Diamond shape key rechargeable battery flat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
any position would do.. :)

as long as the black part is close to the charger..it should be fine

cyne;683494 said:
Can I revive this thread ? I am planning to open up my 1 and only key, to replace the batteries. How can I be sure that its the battery flat without having an indicator on the key itself (i.e. an LED). I really find it a bit annoying without having a remote for the locks.

Please help.

The original diamond is designed for non replaceable parts. If it is not the battery flat then after you open the key then you have to use tape to tape it back then you key will be very ugly. The transponder in original diamond key is an IC which solder to the circuit board. If you really want to open the key make sure you have enough skill to cut the shell because you might damage the transponder and the circuit board. If you damage the transponder then you not able to start your engine.

seewai;651560 said:
Update:
After a week's usage, this morning the key acted up again, refusing to remotely open the doors hrmpphhhh!!

I put the blame on TI-Tan's 528i and T2's M5. Spent too much time chatting last night, in between the 2 supercars made my key jealous.

Attempting to recharge the key, until tomorrow morning.

Edit: Thanks aliris for lending me the charger for indefinate period of time.

It might be ignition coil is weak. Since you can charge the key from the charger then is meaning your key is ok.

If really having the problem on recharge then you can order a non rechargeable key then you will not have this problem again. But still need to change the non rechargeable battery few years later.

cyne;683494 said:
Can I revive this thread ? I am planning to open up my 1 and only key, to replace the batteries. How can I be sure that its the battery flat without having an indicator on the key itself (i.e. an LED). I really find it a bit annoying without having a remote for the locks.

Please help.

our CM Haywire had opened the diamond key before..u can pm him for further info

YaZmEeN;683627 said:
our CM Haywire had opened the diamond key before..u can pm him for further info

Well what I did was cut open the old remote, solder back the switch which has come off, and put the old circuit board onto a new case bought from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-SERIES-3-BTN-REMOTE-UNCUT-KEY-BLADE-CASE-/320769404041?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaf58ac89#ht_500wt_1413

And then go to a locksmith to have the blades cut.

Note that if you are not careful you will not be able to use the old case, might as well just buy a new case like I did.

Careful when buying a new case also because there are 2 blade types:

5222565185_e8a021c1ef.jpg

Diamond_Keyfob.jpg

tweiboon;683518 said:
The original diamond is designed for non replaceable parts. If it is not the battery flat then after you open the key then you have to use tape to tape it back then you key will be very ugly. The transponder in original diamond key is an IC which solder to the circuit board. If you really want to open the key make sure you have enough skill to cut the shell because you might damage the transponder and the circuit board. If you damage the transponder then you not able to start your engine.

Just to share with the rest, The diamond shaped key is not meant to be opened as it has a self-charging battery! I forced mine opened and Jarance did an "open heart analysis" but failed to revive it! So, have to live with the remote not working but able to start car only.

Comprehensive discussion on the same subject. Click here

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forum...t=30425&page=7

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?36644-diamond-shape-remote-key

I agree with you the repair is not as easy. A recent DIY attempt (without my knowledge) by the panel workshop that repaired my accidented E39 killed my key recently. Initial analysis by the person who "created" my key earlier this year is that the guy attempted to replace the battery and broke certain electronics inside. Now my key is with its "creator" attempting to fix it. If fix fails he'll need to replace some components with new ones.

I'll try claim partial, if not full, repair charges from the panel workshop, as agreed by them earlier.

It is almost certain that it's the charging mechanism of my car that fails. Because as discussed earlier, I managed to charge the key using an induction charger, of an electric toothbrush, courtesy of bro aliris.

Jerman;684412 said:
Just to share with the rest, The diamond shaped key is not meant to be opened as it has a self-charging battery! I forced mine opened and Jarance did an "open heart analysis" but failed to revive it! So, have to live with the remote not working but able to start car only.

Comprehensive discussion on the same subject. Click here

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forum...t=30425&page=7

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?36644-diamond-shape-remote-key

seewai;684420 said:
I agree with you the repair is not as easy. A recent DIY attempt (without my knowledge) by the panel workshop that repaired my accidented E39 killed my key recently. Initial analysis by the person who "created" my key earlier this year is that the guy attempted to replace the battery and broke certain electronics inside. Now my key is with its "creator" attempting to fix it. If fix fails he'll need to replace some components with new ones.

I'll try claim partial, if not full, repair charges from the panel workshop, as agreed by them earlier.

It is almost certain that it's the charging mechanism of my car that fails. Because as discussed earlier, I managed to charge the key using an induction charger, of an electric toothbrush, courtesy of bro aliris.

Then you must confirm and tell us or pm me what is the repair cost that you need to pay before do the repair. If the repair cost is very high you better make another key either original key or China key.

Few months ago, I sent my diamond shape spare key to a handyman shop to replace the battery. The shop opened the plastic holder and replaced the old battery with another non-rechargable battery. Spare key was then sync and it has been working fine (all functions working i.e. remote door open, close, open boot etc).

allow me to revive this thread. i got a question, is it safe to use non-rechargeable battery ie cr2025 to replace the original rechargeable vl2020 inside the diamond shaped key? no overheating issue?

huskar3399;756228 said:
allow me to revive this thread. i got a question, is it safe to use non-rechargeable battery ie cr2025 to replace the original rechargeable vl2020 inside the diamond shaped key? no overheating issue?
Firstly, the original diamond shaped key is not meant to be opened? It's rather a challenging task to do it. I managed to open it but failed to revive the remote-control function despite changing the CR2025 battery. Mine may not be the battery but could be the failure of the circuit board. So, good luck bro.

