Diamond shape key rechargeable battery flat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

seewai

S62B50
Hello,Has anyone encountered this issue before? The rechargeable battery has been replaced with new one 2 months ago (after using for 2-3 months) to isolate root cause, and this morning it went flat again.Car accessories guy says it could be due to defective key "cylinder", as they say it's the cylinder that charges the key battery when car is being driven.Appreciate your inputs.Cheers.seewai

It used induction charging..you could try placcing the key on the base of braun/oral b rechargeable power toothbrush that uses similar system overnight and see how it goes

Seewai,

I don't think the rechargeable battery is flat. Try to sync your remote key again.

Bro herbert,

The procedure that I found was to perform the following, but to no avail. I believe Ah Fai @ Optimum tried whatever he could, when I was there earlier this afternoon too.

1. Get in and “close all doors”
2. Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. When turning the ignition on &
off it's not necessary to start the engine. The next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3. First key - hold down button #2 (unlock button) while pressing button #1 (lock button) three times. Release
all buttons. All doors should lock and unlock on their own 1 time.
4. Immediately do the same thing with the other remote(s) within 30 seconds of the previous remote.
5. After all remotes have been done, turn the ignition on & off quickly again to finalize the process. When
turning the ignition on & off it's not necessary to start the engine.

aliris;649678 said:
It used induction charging..you could try placcing the key on the base of braun/oral b rechargeable power toothbrush that uses similar system overnight and see how it goes

Bro unfortunately we don't have a rechargeable power toothbrush at home, and I think it's quite costly to buy one for the sake of testing this hehe.

seewai;649732 said:
Bro unfortunately we don't have a rechargeable power toothbrush at home, and I think it's quite costly to buy one for the sake of testing this hehe.

I got one at home..can bring to my office tomorrow if you want..next to tanchong nissan jalan kemajuan pj

aliris;649757 said:
I got one at home..can bring to my office tomorrow if you want..next to tanchong nissan jalan kemajuan pj

Your idea seems interesting bro. Your location sounds to me like Wisma Celcom?

Bro Seewai i got the same problem.. Replaced the battery and it last me about 1 month. Let me know if the Braun toothbrush workss.. Cheers

mmm.. interesting. braun toothbrush charger to charge the key?

who have used it before and confirm that it work?

seewai;649777 said:
Your idea seems interesting bro. Your location sounds to me like Wisma Celcom?

yes you are right.I got it with me..will be back in my office after lunch..

just give it a try..you've got nothing to lose..

just text/call me
zerooneninetwotwozerotwosixfivenine..

enkil;649806 said:
Bro Seewai i got the same problem.. Replaced the battery and it last me about 1 month. Let me know if the Braun toothbrush workss.. Cheers

Bro enkil, your key battery lasts just ONE MONTH? You must be using it regularly to wind down and up the windows :)

Bro I'm in Glenmarie this afternoon but will see if I could drop by MHS after 4pm.

I'm out with my other set of key which has a separate remote (that works but cannot open boot). I left my key that has flat battery at home.

One more thing, if you need the double vanos seal kit, I can bring along as well. Will SMS / call before I come.

I'm reachable at kosongsatusembilantigalimalapanlapanlapanenamtujuh.

Cheers.

aliris;649862 said:
yes you are right.I got it with me..will be back in my office after lunch..

just give it a try..you've got nothing to lose..

just text/call me
zerooneninetwotwozerotwosixfivenine..

I've just put my key onto the "charging station". Will try let it charge for few hours and try to use and/or to sync it back then and see how it goes.

Many thanks to aliris.

View attachment 19588

Update:

Yesterday evening, aliris SMS me to insert the key the other way round (turn 180 deg) instead. So I did and let it charge from around 9pm until I 9am this morning, total 12 hours.

And the result is positive. No re-sync required. Not sure this 12-hour charging with "external charger" would last how many months/days. But I guess I would start hunting for 1, as a tool for just-in-case-I-couldn't-get-the-problem-fixed.

Many thanks to aliris for his induction-charging idea.

I'll meet up and return the charger to aliris soon.

seewai;650085 said:
I've just put my key onto the "charging station". Will try let it charge for few hours and try to use and/or to sync it back then and see how it goes.

Many thanks to aliris.

View attachment 19588

thanks seewai for the report of the charging. suspect that braun toothbrush sales would shoot up.. LOL.

Update:
After a week's usage, this morning the key acted up again, refusing to remotely open the doors hrmpphhhh!!

I put the blame on TI-Tan's 528i and T2's M5. Spent too much time chatting last night, in between the 2 supercars made my key jealous.

Attempting to recharge the key, until tomorrow morning.

Edit: Thanks aliris for lending me the charger for indefinate period of time.

Seewai..
One way to test your cars charging circuit is with enameled copper wire (small gauge) and digital multimeter. Wind the wire onto something cylindrical like matches and put it close to the ignition barrel. Turn om the key, connect both end of the coil that u made to the multimeter lead and set it to ac voltage. If the reading fluctuates, then the charging circuit is working..

Btw bro aliris, ur charger is different than mine, which mine has the tip pointing up. so how to charge the key? can advise? :)

if the tip has 2 metal contact point (like neg and pos terminal) then it wont work...coz that charger utilise normal direct charging not inductive..

Mine is just plain plastic...should any angle will do? :) thx bro

Top Bottom