Cooling Fan

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dale

Club Guest
Hi all,Read somewhere in this forum that if we disconnect the battery, there's something that needs to be re-set once the batt is connected again,right?Have to disconnect it last night cause the cooling fan of my e36 kept running even after I pulled the car/ignition key out. Wouldn't want the batt to run flat by morning. It's a public holiday today. So weird when ppl are having prob with the fan not running and mine is refusing to stop.Prior to this, my HU displayed a "No Chr" as in no CD changer detected. While disconnecting/reconnecting/disconnecting the batt to see if the cooling fan has stop, I suddenly noticed that the CD changer was working as normal again.Thanks.p/s Have not check the car today, baru bangun lah :lazy:

Guys,
Just an update to this. Drove to Rawang this afternoon (finally managed to get out of bed) looking for any workshop, result: all were closed, those open for biz -no electrician today! Went to get the newspaper and noticed that the fan has stopped. Good! While walking to 7-Eleven, clicked the remote but didn't hear the sound of car locking. Turned back and press again and again. Nope, nothin'. Went to a watch shop to change the batt, 2 of them in that small remote control. Paid RM30 and still no joy. Went back to the watch shop and asked for the old batt (knowing very well that "Goods sold are not returnable"), maybe it is not the batt after all, who knows right.
Will go out for a drive tonite and see what is in store for me next :) This gonna be some kind of a blog huh.

Another update.
Went to Rawang after making an appointment with Nick. The first impression of the place was like "Wow, this place is spotless clean. You can even sleep on the floor". Have you seen the Ride on Channel 50? Well, this place was close to that sort.
We sat at a table and I went on with the explanations on what were the problems, and he, probing for more tell-tales. Only after all these was my car being driven into the shop. I was asked to sit at the same table again with an ash tray and a magazine, while he started to do his things. I noticed that there were no cut wires or what nots lying on the floor the fact that this is an electrician's workshop. Test equipments and machines were nicely arranged.
Finally, diagnostic done. When I was disconnecting-reconnecting-disconnecting the batt, the systems were trying to communicate with each other, by me doing so they have actually "lost communication" resulting in the system to freeze. He was talking about the ECM, BMC (body module controller) and a few others. Conclusion, I'm required to send in my car for a 1 and a half day rectification. I was told that this E36 has, apart from the one under the hood, 2 more fuse boxes! Showed me the location.
Additionally, I saw him using a stethoscope (!!!!), listening to the engine of another car there. Seeing his well-equipped w'shop I can't help but asked what those equipments are for. One for cleaning the fuel injection system, and the rest hmmm techy techy. He said that he will trouble-shoot problems and faults using his test equipments and NOT his customers' money by doing a "trial-and-errors". Hmm looks like this is one of Jeremy Clarkson's kind of man, of "passion" that is.
After having stripped my car to diagnose the problem and put everythings back in after identifying what need to be done, which will be a later date convenient to me, I was not charged a single cent. Was this guy generous or he had actually accumulated this service to be charged later when I send in my car?:blink: Most would normally managed to squeeze a couple of bucks from me for that "diagnostic jobs".
Will write again on the outcome after Saturday. Will be sending in on Friday afternoon and should be ready by Saturday late afternoon. With reference to the other thread, yes, re-wiring is very expensive according to Nick.

simple theory the fan power direct from battery, trigger by the relay connected to sensor (which one ! ), I will look at radiator temp sensor or air pocket.

Good luck

What if the fan still running even after pulling out the ignition key? I waited outside my car for good ten minutes with the fan running. Disconnected the batt that night, reconnect it the next morning and there it goes again. Went searching for Nick in Rawang, from Selayang and back to Selayang again (temp indicating the usual temp), shut down and the fan stop!
What's up with the CD Changer not being detected by HU just b4 this happening?
As for the alarm not working, maybe it is true that I've screwed up the electronic system.
**Brain stroming in progress**

I'll tick out air pocket from above

Another experience :when electronics start give weird behavior ,Check your alternator or battery !

Good luck again ....

Yup, problem solved indeed but the problem is, though very friendly he is quite secretive about his trade. Anyway, if you talk about neat and clean job, meticulous and professionalism I think he is da man.
Another thing is that, make sure your car is clean when you send it in. Once he noticed that, as in my case, he would even go to the extent of removing tar spots without being asked, just to show his appreciation for my car too. One of his worker told me that he is very particular about the exact screw sizes! And, there was once, after completing the job, the worker washed the car thinking that everything was fine. The boss check it out and went for a test drive. Having done that he told the worker to change two of the screws and wash the car again -it wasn't a rainy day.
Went I sent in my car for a one and a half day job, he drove me home and later fetch me to pick my car up using his car, not mine.
Oh ya, one more thing, when I asked him if he wants me to bring the whole club members there, he declined fearing he might not be able to handle the influx, hence the silence on this thread. Sorry guys, anyway I think the place is afterall quite far for most of you, as I noticed most members are located south of KL.

Top Bottom