E30 318 auto Gear Box 3 speed or 4 speed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

KOZek

Club Guest
Hello, sifu and friends,I found the info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30 said E30 318 auto only 3 speed, but my friend told me his ride E30 89 318 is 4 speed; 2,3,D,N,R,P .Confuse, cos i am going to buy the UDM from him, look for help.Thank you

my 1990 e30 318i m40 engine is 4 speed auto.very simple just drive it than you will know.

the 3 speed auto should be for the older M10 1.8 engine...

Get the manual gearbox 318i... Auto a bit 'slow' for the 318...

Thanks Fabian.

May be someone need to update the wiki web.

BTW, Fabian Sifu, for the aircon system is there any difference between local and CBU UK model?

fabianyee;518025 said:

hello, I know your car vely the fast one.. :thefinger:

KOZek;518168 said:
Thanks Fabian.

May be someone need to update the wiki web.

BTW, Fabian Sifu, for the aircon system is there any difference between local and CBU UK model?

wiki stated that the 318i has both 3 and 4 speed... So nothing wrong in that...

As for the aircon, the local CKD is not fitted with the ori BMW blower unit. So the slider which controls the flow direction (face, leg, windwhield) doesn't work...
But it's easier to remove without dismantling the dashboard.. With ori blower, u need to take out the dashboard to access the blower.

fabianyee;518311 said:

I refer to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30 Transmission gear ratios section it shown 3speed auto for 316 and 318 4speed auto for 320, 323 & 325.

Maybe I overlook the info and it hide somewhere:wink:

Anyways thanks Fabian for the effort to distinguish between CBU & CKD.

KOZek;518436 said:
I refer to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30 Transmission gear ratios section it shown 3speed auto for 316 and 318 4speed auto for 320, 323 & 325.

Maybe I overlook the info and it hide somewhere:wink:

Anyways thanks Fabian for the effort to distinguish between CBU & CKD.

I read the same page and this is what it says:

Both automatic transmissions were manufactured by ZF - they were the 3-speed 3 HP 22, which was available on the M10 316 and 318i models, and the 4-speed 4 HP 22, which was available on the 320i, 323i, 324td, 325, 325i and 325e models, as well as M40 and M42 316i and 318i.

Stated clearly that the 3 speed is for the M10 316 and 318i...

HaHa Thank Fabian, what a lazy eyes i have. I am really appreciate your reply.

I am going to buy an e30 auto from KL, recently i heard that is very difficult to buy the third party even first party insurance policy for such an old car. Just wonder any forumer know how to solve this matter.

KOZek;518896 said:
HaHa Thank Fabian, what a lazy eyes i have. I am really appreciate your reply.

I am going to buy an e30 auto from KL, recently i heard that is very difficult to buy the third party even first party insurance policy for such an old car. Just wonder any forumer know how to solve this matter.

you still can buy 1st party but not all insurance company accept 20 year old car you need to discover every insurance company,maybe you can try kurnia.

I tried Kurnia, Etiqa and a few other and they all said No! Car has to be 15 yrs and below. The only company which allowed me to insure 1st party last year was MCIS Zurich. But, you have to send yor car to Puspakom to make sure car is good condition!
I couldnt do it on time and my car wont get through puspakom as the muffler,tinting and number plate was out of the norm. So back to square one, I insured 3rd party :(

all the insurers have a quota for 3rd party policy.. And as for comprehensive, if you've been insuring the car with the same agent for some consecutive years, they would accept it... Like in my case.. So if car has been an 'insurance hopper', then it'll be difficult...

Anyway, I think we've gone off-topic... Better to start a new thread as this insurance topic deserves a thread by itself... And maybe there's aledi a thread on this issue...

fabianyee;518311 said:

As for the aircon, the local CKD is not fitted with the ori BMW blower unit. So the slider which controls the flow direction (face, leg, windwhield) doesn't work...
But it's easier to remove without dismantling the dashboard.. With ori blower, u need to take out the dashboard to access the blower.

No wonder I've never seen those 3 damn sliders do anything in any of the CKD models LOL. I never knew this hahahah. :D Now I know I can get rid of them and make space for a voltmeter or something lol.

fabianyee;518311 said:

Some CBU models blower unit 'fail' after some time, so most of the owners change to the local units, much cooler too i suppose, as for the 3 sliders it really doesn't make a difference on our weather although one could modd to make it work especially good when you use the fan blower without AC but need air circulation from outside of car ( good when in Genting,Cameron Highlands or Melbourne),and to blow air on your feet to chase away mosquitos......:smokin:
For me i just open my rear quarter windows as i have automated window controls, no need to climb to the back to open and close it .....:rock: I'm guessing my e30 is the only one in the world that has auto rear vent windows..........:rock::rock::rock:

fabianyee;518025 said:

or change your rear diff to a 4.45 ratio......:cool:, it wil be one hell of a fast auto car........:rock:

Fabian, how about the recirculation button, that's seperate from the 3 sliders, do those work on CKD models? It lights up when it's in the depressed state, so I'd assume it would?

teejay;519044 said:
Some CBU models blower unit 'fail' after some time, so most of the owners change to the local units, much cooler too i suppose, as for the 3 sliders it really doesn't make a difference on our weather although one could modd to make it work especially good when you use the fan blower without AC but need air circulation from outside of car ( good when in Genting,Cameron Highlands or Melbourne),and to blow air on your feet to chase away mosquitos......:smokin:
For me i just open my rear quarter windows as i have automated window controls, no need to climb to the back to open and close it .....:rock: I'm guessing my e30 is the only one in the world that has auto rear vent windows..........:rock::rock::rock:

Wah automated rear window control, got any spare one kah. Would like to have that in my car toooo. :wink:

NewBeemw;519483 said:
Wah automated rear window control, got any spare one kah. Would like to have that in my car toooo. :wink:

yes it's very cool to have.....in fact it's so cool that i love to open and close it when i'm driving on highways, and the driver behind must be thinking why the hell is this bimmer flapping his rear vent windows for....maybe getting ready to fly ka?....:rock:

i plan to keep this modd the one and only , same applies to the 6 speed box i have.....:smokin:, and just to make the other e30 owners jealous .....:thefinger:

Top Bottom