E30 Steering Shaft Bush Won't Fit.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

berserkdroid

Founding Member
I've been trying to change the steering shaft bush (highlighted in red, as per the pic below) on my e30 but the bush the shops keep giving me (Part No. 114508) DO NOT fit my steering shaft. In fact the bush is SMALLER than the threaded section (circled as per pic) on the shaft, so the bush won't even reach the larger tapered section of the shaft. Everything else fits just fine.Question: As far as I know, e30 steering shafts have the same size. Why is this one bigger?
steering-shaft.jpg

1983 e30 steering shafts have different sizes compared to the newer post 1988 steering shafts, so, you have to change the whole assembly or change to the e36 assembly

teejay;349684 said:
1983 e30 steering shafts have different sizes compared to the newer post 1988 steering shafts, so, you have to change the whole assembly or change to the e36 assembly

Thanks for the quick response, Teejay!

Mine's the post 1988 type, but even on the Parts ETK for post 1988 models it still refers to the smaller bush with the part number i mentioned. Actually, there once was a bush there that fit, dunno how it went missing so i don't have a sample. however i do remember that it looked the same as the ones being sold in the shops but bigger.

Perhaps it's under a different part number?

Top Bottom