is a very nice answer.. 20k. at least now i can plan for it if i am thinking of that route.. by next year, if i still want it.. i would do it around this time.. how long would the process take? considering if i have already sourced out all the parts.. but then again.. parts is a big issue. dont know where to source and from who... :)

bernardryan;616721 said:
Good.. thank you.. that is a very nice answer.. 20k. at least now i can plan for it if i am thinking of that route.. by next year, if i still want it.. i would do it around this time.. how long would the process take? considering if i have already sourced out all the parts.. but then again.. parts is a big issue. dont know where to source and from who... :)

as for parts let the work shop do it for you ...let me share an experience i had ...

t first set of m50 halfcut came by and upon taking down the oil sum it was contaminated ( nescafe coloured ) ...could not be detected as when we tested it it was so super fine ..suspected topping up with new engine oil was done...so workshop had it replaced whereby there was some sort of hesistation between the chop shop to replace it .... imagine if you've bought that engine by yourself.. do you think the chop shop would want to replace it for you ..?

so to be safe try scouting for a good workshop to start off this journey ...and same time try scouting for your manual box too ...

to go above 25% upgrade, there is another form to filled and submit to the Engineering dept.. Totally legal as long as the engine is part of the car model range and of cos of the same manufacturer.. so E36 has 1.6 all the way to the 3.2 in the M3.... so it can be done and has been done before... However, u would need to double confirm whether they have changed the rules...

Breakpopin (one of the members in the forum last time) converted from 1.8 to 2.5, no issues.. Paid the runner to submit all the relevant forms and that's it.

bernardryan;616714 said:
of course.. i would love to join you guys.. actually i was suppose to go for the gathering at borneo.. but was too pissed off with my workshop cause they haven't finished with my car.. might go pick it up today only.. i would enjoy my m43 for the time being.. i have sat in a m50b25 coupe which was selling for around 44k sometime last year end, i test drove it and it was good but the interior was not too inviting and it was a left hand drive convert...

budget? umm.. would 10k be enough?

wow after reading this you should had opt to the m50b25 coupe and do up the interior which would had been cheaper ...

ICEMAN 13;616738 said:
wow after reading this you should had opt to the m50b25 coupe and do up the interior which would had been cheaper ...

well, sometimes lessons are ONLY learnt through experience....:D

bernardryan;616680 said:
tombstone, you know ashley? what you think of his car? have you seen it? its alright right?

munkeong, so if i go b20 first, that would be alright cause its a 25% increase, then if i want to change to b25 or b28 or even b32, is that possible?

Don't mean to sound condescending, but if u had paid the rm20k extra u would have gotten my baby...pretty much all done up...just waiting for the right enthusiast owner who's gonna love her to bits just as i have done.

anyway i m still enjoying her...took her to ulu yam the other day with some of my old kakis who currently all driving mitsu evos and i am proud to say, she didnt let me down...in fact i was pretty impressed.

Back to the e36 coupe community, pretty much a very small group..bound to meet almost everybody..

bernardryan;616680 said:
munkeong, so if i go b20 first, that would be alright cause its a 25% increase, then if i want to change to b25 or b28 or even b32, is that possible?
what i've meant is to just have de b20 block but everthing else is from >b25 halfcut...thus you'll need a >b25 halcut + b20 block (that is transferable + boring the hole)..m doing the same to my m20 actually as i dun want to change block but i wan the increase displacement

My question is will it be road certified? Puspakom can? Dont know where i heard from that the rule of thumb is only 25% increase in displacement is the max.. for you since you already have a b20, you can increase to b25 without any issue..

tombstone;616742 said:
Don't mean to sound condescending, but if u had paid the rm20k extra u would have gotten my baby...pretty much all done up...just waiting for the right enthusiast owner who's gonna love her to bits just as i have done.

anyway i m still enjoying her...took her to ulu yam the other day with some of my old kakis who currently all driving mitsu evos and i am proud to say, she didnt let me down...in fact i was pretty impressed.

Back to the e36 coupe community, pretty much a very small group..bound to meet almost everybody..

The thing is that i was really contemplating on your baby, just that didn't want to front upfront 65k. Would be doing this conversion maybe in 1-2 years time only. Its all about my priorities at the moment. Who knows, maybe i'll be contented with the small ass engine i have.. hahaha.. i doubt.. but oh well..

tombstone;616742 said:

pretty much agree with you ... most find it unbelievable with such price tags , but end up reaching the origin after several merry go rounds ... there ain't any short cuts when comes to aqquiring a prestine ride as yours bro ....a specimen of it's own i would say and if i'm new hunting for a ride your's will be my pick and upmost priority for sure ....

Yup found it quite unbelievable at first but then did some checking around and found out that it is reasonable for that price and for that condition. :)

See next year or following year's bonus and then i will decide to do this conversion or not.. :)

bernardryan;616754 said:
My question is will it be road certified? Puspakom can? Dont know where i heard from that the rule of thumb is only 25% increase in displacement is the max.. for you since you already have a b20, you can increase to b25 without any issue..

please read my posting above.... 1.8 to 2.5 oso >25% increase but can be done legally and certified... Just need another step.

ICEMAN 13;616757 said:
pretty much agree with you ... most find it unbelievable with such price tags , but end up reaching the origin after several merry go rounds ... there ain't any short cuts when comes to aqquiring a prestine ride as yours bro ....a specimen of it's own i would say and if i'm new hunting for a ride your's will be my pick and upmost priority for sure ....

thanks brader for those kind words, but u have a pristine e36 urself...and having it for the last 10 years, i dont even wanna ask how much u spent...it must have been a big bomb.

Anyway i guess alot of ppl think they will be getting a bargain by getting it cheap and doing everything themselves....but unfortunately that doesnt seem to be the case...

classic example is an e30....numerous units for sale....95% out there are in terrible nick...but when those 5%, which are in very decent conditions go up for sale at "reasonable" prices, ppl tend to insult and make fun of the price....well....if they are so smart, by all means go ahead and build one...then they would know what the rest of us are talking about.

oh well...to each his own :D

bernardryan;616762 said:
Yup found it quite unbelievable at first but then did some checking around and found out that it is reasonable for that price and for that condition. :)

See next year or following year's bonus and then i will decide to do this conversion or not.. :)

cheers bro...go for it..m50 is simply awesome and gives u bang for the buck perfomances... :D

fabianyee;616768 said:
please read my posting above.... 1.8 to 2.5 oso >25% increase but can be done legally and certified... Just need another step.

i agree with fab, as long it goes through proper procedures...1.8 to 3.2 also viable as long as it has undergone the proper build...that means brakes, axle, subframe and other chassis strengthening goodies are fitted as seen in an ori m3 3.2...

the strict 25% cc ruling is mostly for proton vehicles....continentals have a higher tolerance for rigidity....
(even jpj knows proton's "superior" quality)

bernardryan;616754 said:
on JPJ/Puspakom..ur car is only register as b20 as that's de engine code stamp on the block...whats inside (b25 - b32) its not

Top Bottom