E34 525 M50 or W124 230E, 260E

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

KOZek

Club Guest
Hi all the sifus,Currently my ride is E30 318(M) 1991, very inexpensive to maintain and move around, FC Highway RM0.145/KM city RM0.175-0.18. Owned for 3 years spend about 3K for wear and tear. Now family member had grown up from 2 to 5 members + 1 old man, so think of a bigger ride.Both E34 or W124 are value for money sedan to own, but not sure which one is more economic to own.I'd tested both cars, to me they r ok and up to my expectation. Any Sifus who owned both car b4 pls give me some comment for the topic on FC, cost of spare part, engine and mechanical reliability.Thank you very much.p/s if there is any web site content such comment pls inform me as well.

for sure your 4 cylinder 1800cc compare with 6 cylinder 2500cc, FC is total different. but once from E30 change to E34, driving pleasure = priceless... (both car is great) if comfortable, keep the E30 and get E34 for family purpose.
Sorry, no experience with merz before. good luck.

now own a e39, also having w124 as well for 7 yrs before passing to my father. w124 is an excellent daily car. exceptionally firm ride, relatively easy and cheap to maintain. very distinctive when i have a bmw especially e39. driving become more pleasurable then ever. engine sound great(complare to the aeroplane sound of w124, now they can change it to electric fan), but e34's interior is a lack down compare to w124. w124 has a stronger and classier look. should get 260e as the car is heavier as 230e will be just 'adequate' only :)

I wish i could keep my e30, but my house is too small to park another car.

1. Morris Minor 1100 Pickup 1971 (parking at neighbor house)
2. E30 1991
3. Proton Arena(pinjam from my company) parking outside
4. Kancil 660 2007

I dont think i can get one more car without sell away one. Anyway Thank you Yap.

like tay said, W124 is a very good daily car, hardly gives any problems. Just a pointer, why not you look into the W124 E280 masterpiece. Price range is about the same, but the interior and engine is excellent. Walnut interior all around, 24 valve 2.8L will put a smile on your face all the time, furthermore getting a masterpiece also means you do not need to spend more money on the conversion kit to "look" masterpiece.

230 is just enough to move the W124, with "a little" room for more power. Do NOT get the 200, it has a bad kickback on the gearbox due to the power, push a bit further on the pedal, gear kick down and back up, all the 200 same. 260 is awesome, a 6 potter with big gearbox. E280 masterpiece is the last revision, comes with the 2.8L 24 valve, big gearbox. In terms of roadtax, 2.6 and 2.8 not much difference.

Thanks CK, very good info.

I just heard that W124 has wire hardness problem, any idea how to overcome this, and if need to replace with new one, is it expensive?

What kind of problem with the wiring hardness? Can elaborate a bit so that i can watch out for it? :) One common problem with W124 is the air cond compressor relay. Many have complained about it. It would cut off after awhile and "forget" to cut back on. Had this problem, but fixed it by changing a new relay and so far so good.

Generally in terms of parts, W124 parts are quite readily available. There's a few stokist in KL that have good prices. Chop shops also can still find half cut.

Oh man. I should be talking you into getting the E34 here! What am i doing? hehe.. :burnout:maybe some sifus can share some :)

Top Bottom