Do F10 come with TPM Sensor?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Eclipse

Club Guest
Hi Bro. I just notice that there something call 'TPM Sensor' inside F10 wheels.I wonder are they installed it in Malaysia's F10 also?

in USA, the physical TPMS is compulsory, car built 2007 onwards (direct TPMS)... however in malaysia (not sure about in the CBU), the car computer is using the ABS, traction control (indirect TPMS) etc to determine that tyre is deflating/flat or not rather then a physical unit that measure the exact PSI of the tire... there is advantages and disadvantages for direct and indirect TPMS...

have a look at the below video to see the differences (the audi in the video is using indirect one):
[video=youtube;yceyIAvV_9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yceyIAvV_9o[/video]

Eclipse;662004 said:
Good info. Thank you.

Easy experiment, deflate all 4 wheels down by 10 psi and drive about to see if alarm triggered. If yes, then TPMS installed, otherwise, no TPMS.. now go fill back your tyres.. :1:

By right TPMS is able to give u exact pressure reading on each wheel. Is this available in your meter cluster?

Btw, that was a stupid video.. the TPMS system is a separated add on independent system while the Audi is cleverly uses the integrated car stability control system [our BMW has this too] to measure the relative revolution per minute for each wheel to identify change of overall rolling surface diameter for each wheel.

astroboy;662028 said:
Easy experiment, deflate all 4 wheels down by 10 psi and drive about to see if alarm triggered. If yes, then TPMS installed, otherwise, no TPMS.. now go fill back your tyres.. :1:

By right TPMS is able to give u exact pressure reading on each wheel. Is this available in your meter cluster?

Btw, that was a stupid video.. the TPMS system is a separated add on independent system while the Audi is cleverly uses the integrated car stability control system [our BMW has this too] to measure the relative revolution per minute for each wheel to identify change of overall rolling surface diameter for each wheel.

HI Astro,

How fast does the BMW system can detect whether the tire is flat or not? Because I was told that it takes more than few KM before the system realized that the tire is flat.

sdf77;812138 said:
HI Astro,

How fast does the BMW system can detect whether the tire is flat or not? Because I was told that it takes more than few KM before the system realized that the tire is flat.

Very Fast...am talking out of experience...but you have to set the Flat tire monitor first....

If I'm not mistaken, after you fill up tyre pressure, you need to initialize it in idrive. If any one drop more than 25% from the initialized pressure, then it will trigger the alarm.

On the other hand, I might be wrong :p

sdf77;812138 said:
HI Astro,

Very very fast depending on the rate of pressure lost! I hit a pothole, in less than 100m the warning came on because of bended rim tyre lost all pressure.

Nightswan;812158 said:
If I'm not mistaken, after you fill up tyre pressure, you need to initialize it in idrive. If any one drop more than 25% from the initialized pressure, then it will trigger the alarm.

On the other hand, I might be wrong :p

You are Right ... but i dont think its more than 25% as i know that once pressure is lost...it will trigger the alarm...but the most annoying Alarm i hate to see is the Washer Alarm...Kacau me!

sixpotters;812167 said:
Very very fast depending on the rate of pressure lost! I hit a pothole, in less than 100m the warning came on because of bended rim tyre lost all pressure.

That is quite fast. Because of the limitation of RFT where once there is no air, the car must be driven like 80km/h or else the tire will fail. Just wondering if the air pressure loss is not that significant but it keeps going on until the point you are actually running without air and the system does not trigger. I heard this one case where the tire fail because the driver drove on above the limit without air because the system does not trigger. I don't know what is wrong, whether the system fail or something else...

I had a low pressure alert from my idrive once,and the alert came out again after few days inspite of the tire being air filled.Found out from tire shop that a nail was the culprit .so I think that TPM at work here..I think it is not so much about exact readings as long as you are being warned about your low tire pressures..and to act on it..

Top Bottom