E30 Headlight upgrade/conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

na993

Club Guest
My apologees if this have been covered before , i've searched forums but no hits.I feel the lights for the E30 is an area requiring serious upgrade / improving.( or is it just my car lights ?? ) Can the seniors / sifu's advise what are the options available ;1. Keeping original lights ? relays - which am told does not work for Bm's - just blows the bulb.2. HID conversion - which brand ? where to get ? @ how much RM ? any reviews /comment from those who have done it ? 3. angel eyes - this is more aesthetics, but is it done together with HID or is stand alone? @ how much RM?In summary , i want to be able to see clearer at nite , appreciate any and all input on best options available. Would also appreciate indicative cost for each suggestion. TQ

first of all, i'm no sifu, just want to write what i think. Me, myself did'nt use any HID yet.

1. Keeping original lights ? relays - which am told does not work for Bm's - just blows the bulb.
You mean, you gone to fix another relay and rewiring? Maybe it will make your light brighter a bit. I don't know. I wouldn't go this way.

2. HID conversion - which brand ? where to get ? @ how much RM ? any reviews /comment from those who have done it ?
For brighter light, this is the way. The principal simple, same as other things. the more expensive, the better it is. brand such as PIAA (more than RM2K), Phillips (RM1.8K and today somebody telling me that Phillips is offering the old version for RM999 - the one with thicker ballast, but you need to order it), EPS (RM700) etc. You can source it almost at any accessories shop. All these brand that i mention carry a warranty especially PIAA, 3 yrs warranty and all have a spare parts if anything goes wrong after the warranty period.

3. angel eyes - this is more aesthetics, but is it done together with HID or is stand alone? @ how much RM?
For E30. Forget about it (my opinion) It is not made for E30. After all it wouldn't brighten your head light. Did you know why the small light at the head light were called parking light?

i got brand new angle eyes for selling headlamp cost around rm1380.if intersted can gv me a call.anything for e30 acc i can find.012-7109594 Lawrence yee

Strider - thanks for the feedback, HID's , are they replacement lights or replacement bulbs ?
Why i ask is that am looking for new set of lights also cuz
1.my right side; height adjuster dont work, only adjust left to rite
2. left side is is motorised set and stuck pointing up - so any of you see a car helping to lite up highway signboard - its probably my car.

So whilsts i look for a new pair (BTW any up for sale ? Ready buyer here) i still feel, fro, experience , they not bright enough.so the next step would the upgrade/ i,provements discussed.

Lawrence- yours is just the angel eyes or comes together with HID's

BTW if anyone else can shed some LIGHT on this , very much appreciated.

na993;261093 said:
Strider - thanks for the feedback, HID's , are they replacement lights or replacement bulbs ?
2. left side is is motorised set and stuck pointing up - so any of you see a car helping to lite up highway signboard - its probably my car.

So whilsts i look for a new pair (BTW any up for sale ? Ready buyer here) i still feel, fro, experience , they not bright enough.so the next step would the upgrade/ i,provements discussed.

just try to pm bmwsideways ...
he has a bunch of HIDs for all types of bimmers...its rather affordable

e30 uses H1 bulbs ,
brightness u have 4k , 6k & 8K bulbs to choose from .

4k is more of a yellow hue-ed color , 6k is more on the whiter side , and 8k is slightly blue-ish or greenish , i may be wrong on all accounts :thefinger:

as for angel/eagle/gagak/burung eyes..
dont even bother ..it really throws off the look of an e30 when u got the rings on the car.

go HID & u'll be happy . no more dark streets for u
:burnout:

na993;261093 said:

I think the best for you is:

1. Why don't you try to lubricate the existing adjusting bolt so that it will work again. Use WD40 to penetrate the rust. Let it penetrate for few days. If failed, find a good used set of headlight. It will cost you around RM400 the most.

2, If you still not satisfied with the brightness of the h/light (i think you wouldn't) Fix HID.

HID set actually comprise of xenon bulb, transformer and some wiring. It will replace the existing bulb. It come in several light colour that measured in Kelvin. 4300 almost similar to the original tungsten bulb and 8000 onward will be white with bluish tint. The brightness of light will be measured in lumens or candella (lux). Not many local advertisement will mention about measured brightness instead only mention about the color of the light.

