e30 int/ext colour combo - opinion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alxlye23

Club Guest
Hi there all sifus,Am looking to get a e30. Going to negotiate for 1 after the holidays. The car is currently light brown on the exterior and grey interior.I appreciate any suggestion on what colour combo to adopt. Currently considering the following :-1. Sterling silver ext / Cream int2. Black ext / Black int (could be a bit too expected)Thanks.

silver ext / black leather int
black ext / red&black combo int or cream int
red ext / tanned int

alxlye23;390491 said:
Hi there all sifus,

Am looking to get a e30. Going to negotiate for 1 after the holidays. The car is currently light brown on the exterior and grey interior.
I appreciate any suggestion on what colour combo to adopt. Currently considering the following :-

1. Sterling silver ext / Cream int
2. Black ext / Black int (could be a bit too expected)

Thanks.

Bro,
My 3cents:
Maybe should get the car 1st...we don't know what conditions is the xterior and interior of the car...
- any b/kit??
- original stock?
- what year...cuz e30 do have differ on the body and tail lamp...both could give differnt outlook.
- last question...if u intend to keep to original look so it should remain as classic as possible. Thats what makes E30 famous of...classic evergreen design line shape.
BUT if u intend to MOD then...Mtech 2 does gives u the modern classic look...to help u visualise see below:

famous stirling grey on E30 Coup:
sample1.jpg

famous stirling grey on E30 saloon:
IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/ramburg/sample2.jpg[/IMG]
sample10.jpg

Interior:
cream leather.

hope this help.
Cheers!

E28driver;390886 said:
fyi Thats dolphin gray. Sterling is a silver.

emmm intrstg! R u really referring to BMW car color charts?? or Japanese/m'sian car, mate???

i've heard about ' oxford green', 'alpine white', 'titanium silver' 'kalahari beige' BUT nevr heard before 'dolphin grey'??? :eek:
some more on E30???

i know 'dolphin ...is grey...emmm is it grey ke dolphin??:driver:

maybe its good to keep to yourself if u are not sure about certain things...not to confuse other forrumers .

FYI, 'ster;ing gray' code '472' been using till 7th series.
And sorry to correct you that 'sterling' is not 'silver'....silver coming under 'titanium silver'.

to help u and others, u can refer to the follow link:
http://www.fracknaps.com/read/?p=SJDVQHDH&st=2

no heart feeling ha...:top:

If you don't know about Dolphin Gray (delphin) which by the way is a classic E30 colour, then perhaps you shouldn't be making comments in the E30 section. Its the paintcode 184 running from 1983-1990 and is an original colour for the E30 (and other BMWs of that era) carrying the following part number 51 91 1 907 211.

I'm sorry to inform you that your 472 Sterling gray pearl is of 2002-2003 vintage and while the colour exists, it is not an ori E30 colour.

The Sterling Silver colour I made reference to in my earlier post has the paint code 244 running as an OEM E30 colour from 1990-1995 with part number 51 91 9 061 827.

Take some of your own advice not to confuse other forumers, "mate".

Thank you all for your input.
Have narrowed down to e30 '89 - '91 m40 engine Manual 4 door series with max budget at RM25k inclusive of all mods, if $$ permits.
Currently looking at a Johor customs car stock standard no b/kit no nothing but engine is in good condition. Ext is beige and int in grey. And both needs re working. But was told the asking price of RM18k is rather high.

So the search continues. Its either this for RM25k ;
Black.jpg

or this for RM30k;
Grey.jpg

Have only checked out physically the grey car. Apparently this have been redone using all ori parts. Int re-wrapped in beige leather.
The black have just gone only sale at mudah.my.

Would appreciate any advice in re-doing a e30 would set you back how much.
Thanks in advance.

RAMOURA;390867 said:
Bro,
My 3cents:
Maybe should get the car 1st...we don't know what conditions is the xterior and interior of the car...
- any b/kit??
- original stock?
- what year...cuz e30 do have differ on the body and tail lamp...both could give differnt outlook.
- last question...if u intend to keep to original look so it should remain as classic as possible. Thats what makes E30 famous of...classic evergreen design line shape.
BUT if u intend to MOD then...Mtech 2 does gives u the modern classic look...to help u visualise see below:

famous stirling grey on E30 Coup:
sample1.jpg

famous stirling grey on E30 saloon:
sample2.jpg

sample10.jpg

Interior:
cream leather.

hope this help.
Cheers!

Wow ... looks great. That's why I maybe tempted to go for the GREY kalur. Looks damn chun. But you hit the nail on the head that the classic design line shape is what makes it such a beauty.
Well, wish me luck in finding one.
Cheers.

E28driver;390920 said:
If you don't know about Dolphin Gray (delphin) which by the way is a classic E30 colour, then perhaps you shouldn't be making comments in the E30 section. Its the paintcode 184 running from 1983-1990 and is an original colour for the E30 (and other BMWs of that era) carrying the following part number 51 91 1 907 211.

