confuse with coolant level?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

phugoid

Club Guest
when i check my coolant level after park 4 a few hours, the indicator show the water level is below the minimum. then i turn the bleed screw(above the hose-near the coolant tank cap), then the level increase to the maximum again.. is it okay & normal? or i'm doing incorrect method?how to ensure my coolant level is maximum?

phugoid, the design of the radiator is different from japanese cars where they have a separate expansion tank that refills the tanks through the top near where the radiator cap is. On bimmers the expansion tank and the radiator itself is connected so what is happening is that when you turn the bleed screw air is allowed to flow into the radiator itself and the water level in the radiator drops and balances with that in the expansion tank, hence the tanks seems to 'increase' in level.

I am also not sure what the 'official' method of filling the radiator is but this has worked for me. Top up the expansion tank to the recommended level. Not advised to fill unto the kau kau maximum as the water needs some space to expand. After reaching that level, close the expansion tank and open up the bleed screw. Fill water into the bleed screw until all the air is removed. (if you want to ensure all the air is out, squeeze the lower and upper radiator hose to release any trapped air and top up the water again.) Close bleed screw. The next time you need to fill water, only fill it in the expansion tank and leave the bleed screw shut.

Hope this helps.

hi seech,

what do u mean by ' fill water into the bleed screw untill the air move out' ?
which bleed screw do u mean?

No lar. fill until the orange stick float out or stick out of the radiator.

azeL_Inc;428687 said:
mine is not orange anymore! haha
E46 should be maroon colour (something like light red colour). if you never change your expansion tank for a long time (u r luckly it didnt crack), the stick might change to yellow colour (sign of aging)

true.. it is maroon colour. i just change my expansion tank last month... coz of crack. it burst & cause overheat..
change also the top hose, but still need to top up..

Top Bottom