DOT 5.1 brake fluid?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerman

Club Guest
Thinking of replacing my brake fluid. Is it wise to go for Dot 5.1? And what about braided brake hoses while i'm at it?

Originally posted by bimmerman@Dec 11 2004, 02:35 AM Thinking of replacing my brake fluid. Is it wise to go for Dot 5.1? And what about braided brake hoses while i'm at it?
sori aa bimmerman but do u hav ABS?? i believe datDOT5 screws up the ABS...steel braided is ok ......there is another thread started by 535..y don u check it outbefore parting with ur hard earned dough..... ;)

Hey thanks Mr Hartge! I do have ABS. Did not know Dot 5.1 will screw up ABS. Must be hugely expensive to replace the ABS unit! So what is a Dot rating suitable for ABS?

Originally posted by bimmerman@Dec 11 2004, 04:27 PM Hey thanks Mr Hartge! I do have ABS. Did not know Dot 5.1 will screw up ABS. Must be hugely expensive to replace the ABS unit! So what is a Dot rating suitable for ABS?
not sure...soli...havnt reached sifu status yet...check withosflanker...or alvin... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think DOT 4 is recommended for BMW's, if I'm not wrong. I know Dot 5.1 is definitely used on my bike .... :D so maybe not suitable for our cars.Maybe some sifu coulld explain the DOT thingy - I read about it but forgot already .. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by koryong@Dec 11 2004, 06:10 PM I think DOT 4 is recommended for BMW's, if I'm not wrong. I know Dot 5.1 is definitely used on my bike .... :D so maybe not suitable for our cars.Maybe some sifu coulld explain the DOT thingy - I read about it but forgot already .. :rolleyes:
bro,all sifu & sinfus weekend break laa....eh? u wan the cash 2day orpass 2 u TT BU next week?

Originally posted by koryong@Dec 12 2004, 02:10 AM I think DOT 4 is recommended for BMW's, if I'm not wrong. I know Dot 5.1 is definitely used on my bike .... :D so maybe not suitable for our cars.Maybe some sifu coulld explain the DOT thingy - I read about it but forgot already .. :rolleyes:
Thanks brudder! I have a can of dot 4 in my garage.Calling all sifu-sifu. Still in Sepang izzit?

Originally posted by koryong@Dec 11 2004, 01:10 PM I think DOT 4 is recommended for BMW's, if I'm not wrong. I know Dot 5.1 is definitely used on my bike .... :D so maybe not suitable for our cars.Maybe some sifu coulld explain the DOT thingy - I read about it but forgot already .. :rolleyes:
What DOT means -http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

Bimmerman: Concur, stick to DOT4. DOT 5 (if not mistaken) is silicone based & this will definately screw up your ABS. Something to do with little / no lubrication for the ABS pump (???) Unless you're doing lots of heavy braking (ala track), then DOT 4 in most cases, would be more than sufficient to meet your needs.Also, if your can of DOT 4 is older than 1 yr old, best to use new bottle of DOT 4. That's because brake fluid is hygroscopic (ie. attaracts moisture) & after being left "unseal" for 1 yr, the moisture absorbed would have reuced it's performance.If you want better performance for track, then just replace & flush the pipes just before track day. Hope have been of use to you.

Have been using dot 4... no complaints ..I guess i wont kacau it lor ...Koryong : What bike u got man ??? wah biker already wor now .. cheers :D

Originally posted by kctam@Dec 14 2004, 02:08 AM Bimmerman: Concur, stick to DOT4. DOT 5 (if not mistaken) is silicone based & this will definately screw up your ABS. Something to do with little / no lubrication for the ABS pump (???) Unless you're doing lots of heavy braking (ala track), then DOT 4 in most cases, would be more than sufficient to meet your needs.Also, if your can of DOT 4 is older than 1 yr old, best to use new bottle of DOT 4. That's because brake fluid is hygroscopic (ie. attaracts moisture) & after being left "unseal" for 1 yr, the moisture absorbed would have reuced it's performance.If you want better performance for track, then just replace & flush the pipes just before track day. Hope have been of use to you.
Thanks for the great advise brudder! My Dot 4 is new and still sealed. Bought for my Nissans for topping up. Track use? I wish! My 520 would be a real laughing stock on any track. Everything stock standard. Always kena bullied by Perdana on highway. Shy only lah.So does this mean that bimmers modified for racing must upgrade to a different type of ABS in order to use Dot 5?

Its not the car but the driver. Ultimately, you want to enjoy yourself on the track, so who cares if you're "slow". Speed is all relative. Did you know that if you're "slow" but consistant, you can actually keep up if not beat the "fast" drivers as they would lose time on the corners.On your question on the modded ABS, not sure lah, bro. My technical knowledge is only rudimentary. Perhaps some of the sifu's here will be able to explain more in detail.

I think even if Schumarker was driving my car also not much hope lah. You know lah, E34 is not exactly lightweight and coupled with 149 stock standard ponies will not get you very far very fast. Vanos - Schmanos also not too effective on a 2.0. My car feels like it's got Turbo-lag. I mean nothing happens before 2500RPM and when you get there suddenly you get a gentle shove up to 6,500RPM on sports mode. And just when i'm about to develop a grin thinking my car ain't not too bad, whoopee doo, i'm overtaken by a Perdana V6, and then a Honda Accord 2.0 and then a Kancil. And these guys were not even racing.Any E36 318i guys out there with 18" rims and 235mm tires want to meet up on the track? I think were more or less in the same league. How do we arrange a track outing anyway? I'm game! :D

dot5 and dot5.1 are two different fluids altogether.dot5 is silicon-based and will mess up rubber brake lines. u CANNOT use this fluid in normal road cars.dot5.1 is a relatively new development that denotes a fluid that is higher boiling point than dot4 but still safe for road car use. and yes, you can use this in ABS (Antilock Braking System) equipped cars.that said, there are plenty of dot4 fluids out there with much higher boiling points than some dot5.1 fluids. when buying a brake fluid - especially performance fluids - always check the printed wet & dry boiling points of the fluids. the higher the better, especially the wet bp. brake fluid - even dot5.1 - is hygroscopic (ie it absorbs moisture) and bp will decrease over time.more importantly than using dot4 or dot5.1 fluid is to change ur fluid regularly (especially in our weather, or if u drive like a hooligan). a brand new dot4 fluid is always better than 2-yr old dot5.1 fluid.redd

Talking bout that, should change my fluid before going to ulu yam. Redd, you cuming with us??

Thanks for clearing the air Redd. So DOT 5.1 is safe to use with ABS then. Yup, looks like time to change fluid.

albundy, saw the posting for ulu yam on dec 26. ill check with the italia auto boys if anyone is interested, but not sure la. a lil close to xmas. the boys cld still be sleeping off their hangovers. ;)what time r u all meeting up?redd

Top Bottom