E23 Fuel Consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Doc

Club Guest
Hi Guys, I am about to get the E23 1984. With it's 2.8L engine and age, will the fuel consumption kill me? :beaten:

Depends on the condition of the engine. if no engine issues you should get 20 miles per gallon (imperial) around town which isn't too far off a M52 engined 328i (22-23 mpg).

Before I resolved my leaky injector issues on my E28, I was getting 12 mpg...

I'm not sure about the mpg figure, but have been getting about 270 miles in crazy KL traffic and stretches up to 350 - 380 miles on the highway..

With petrol prices soon to be increased, might put the Bimmer into weekend car mode instead of being a daily driver...

1 mile 1.609km
1 UK gallon = 4.54609liter

so

1 mpg = 1.609/4.54609 = 0.354km/l
so 23mpg = 8.142km/liter

Thanks guys...I better save up then. But thats the price for a big car... :cry:

With Great Power, Comes Great Fuel Consumption! :beaten:

Dudes..

An update - Recently removed the mechanical fan driven by the engine and plonked in a set of fans from a Mitsubishi Galant (i think it's the same as the Perdana's) Did a full tank run of 85% city and 15% highways was quite impressed that mileage improved now getting in excess of 280 miles (around 453kms)

Also - can anyone confirm if an e23 728i comes with a 80 or 100 litre tank.. Thanks..

ps. the best part is that temperature remains at 1/3 irrespective of whether it's in the morning, hot afternoons or at night - jams included..

Wow..that sounds great! I am eagerly waiting for M30Revival to drive up his E23 to Penang on Monday...ahhh the wait is torture... but if I can get that mileage then it's great.

Why does the fans make such a big difference?

Basically the fans are now activated electrically instead of being driven by the engine. Less drag on engine means it runs more efficiently. Also, before attempting such a change, the alternator must be changed to the 140 amp unit from the e32 7 series.

Originally posted by e23_728i@Feb 21 2006, 04:58 AM
Dudes..

An update - Recently removed the mechanical fan driven by the engine and plonked in a set of fans from a Mitsubishi Galant (i think it's the same as the Perdana's) Did a full tank run of 85% city and 15% highways was quite impressed that mileage improved now getting in excess of 280 miles (around 453kms)

Also - can anyone confirm if an e23 728i comes with a 80 or 100 litre tank.. Thanks..

ps. the best part is that temperature remains at 1/3 irrespective of whether it's in the morning, hot afternoons or at night - jams included..
Do you have picture of your mod ? This is interesting part to go when my fan clutch go one day .How much it cost you for the fan itself ?

The fuel tank should be 100 liters. Well thats what it says on the meter.

Mazin aka whl

Thanks Mazin.. The UK models only have a graduated scale with no indication of the capacity. Also, doesn't help that it didn't come with the owners manual.

Iqlima,
My phone was reformated recently. Let me get under the bonnet to snap a few pics and forward to you.

Cheers..

Driving in Penang I am getting 4km per litre... :beaten: wow really burning fuel! Any tips appreciated. Any news on that electric fan replacement yet?

Hey Doc, The electric fan swap was done 2 weeks ago. Now very good temperature control which i guess is expected as it is now running with 3 electric fans...

Will post the pics shortly..

Another Quesiton..does it matter if I use ROn92 or RON98 fuel? Will RON92 fuel be more economical? Thanks!

Top Bottom