Read more here
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?30425-e39-key-fob

Jerman;756240 said:
Firstly, the original diamond shaped key is not meant to be opened? It's rather a challenging task to do it. I managed to open it but failed to revive the remote-control function despite changing the CR2025 battery. Mine may not be the battery but could be the failure of the circuit board. So, good luck bro.

Read more here
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?30425-e39-key-fob
thanks a lot bro. i actually managed to open up the key fob. i slot in the cr2025 and tried resync but nothing seems to be working. i checked & found out that the -ve terminal is loose at the circuit board. now i am preparing to resolder the terminal and see what's the outcome.

just now i tried to start the car w/o the battery and it worked. i think my circuit is still ok due to that.

huskar3399;756243 said:
thanks a lot bro. i actually managed to open up the key fob. i slot in the cr2025 and tried resync but nothing seems to be working. i checked & found out that the -ve terminal is loose at the circuit board. now i am preparing to resolder the terminal and see what's the outcome.

just now i tried to start the car w/o the battery and it worked. i think my circuit is still ok due to that.

Reply your PM and your enquiry here.

I have read that it possible to replace a non chargeable battery in the key without much problem in other forum.

The coil for charging is not boost charge but trickle charge so overheating might not be encountered.
However, you might have to replace the battery every 6 months or so. I have charge alkaline battery (duracell) before even though it mention
that it is non chargeable.

As for the ability to start the car, it is because the RFID (Radio Frequency Identity) chip is a seperate circuit from the remote control
board. It is just resting on the PCB. Hence you can start the car but you cannot open/close the door via remote if the PCB is faulty.

jarance;756251 said:
Reply your PM and your enquiry here.

I have read that it possible to replace a non chargeable battery in the key without much problem in other forum.

The coil for charging is not boost charge but trickle charge so overheating might not be encountered.
However, you might have to replace the battery every 6 months or so. I have charge alkaline battery (duracell) before even though it mention
that it is non chargeable.

As for the ability to start the car, it is because the RFID (Radio Frequency Identity) chip is a seperate circuit from the remote control
board. It is just resting on the PCB. Hence you can start the car but you cannot open/close the door via remote if the PCB is faulty.
i see. my resolder mission was done but somehow the remote is still not giving any signal after several times of resync. i guess it's the circuit board that have problem but in the meantime i will continue play around with the remote before making new key. my key fob now looks like wounded because i just wrap it with electrical tapes. lol

huskar3399;756279 said:
i see. my resolder mission was done but somehow the remote is still not giving any signal after several times of resync. i guess it's the circuit board that have problem but in the meantime i will continue play around with the remote before making new key. my key fob now looks like wounded because i just wrap it with electrical tapes. lol

u only have 1 remote or 2 remotes ? If only have 1 remote and keep on resync but still not working then it could be another problem. That is remote receiver problem.

tweiboon;756305 said:
u only have 1 remote or 2 remotes ? If only have 1 remote and keep on resync but still not working then it could be another problem. That is remote receiver problem.
unfortunately i only have one remote. if the remote has problem, what's the best solution? get another one from ebay and transfer the transponder from the old remote to the new one? i understand that you have the capability to clone the key. we should get in touch. hehe.

huskar3399;756386 said:
unfortunately i only have one remote. if the remote has problem, what's the best solution? get another one from ebay and transfer the transponder from the old remote to the new one? i understand that you have the capability to clone the key. we should get in touch. hehe.

If not diamond shape key then for sure you can get a key from ebay and transfer everything which needed. But if diamond shape key circuit board having problem then you are not able to transfer already. This is due to diamond shape board comes with the IC transponder together.

To confirm the remote circuit board or remote receiver having problem then you have to meet me to test it out.

huskar3399;756386 said:

Bro if you don't mind, I can PM you the person's contact who did a few fantastic tricks to my E39 before. He could duplicate a non-rechargeable diamond-shaped key for you (as he no longer supplies rechargeable diamond-shaped keys, he quoted "less people use" & "harder to source for hardware" as main reason).

If you wonder how much it would cost, I leave it to you to discuss with him on your requirements and what he proposed and is capable of offering his services to you.

Cheers.

seewai;756406 said:
Bro if you don't mind, I can PM you the person's contact who did a few fantastic tricks to my E39 before. He could duplicate a non-rechargeable diamond-shaped key for you (as he no longer supplies rechargeable diamond-shaped keys, he quoted "less people use" & "harder to source for hardware" as main reason).

If you wonder how much it would cost, I leave it to you to discuss with him on your requirements and what he proposed and is capable of offering his services to you.

Cheers.

thanks bro seewai. it would be great. i really would like to know the contact details so i'll have alternatives.

tweiboon;756402 said:
If not diamond shape key then for sure you can get a key from ebay and transfer everything which needed. But if diamond shape key circuit board having problem then you are not able to transfer already. This is due to diamond shape board comes with the IC transponder together.

To confirm the remote circuit board or remote receiver having problem then you have to meet me to test it out.
bro tb, i surely will contact you to see my key. i got your number already.

Top Bottom