Default Aircon ON everytime start up engine?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

johannong

Club Guest
Hi All, love the bimmer so so so much until dream finally came true. She's a 2000 E46 1.9liter. All are perfects except for three.... Can someone advice how come the aircon is always ON everytime I start up the car? Also I am running nuts with the audio buttons and.... my car does not have an alarm system! Manually open door with the spare plastic key...no alarm. Start up with the plastic key, it goes normally. Should I worry about these? Thanks alot.

pls introduce yourself in newbies section. aircond ON during startup is normal, why do u want it to be OFF? my wira 5 years always ON aircond during startup also no problem. u never explain what is wrong with your audio button. E46 dont have alarm. y do u need to open your door with sparekey? where is your remote diamond shape key? plastic key is for emergency used and not intended for frequent use, check your manual for the explanation (its fragile, u might break it if use frequently)

johannong;449034 said:
Hi All, love the bimmer so so so much until dream finally came true. She's a 2000 E46 1.9liter. All are perfects except for three.... Can someone advice how come the aircon is always ON everytime I start up the car? Also I am running nuts with the audio buttons and.... my car does not have an alarm system! Manually open door with the spare plastic key...no alarm. Start up with the plastic key, it goes normally. Should I worry about these? Thanks alot.

You must be a first timer to the E46...

It is normal to start the car with the aircon ON.

As for the radio, you can read the owner manual. Search the forum for the link to download the manual. It is a useful guide to take car of your ride. check the link below for the manual
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals

The plastic key is for emergency use. Ask the previous owner for the remote key. It is diamond shape "D" as shown below.
Resizeofe46bmw-keyS.jpg

Replacement of the key will cost you about RM950 at AB.

Thanks Mouse and Jarance. I have to start a new thread to introduce myself or find an existing "newbies" and start introduce myself?
Anyway yes I am new, just 3 weeks old. During the 1st week, I already done some stunts by taking sharp corner in the wet, and skidded my rear wheels. Arr... without turning on the ASC.
Oh I just worry that during the ignition with aircon in ON position, the cranking would damage the aircon. I would turn OFF the aircon before starting up the engine. The audio portion;, I have no idea what is M, what is TP and the button beside RDS..? It is a 2nd handed car thefore no audio manual comes with it. I used the spare key just to try out if the alarm may trigger. Some said the key hosted immobilizer therefore I tried the plastic key but the car just move.... so it is confirmed that the 318i does not have all sort of the alarms. Oh yes, I locked myself in the car, waited for a minute, and started to move around in the car, NO ALARM! Holy smoke! My bimmer is at risk! Anyne could have just jacked her away oh my God!

Thanks Jarance. Yes I got full sets of keys with me. But one of the main key operation failed. Understood that there's no battery in the key rather it recharges itself automatically. This case, what could have gone wrong with this key? The recharge battery gone? Can it be repaired?
thanks

johannong;449286 said:
Thanks Jarance. Yes I got full sets of keys with me. But one of the main key operation failed. Understood that there's no battery in the key rather it recharges itself automatically. This case, what could have gone wrong with this key? The recharge battery gone? Can it be repaired?
thanks

Which key are you having? Type C or D.

Type C used replaceable battery and is not chargeable.

Type D are self charging when plugged into the ignition. It is recommend to changed the key every 3 months or so to charge the spare key.

johannong;449282 said:
Thanks Mouse and Jarance. I have to start a new thread to introduce myself or find an existing "newbies" and start introduce myself?
Anyway yes I am new, just 3 weeks old. During the 1st week, I already done some stunts by taking sharp corner in the wet, and skidded my rear wheels. Arr... without turning on the ASC.
Oh I just worry that during the ignition with aircon in ON position, the cranking would damage the aircon. I would turn OFF the aircon before starting up the engine. The audio portion;, I have no idea what is M, what is TP and the button beside RDS..? It is a 2nd handed car thefore no audio manual comes with it. I used the spare key just to try out if the alarm may trigger. Some said the key hosted immobilizer therefore I tried the plastic key but the car just move.... so it is confirmed that the 318i does not have all sort of the alarms. Oh yes, I locked myself in the car, waited for a minute, and started to move around in the car, NO ALARM! Holy smoke! My bimmer is at risk! Anyne could have just jacked her away oh my God!

Did you locked your car with the remote key and open with the plastic key?

BTW, the plastic key have a transponder embedded in the key. If the alarm is triggered, you can reset the alarm by inserting the key and turn on the ignition.

As for the radio, please download the manual as stated in my previous posting.

johannong;449282 said:
During the 1st week, I already done some stunts by taking sharp corner in the wet, and skidded my rear wheels. Arr... without turning on the ASC.

You dont need to turn on the ASC. It is by default ON already.

We all crank with the aircon ON.

