E34 rear bumper help/replacement

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

skybeemer

Club Guest
Hi Everyone,I m looking for a used or recond rear bumper to replace my E34 rear bumper which has a few cracked line. Would appreciate if someone can help me find one, or tell me where to locate one.thanks and regards

bro,

the E34 rear bumper would range anything from RM500 - 800. Do remember that the bumper strip surface differs btw the older and face-lifted models.

cheers,

FLY

Many Thanks guys, for the replies.
I will check out the chop shops - hope to find one that will be cheaper.
I was hoping that someone might have one in their store room and might want to sell it.

Hai skybeemer,
I think rebuild it is much cheaper. It may cost you much less than buying a second hand. Pse do remember you have to fork out a few more RM to repaint the colour to suit your ride.

Tq & rgds

Hi Yan,

you're right - there's the cost of repray to match the paint color of the car.

What do you mean by rebuild and how do we do it - hope you can help
thanks

They peel off the crack layer, from end to end and repalced with a new coating. In layman term they plaster with a new coating. Some workshop use fibre. Then they spray the colour to your liking. That is all to it. :D

Hope this help you a bit. Just sharing the info with you.
Tq & rgds.

Hi yan,

thanks for your quick reply. I m going to the workshop later and discuss with him
about this method.
regards,

Hi Yan,
. Yes, it can be done. the cost was RM250 including repainting a new coat to match the color - also they will add a layer of fibre.
today they've add a layer of fibre with a hardener and has smoothen the surface for repainting.
thank you for your assistance. regards

I paid RM1100 for used bumper and repaint for my E34 a few years back... PM me if you want the workshop who hleped sourced for the part and paint.

My experience with repaired E34 bumper isn't good. After one month the repaired portion cracked again. In the end I sourced for a used bumper. Saves you money to look for a used bumper which hasn't cracked. Also, buy a new bumper rubber seal while you are at it.

No point doing this kind of repairs. In the end you will end up spending more money. After so many years the BMW plastics are all harden already. Just one knock will shatter the plastic bumper like breaking biscuits.

Applying fibreglass over the plastic won't help very much. As OS rightly said, after a while it will start cracking up or the repaired area will show up quite clearly. It will be ugly, when that happens.

Did it occur to you as to why the second hand bumpers are so expensive for E34? That's because everyone is experiencing this problem and the supply is just not enough.

Better not be "penny wise pound foolish"

It seems that you need to apply tags/clippers before the repray - so explained by the workshop, if not the crack will reappear.

these tags/clippers looks like long nails (about 2 inch long)which are used to fasten/bolted the new layer fibre into the bumper so that the new layer will stick tightly. For a small crackline of about 3 inch long, 8 of these tags/clippers are used. I m not good at explaining in writing, but time will tell whether this method of fixing cracklines in the bumper will work. The workshop says this is a more secure method rather than just apply a new layer and smoothen the surface and repray.

I was thinking to spend less first. If it dont last, I will consider get a whole rear bumper and also repray the whole car externally, since the existing paint, after so many years have lost its shine.
I should have take some photos when the job was done, and post it on the forum for all to share and comment.thanks and regards

the previous owner did it for my car and within 2 mths it cracked!

Since we're on the topic of E34 bumper replacement.
I was just wondering if there was a possibility that a panel beater or bumper installer could also fit in an E39 rear bumper to fit onto an E34, be it using custom brackets or something.
From the looks of it, E39 and E34 rear bumpers seem to look quite similar in shape and size, just that the former is abit rounder.

Any bros got feedback on this?

Top Bottom