I'm sorry to inform you that your 472 Sterling gray pearl is of 2002-2003 vintage and while the colour exists, it is not an ori E30 colour.

The Sterling Silver colour I made reference to in my earlier post has the paint code 244 running as an OEM E30 colour from 1990-1995 with part number 51 91 9 061 827.

+1 bro

btw, change your handle lar....'E30driver', what e28????

I like imola red interior, irregardless the exterior paint...haha

well said Alex...:top:

E28driver;390920 said:

alxlye23;391015 said:
Thank you all for your input.
Have narrowed down to e30 '89 - '91 m40 engine Manual 4 door series with max budget at RM25k inclusive of all mods, if $$ permits.
Currently looking at a Johor customs car stock standard no b/kit no nothing but engine is in good condition. Ext is beige and int in grey. And both needs re working. But was told the asking price of RM18k is rather high.

So the search continues. Its either this for RM25k ;
Black.jpg

or this for RM30k;
Grey.jpg

Have only checked out physically the grey car. Apparently this have been redone using all ori parts. Int re-wrapped in beige leather.
The black have just gone only sale at mudah.my.

Thanks in advance.

re-doing has alot of meaning
do you want to do it up to all original specs?
do you want to customize?
i redid mine not only to original bmw specs, it has a cross between old school with new tech inside, i have only bmw parts from various models, e34/36 engine, M3 gearbox and brakes, etc.

be prepared for a minimum of 10k on parts alone,not including labour......

BTW 30k for an m40 engine year 91 is abit steep

would you consider a 87 coupe with 2.5 m50 engine? if yes, PM me

alxlye23;391015 said:
Thanks in advance.

To the OP alxlye23, you should get one that is already done up, otherwise refurbishing old cars can be a bottomless pit of $$$ depending on how anal you want to be. Its almost always better to have let someone else spend the money, unless money no object and you just want to enjoy the process. Goodluck!

E28driver;391066 said:
To the OP alxlye23, you should get one that is already done up, otherwise refurbishing old cars can be a bottomless pit of $$$ depending on how anal you want to be. Its almost always better to have let someone else spend the money, unless money no object and you just want to enjoy the process. Goodluck!

E28. Thanks for the advice. Most likely will heed your advice and already looking for a good condition / mildly done up. Not really looking into swapping the engine. Maybe let me engine the pureness of the e30 m40b18 for a while before i consider swapping one, and that's only if the engine gives me problems. Like you said, its a bottomless pit which i have briefly gone through with one of my previous rides. THe spare parts are still lying around in my store room. :wink:

teejay;391063 said:
re-doing has alot of meaning
do you want to do it up to all original specs?
do you want to customize?
i redid mine not only to original bmw specs, it has a cross between old school with new tech inside, i have only bmw parts from various models, e34/36 engine, M3 gearbox and brakes, etc.

be prepared for a minimum of 10k on parts alone,not including labour......

BTW 30k for an m40 engine year 91 is abit steep

would you consider a 87 coupe with 2.5 m50 engine? if yes, PM me

Teejay,

Thanks for your input. I do agree "re-doing" has lots of different meaning to different ppl. I guess my concept would be somewhere along the lines of recapturing the beauty of the e30 with some creature comforts with some new technology put in without too much work done to the engine. I rather leave the engine as is.
Which still sounds very broad. I guess once i get the car I would know what "needs" to be done and then what "to be" done.
Have already prepared up to 10k to do up the car. But after researching about it and limited cash ... a pre-done up would suffice. A bit of patience would surely help me find one.
Cheers.

hey there alxy ...

with rm30K tag for an e30 that runs on m40 ......i would say ain't worth ...upon modding and so on you would probable end up more ...

why don't you hunt down for much more cheaper e30's with lower price tag and from then on you may start your journey

with price tag of rm30 on an m40 e30 ...i would opt to e36 325 or 328 ..just a personal opinion ...

good luck on your search ...

i rather consider TEJJAY's offer ...sweet

alxlye23;391477 said:
Teejay,

Thanks for your input. I do agree "re-doing" has lots of different meaning to different ppl. I guess my concept would be somewhere along the lines of recapturing the beauty of the e30 with some creature comforts with some new technology put in without too much work done to the engine. I rather leave the engine as is.
Which still sounds very broad. I guess once i get the car I would know what "needs" to be done and then what "to be" done.
Have already prepared up to 10k to do up the car. But after researching about it and limited cash ... a pre-done up would suffice. A bit of patience would surely help me find one.
Cheers.

different strokes for different folks, i get what you mean on the restoration part...:top:

anyway, nowadays to get parts for the e30, you will need to look high and low and mostly overseas too, even halfcut shops are now selling the older engines as scrap metal!

good luck on your search!

e30 found !!!

Finally found 1 and the seller has accepted my offer. Fingers crossed for the final few steps before it becomes mine. Pretty good condition as the previous previous owner has done a good job maintaining the car.
Cheers!!

Top Bottom