Correct tyre pressure?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Stud_Daddy

Club Guest
For my E46, can anyone here advise me on the correct Front and Rear tyre pressure? I have 225/40/18 on all four tyres.

good question. I have the same setup. One tyre shop told be to put 29 for all four but another told me 31 is the best.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have the same setup. I'm running on 34psi on all corners. It can be a tad harsh at times but i prefer to feel the road and protect my wheels in this pot-hole-ridden-3rd-world-country.

Stud_Daddy said:
For my E46, can anyone here advise me on the correct Front and Rear tyre pressure? I have 225/40/18 on all four tyres.

I always like the front softer than the rear end. At least when I doggie I dont see the meat swaying from side to side.:D

ALBundy said:
I always like the front softer than the rear end. At least when I doggie I dont see the meat swaying from side to side.:D

Now you're talking my language! I like it harder in the rear-end as well (not my rear!)

So that's final then......30psi in front, 33psi in the rear?

For my E46 325i, I pump 32psi front and 37psi rear - as per the recommended pressures stated on the sticker on my car's B-pillar (driver's side). Tyres are 225/50ZR16.

wglee said:
For my E46 325i, I pump 32psi front and 37psi rear - as per the recommended pressures stated on the sticker on my car's B-pillar (driver's side). Tyres are 225/50ZR16.

Thanks, but like I said, I have 225/40/18 on all four tyres.

Stud_Daddy said:
Thanks, but like I said, I have 225/40/18 on all four tyres.
bro, if u have your manual, its stated there, or else follow wglee look at the sticker at the door and it wont be wrong. coz u will be getting diffrent opinion from diffrent tyre shop until u also confuse dunno how much to pump

235/40ZR18.. 31psi on both ends.. sometimes more, sometimes less..
Truth is, I can't feel the difference with our quote-3er "pot-hole-ridden-3rd-world-country" unquote.

wglee, I'll get off the PC soon and work on your designs :p

Mouse said:
bro, if u have your manual, its stated there, or else follow wglee look at the sticker at the door and it wont be wrong. coz u will be getting diffrent opinion from diffrent tyre shop until u also confuse dunno how much to pump

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.......my 18 inch wheels are aftermarket. The original wheels were 16 inch I think. So I cannot possibly follow the B pillar specs which were meant for the original wheels. Correct?

go by feel and personal preference ( within limits of course )
try nitrogen as well coz the pressures don't change as much as air.
after heating up, nitro gains about 1-1.5 psi as apposed to air which can gain 2- 2.5 psi. so it will give you a more consistent pressure.
Just as a reference point... ( I know you are on 18s )
my setup is 225/45/17 fr 32 psi 245/40/17 r 34 psi

Stud_Daddy said:
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.......my 18 inch wheels are aftermarket. The original wheels were 16 inch I think. So I cannot possibly follow the B pillar specs which were meant for the original wheels. Correct?

Not quite correct. The B-pillar sticker also has tyre pressures for your size of tyres. It's 2.4 bar (front) and 2.6 bar (rear) for up to 4 passengers' load, and 2.8 bar (front) and 3.1 bar (rear) with 5 passengers and luggage.

StRat said:
235/40ZR18.. 31psi on both ends.. sometimes more, sometimes less..
Truth is, I can't feel the difference with our quote-3er "pot-hole-ridden-3rd-world-country" unquote.

wglee, I'll get off the PC soon and work on your designs :p

OK...:D :D :D

Anywhere between 30-36 psi should be ok, generally speaking. This will vary according to your road conditions, tyre brand, suspension setup, driving style etc.

As a rule of thumb, you need to find a baseline bro, that suits your style and your car's setup.
Try varying the pressures between 30-36 evenly front and rear to find:
a) the harshest ride you/your car can handle in a spirited driving mood
b) a comfortable laid-back ride on a drive home at the end of a long day

Then set your pressures between those two, and then add 2psi to the rear.
That should give you a good compromise for daily use. Then +- evenly fr/rr from there to suit special occasions (e.g. Sepang +4, carry Mother-in-law = lower by 3 psi) :p

---

Stud_Daddy,

Does your car have the tyre pressure sticker on the driver's side B-pillar? If it hasn't, then I'll ponder over two things:

1. Was the car resprayed?
2. Was the B-pillar damaged in an accident and replaced?

In either case I won't be surprised if the painter or body repairer didn't bother or had forgotten to order the sticker and paste it where it should be.

OMG! haha i actually never knew how to correctly pump a tyre, I just use gut feeling. haha dumb huh.
anyway, i checked today and its at 39psi on 225/40/18.
no wonder every bump feels like a pothole

Top Bottom