difficulty in starting the car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chong82

Club Guest
Once in a while i need to step on the throttle while i turn the ignition key on, if not the car wont start.Luckily this is rare, but still im curious as to what is causing it. Battery Weak? Don't think so....

perryyip73;509143 said:
If ur battery still good condition then perhaps fuel pump going to kaput soon :D

great mind thinks alike~!! hahahahah
But still wish its not the fuel pump...

mine also same problem, will the fuel pump be ex? or can use after market branded one?

I had the same problems with my E46 a few weeks back until it finally kaput. I just changed the pump not the whole housing. The damage, RM 700 including labor. But the whole interior smells petrol, why drink n drive while u can sniff n fly.

Cheers

what is the spec of bmw ori fuel pump? will the walbro 255L fuel pump suitable?

That's normal for e46. Especially if it didn't start on the first crane. Get use to it.

lawsarus;509756 said:
I had the same problems with my E46 a few weeks back until it finally kaput. I just changed the pump not the whole housing. The damage, RM 700 including labor. But the whole interior smells petrol, why drink n drive while u can sniff n fly.

Cheers

A recon oil pump? even for a 2nd oil pump, rm700 is cheap...

daan;510200 said:
That's normal for e46. Especially if it didn't start on the first crane. Get use to it.

Is there any difference between the pre-facelift and the facelift version for oil pump?

daan;510200 said:

Mine start always on first crank for a 2005 model E46.. :rock:

All e46 starts at first crank. If it can't do on 1st crank, something's wrong. Or about to go wrong.

Dylan
DKTUNING.com

Hi all,

I have the same issue, sometime need to step on the pedal to fire up, despite I've just change the fuel pump.

It not the same with issue related to idle valve control, which it will fire up without stepping on the pedal and then just die down.

What do you think is the problem, Dylan?

yaa.is the idle valve control.

iphoein;521656 said:
Hi all,

I have the same issue, sometime need to step on the pedal to fire up, despite I've just change the fuel pump.

It not the same with issue related to idle valve control, which it will fire up without stepping on the pedal and then just die down.

What do you think is the problem, Dylan?

hi guy, i had the same problem. but after change the IVC. for a month plus since then, no more can't start and power lack problem.
The IVC i get from jln ipoh is rm610. (no labour charge as is a spare-part shop)
actual loc is opp the famous yong tou foo place.Munich Auto supply sb. tel. 40432418. foong.

andrew wong;521744 said:
hi guy, i had the same problem. but after change the IVC. for a month plus since then, no more can't start and power lack problem.
The IVC i get from jln ipoh is rm610. (no labour charge as is a spare-part shop)
actual loc is opp the famous yong tou foo place.Munich Auto supply sb. tel. 40432418. foong.

Yes, might be the ICV goin to kaput. Mine e46 Yr 2000 also start at 1st crank...

iphoein, I have no idea really what could go wrong. What I know is it should start at the first crank. Taking an old car for example, my 1991 proton saga. It is in pristine condition, with all originals. The carburettor is still in factory default calibration. I could still start the car with the first crank after 1 month. Or 2-3 months if I disconnect the battery.

Dylan thanks for your reply.

Hook to a DIS at Albert place and could not find any fault. So will monitor the situation.

Hi All,
Every car must start at the first crank.
If can't , there must be some problems:

1) Fuel Pump (please check the presure) . How to check? Switch ON your Ignition, look at the fuel rail near the Injector. There have one valve same like your tyre air valve.open the cover.Then try push with sharp thing. Be careful to your eyes. If the fuel pump working well, the fuel sprays. If not the fuel not sprays.

2) Air . Maybe its IVC or Air flow Sensor. Because these things control the fuel and air mixtures. For your DIY check, try to disconnect your IVC and start your engine. I'm not sure this helps you or not.

3) Ignition. I think should not be the problems.

hi guys , i had the same problem last 2 wks and today, initially they service the idle valve , toady morning cant start the car, the workshop guys came , took the car , check the idle valve again , used some engine conditioner ( cost me rm 65 for it ) did computer checking , and car is starting fine after that. My worry is , if the same problem happens again , difficulty to start and have to press the pedal to maintain the rpm , but yet the engine dies off again , what next ? is this related to faulty fuel pump ? the mechanic did told me that i might have change the whole block if it hapens again ? they didnt really what explain what this is , and admit i was in a hurry to pick up my kids from school ? any body can help me with this ? mine is an e46 316ise manual 2001, bought from uk.tq for all the help

Hi badmd,

if your car symptom is that it will start but need to press pedal to maintain rpm if not will die, then most probably is ICV.

Unless the ICV crack or damage, it can be service, i.e. clean it. The ICV is a valve as the name suggest with a moving part inside similar to those ball valve we use in the house plumbing.

After a while, it will be clog/full of carbon/dust deposit stuck to it impending its movement and it need to be clean, and I meant clean it and not just spray it. If you just spray it, it won't last very long.

You might as well need to service the whole throttle body as carbon/dust build up will also affect it.

Other wise change it, cost abt RM700.

thanks a lot iphoein , will certainly keep this in mind the next time around.sure is good to have experts around in this forum,cheers.

Top Bottom