M is for manual tuning for AM/FM radio frequencies.
TP is traffic announcements which is not used in our country so it doesnt do anything except blink (to show its searching for traffic announcement frequencies)
Whats beside RDS?

It is possible your car does not come with alarm and ultrasonics but it should have immobiliser which without the original key you cant start and drive off. And if you lock yourself in the car from the outside you will not be able to get out because it has dead locks.

3er;449308 said:
It is possible your car does not come with alarm and ultrasonics but it should have immobiliser which without the original key you cant start and drive off. And if you lock yourself in the car from the outside you will not be able to get out because it has dead locks.

Actually, you can still open the window and use the key to manually open the door with the key. Found this out when I have some problem with the GM5 central locking module.

Thanks Jarance. I have the D key. It is just that one of them seems to be faulty coz I have been using it for three days still the remote doesn't work. Perhaps the recharging battery inside gone dead! No problem coz I still have another one. Just hope the one and only works all the way thru my tenure.... haha.

jarance;449310 said:
Actually, you can still open the window and use the key to manually open the door with the key. Found this out when I have some problem with the GM5 central locking module.

Uh, yeah... I was thinking of a perp breaking in without a valid key. They would not be able to open the doors or enable the power for any electronics.

Thanks 3er. I am too cannot remember what is it beside the RDS. I go check now. Oh the idea of locking myelf in is just to check the motion sensor. I read some threads asking to wind down the window and lock the car, wait for a minute then put the hand in to trigger the sensor. There I go and why not just sit in the car and lock the car. After a minute then started to move and see if there's motion sensor to trigger the alarm?! Heck no none of the alarm sounded.Anyway thanks folks and I shall be fine with the aircon ON while starting up the car. And hey... the ASC by default is OFF when turning on he switch.

thanks Jarance. It is type D key. I ahve the full set(4pcs) with me just that one of the main key which I beliave the rechargable battery went dead. I tried to use it for 2days and yet it still failed to operate. In one occasion I locked it with remote and opened with the plastic key. Door opened and no alarm. Didn't know that the plastic one is embedded with the chip thus it will turn ON the engine and run normally. My car therefore is confirmed NO alarm system installed. Thanks

johannong;449341 said:
And hey... the ASC by default is OFF when turning on he switch.

The ASC is ON by default. BMW emphasizes safety so ASC is always ON to save your butt. There is no light to tell you its on. If you accelerate hard in the wet, the ASC will engage, the ASC light blinks and power is reduced.

Hit the ASC switch and the ASC light on the dash turns on. This is a warning light to tell you that the ASC is OFF which in BMW speak it means "drive cautiously and if you screw up somewhere its your fault and i've told you so already".

Ps. I have the E46 manual and i have read it... :)

WTF... in this case it is totally wrong with my car then?! The incident happened last weekend, is considered ASC ON, and the car swing left and right till the opposite of the road and stalled. Thanks God the ABS kicked in(as I could feel the pump is kicking from my foot)! May I know why this is still happening if the ASC is ON? I was doing around 60kmh entering into left sharp corner, raining condition. Could it be the ASC is not working already? Please help. thanks.

There is a warning in the owner's manual that states even with the ASC activated, you cannot defy the law of physics! Whether ASC or DSC, the car can still crash if you drive it beyond its limits. Nothing can save you if you decide to test the limits of the car!! At the end of the day, the best control is still the one between our ears!! I am sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but a bimmer is too beautiful a car to crash!

Hi Dansyw, thanks for the advice. I will remeber this. Actually it wasn't an idea to test the ASC. Or else I could have turned ON(my version of ASC activation was the indication on the board turns ON). Won't deny I was abit fast. Later some mechanic told that part of the reason is due to the rear wheel driven therefore it gets easier t skid around in wet.
I was in shock for 10sec and believe me in the rain, aircon was ON and I was sweating. If she hits on someone, or hit on the pavement, theregoes my 2weeks old bimmer. It is too sayang to leave a scar.

johannong;449367 said:
WTF... in this case it is totally wrong with my car then?! The incident happened last weekend, is considered ASC ON, and the car swing left and right till the opposite of the road and stalled. Thanks God the ABS kicked in(as I could feel the pump is kicking from my foot)! May I know why this is still happening if the ASC is ON? I was doing around 60kmh entering into left sharp corner, raining condition. Could it be the ASC is not working already? Please help. thanks.

If the ASC is not working the yellow light on the dash will light up. In your case its probably working and you have exceeded the Einstein's or Newton's law...

Btw, have you checked your tyres lately?

Hi 3er, upon purchased the car the dealer already changed to a 4pcs new tyres. Continental tyres I believe. Perhaps the tyres already old and harden. I should bring back to the tyre shop and ask for advice. Alignment already done checking up. I leant the lesson and I shall obey the rules.
Thanks

Top Bottom