E34 M50 engine fan clutch removal

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ktteoh

Club Guest
folks, i'm planning a diy on the fan clutch replacement. i have a 32mm wrench - what i'm struggling with is the safest way to hold the water pump pulley - i know it has 4 10mm hex nuts - could i use 1 10mm wrench to grip one of the nuts to hold the pulley still while i turn the 32mm wrench clockwise to loosen the fan nut?i know there is supposed to be a water pump pulley "hold" tool but i don't have it - is there a design template which i can machine off a steel ruler :)?

ktteoh;213807 said:
folks, i'm planning a diy on the fan clutch replacement. i have a 32mm wrench - what i'm struggling with is the safest way to hold the water pump pulley - i know it has 4 10mm hex nuts - could i use 1 10mm wrench to grip one of the nuts to hold the pulley still while i turn the 32mm wrench clockwise to loosen the fan nut?

i know there is supposed to be a water pump pulley "hold" tool but i don't have it - is there a design template which i can machine off a steel ruler :)?

bro,
i have an m20 engine but the method should be the same.I remove the fan on my e30 and e34 far too many times and i don't even have a 32mm open end wrench:eek: .I use vice lock pliers.The trick is to give the wrench a sharp blow with a hammer...CLOCKWISE.The tension of the belt will hold the fan from spinning hence doing away with the need to have the water pump pulley 'hold' tool:) .

and when installing,no need to tighten using wrench.just run it thru till it tightens.the engine rotates clockwise and will therefore tighten the fan naturally.

Top Bottom