DIY oil change

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

redlotus

Club Guest
Out of curiosity, how many of us do our own oil ( and filter) change DIY? Read an article in TotalBMW ( and Bimmerfest.com) abt oil and filter change , pretty cool that these UK and US fellas actually do many things DIY.

i only know 2 fellas who change oil themselves.. me too dumb and lazy for something that challenging :)

Labour charges are very expensive in the UK and in the US hence why the DIY culture ... Over here labour is pretty cheap while the parts are expensive.

Talking about oil change i wonder if there any similar products in m'sia like the pics below? It's the Mivetac oil extractor with a capacity of 8.8 liters. Suitable for 6 cylinder BMW engine. Makes short work of oil change and you can dispose the oil at most workshop.

USD70
mityvac-1-thumb.jpg

B33mEr;599520 said:
Labour charges are very expensive in the UK and in the US hence why the DIY culture ... Over here labour is pretty cheap while the parts are expensive.

Talking about oil change i wonder if there any similar products in m'sia like the pics below? It's the Mivetac oil extractor with a capacity of 8.8 liters. Suitable for 6 cylinder BMW engine. Makes short work of oil change and you can dispose the oil at most workshop.

USD70
mityvac-1-thumb.jpg

This is to siphon oil from the crank case. The E60/E90 N52 and E90 N46 don't have dipstick, so this perkakas kenot pakai.. :4:

U will surprise when u read the oversea forum, they almost DIY everything.

bmw7833;599578 said:
U will surprise when u read the oversea forum, they almost DIY everything.

haha! all pokai fellas like me.. :4: Also because of that, they manage to send people to the moon much earlier than us.. we only DIY make babies.. :3:

astroboy;599875 said:

Thanks astroboy. Good article there. Yeah 25-40Nm was what was recommended by TotalBMW when tightening the oil filter cap, even suggested to be lesser than the sump plug. You didn't fit a copper seal before screwing the sump plug in? And while the sump plug may be easier to reach in a smaller sized car (e90) did you face any problems reaching for it in an e39? One jack enough? Left/right no difference I suppose? Or did you use two?...

redlotus;599880 said:
Thanks astroboy. Good article there. Yeah 25-40Nm was what was recommended by TotalBMW when tightening the oil filter cap, even suggested to be lesser than the sump plug. You didn't fit a copper seal before screwing the sump plug in? And while the sump plug may be easier to reach in a smaller sized car (e90) did you face any problems reaching for it in an e39? One jack enough? Left/right no difference I suppose? Or did you use two?...

One jack is enough, does not matter big or small car, all BMW needs to jack because ground clearance too low.. My Avanza MPV no need jack, terus boleh musuk.. haha..

Make sure u secure the car with whatever means from falling or rolling off the jack. I lay bricks under the tyre just in case. Must pay attention to such little safety measure. Our car no matter how light also its heavy than Jap cars. Japanese car jack pretty shaky when jack BMW. My E90 don't have car jack.. and if u look at my jack mount, totally scary.. I also broke one of my jack mount too, jack slipped :(

As for the copper oil seal.. didn't bother to change also despite supplied with the oil filter.. no leak thus far haha!

B33mEr;599520 said:

USD70
mityvac-1-thumb.jpg

I have something similar and this can be bought in Malaysia. I change all the oil myself, e30,e36 and e39.

I DIY oil change too, it is very easy, in fact i just change the alternator this morning.

eeehhh.....................after changed the Engine lubricant oil then u all do the manual jumper reset the oil meter rather than using the computer devices to reset the oil meter ?

For safety, i have 1 suggestion that is put ur spare tyre under the car after u jacked ur car up. If the car really fall down then this spare tyre really safe ur life.

Top Bottom