DIY - Polishing plastic headlamps which have turned yellowish and hazy

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
Hi guys,Some of you may face this problem, yellowish and hazy plastic headlamps. This is what I have done on a Kia Spectra, a simple DIY process... enjoy the photos.Pic 1: The plastic headlamp looks yellowish and hazy due to oxidation
1-1.jpg
Pic 2: A closer look at the oxidized plastic surface
2-1.jpg
Pic 3: The difference between treated surface (left) and non-treated surface (right)
3-1.jpg
Pic 4: A closer look at the difference
4-1.jpg
Pic 5: After 1 layer of treatment
5-1.jpg
Pic 6: Final result - crystal clear
6-2.jpg
Pic 7: Final result - crystal clear
7-1.jpg
Pic 8: Another shot on the final result - crystal clear headlamp
8-1.jpg
Pic 9: Night view
Picture003-2.jpg
Total investment: RM9.00 + some elbow grease + some valuable timeResult: 99% (why not 100%? coz nothing beats brand new original headlamps from factory)Satisfaction: 100%...priceless

Can you please explain in detail on how you did the polishing and what kind of chemical or solution used?

jeffreyewe;500774 said:
Can you please explain in detail on how you did the polishing and what kind of chemical or solution used?

Step 1: Wash your headlamps with car shampoo to ensure that they are grease and dirt free

Step 2: Ensure that the headlamp surface is dry and cool

Step 3: Go to hardware shop, buy a bottle of Brasso metal polisher

Step 4: Use some very fine cloth, dab some of the Brasso onto the cloth and in a circular motion + some elbow grease, clean off the oxidized surface.

Step 5: A cloudy layer will appear and this is extremely normal, once the cloudy layer has dried, buff off the headlamp surface with a clean soft cloth

Step 6: Rinse off with fresh water and wipe dry with fine cloth

Step 7: Wipe off the sweat from your head, face, body, hands, etc.... and stare and admire

:top: Happy DIY bro

I have seen a lot of E39 having cloudy headlamp lens, it is time to DIY this on your E39 and let me know the results :)

Russie;500782 said:
Step 1:Step 4: Use some very fine cloth, dab some of the Brasso onto the cloth and in a circular motion + some elbow grease, clean off the oxidized surface.]

The after finished pics looks good. What is elbow grease??

Actually any rubbing compound would do and I believe my Meguiar Scratch X would suffice but that cost me RM60 la.. :p

My frequent accessories shop uses another method, spray with rim cleaner and immediately you'll see dark brown sludge flowing down from the polycarbonate headlight cover, then the cover will turn dull and must be polished. I saw him using Soft99 to polish and result is pretty okay.

Cleaned these plastic headlamp covers in March 2010 and after 5 months, they got oxidized again...

BEFORE
100_3508.jpg

WIP
100_3512.jpg

AFTER
100_3520.jpg

jarance;556585 said:
russie, maybe can find some clear coat for protection.

dunno what kind of clear coat can be applied...maybe i should clean these covers every month

Top Bottom