Today there is a few post on HID for sale. Quite cheap but don't know about the spare part availablity. Call him and inquire.

There is another option. Used HID. They will refurb the set that were taken out from half cut and put on a new bulb. This is oem foe that particular car and most of it is Phillips brand. I was quoted around RM750 exclude installation. Warranty not sure.

Hope this help.

BTW if anyone else can shed some LIGHT on this , very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

no.is not include.

sgbuloh_e90;261123 said:
e30 uses H1 bulbs ,
brightness u have 4k , 6k & 8K bulbs to choose from .

do the old headlamps and the later design "smileys" share the same H1 type light bulb?

I have a pair of head light for E30 that using sealed beam instead of common headlight/smiley...'koito' that used on Jap car, problem is I cannot find replacement for the sealed beam, the size is different from Jap car.

Could somebody tell me is it possible to modified the seal beam? Nak buang sayang lor....terbakar satu jee!

Thanks for all the feedback; HID's it is then, so for e30's it should H3 and likely 6k type bulb- based on description recieved, funny i would have thought more feedback, or is it that not many have converted - btw saw somewhere there is possible JPJ hassle on this upgrade, anybody wants to comment, should this topic be a new thread??
Strider - why is called parking lite or sometimes driving lites

esterix;261186 said:
do the old headlamps and the later design "smileys" share the same H1 type light bulb?

if im not mistaken i believe they share the same H1 bulb :)

For E30,

the bulb base should be H1
The light color depend on you. for reference, 4300k similar with original light (bit yellowish), 6000k will be white light. 8000k will be bluish.

not many responded cause this is common modification. it is almost plug and play. some will diy and some just let the accessories shop do and they only charge around RM50.

Those small light on top of the city light (driving light) that will be lighted when you pull the switch to the first position called parking light cause you can switch it on either left or right and left it overnight. For example if you park your car on road left shoulder, you can switch the right parking light on overnight so that your car will be visible in the dark. This parking light only 5 watt and wouldn't drain your battery. That's why if we change to CCFL angle eyes, i'm afraid you can't used your parking light any more cause it will drain out the battery if left overnight. (this only my assumption base on the CCFL that I installed to my E36. The radio will dimmed a bit if i switch on the angle eyes)

Hope these help. once again i'm no sifu.

Thanks, so e30's , it H1 type bulb and the light specs - up to personal preference.
parking lite- i didnt know you can select it to lite on left or right side , how ?
i know on the merc, you on the parking lite and use the signal stalk to indicate which side- is it the same? ( tried it but did not work- maybe mines not working)

Yeah you just gotta push the indicator stalk beyond the normal range of movement, then hold it there as you turn off the ignition and pull your key out. mie taught me this last time, later I saw it in my e30 user manual too lol.

Strider;261319 said:
Those small light on top of the city light (driving light) that will be lighted when you pull the switch to the first position called parking light cause you can switch it on either left or right and left it overnight. For example if you park your car on road left shoulder, you can switch the right parking light on overnight so that your car will be visible in the dark. This parking light only 5 watt and wouldn't drain your battery. That's why if we change to CCFL angle eyes, i'm afraid you can't used your parking light any more cause it will drain out the battery if left overnight. (this only my assumption base on the CCFL that I installed to my E36. The radio will dimmed a bit if i switch on the angle eyes)
Bro strider,dunno this function before this...how to choose right or left parking light????

evilnickwong;261426 said:
Yeah you just gotta push the indicator stalk beyond the normal range of movement, then hold it there as you turn off the ignition and pull your key out. mie taught me this last time, later I saw it in my e30 user manual too lol.

for left indicator, push it down, for right indicator push it up; same as you turn your signal, the only thing is, you need to push it a little bit further. Good luck

JP issued warning.....still want HID? ( H.ukumam i.kut D.enda ) lol

JP issued warning.....still want HID? ( H.ukumam i.kut D.enda ) lol

Top Bottom