Computer Reseting technique

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

5series

Club Guest
Guys,Just came across another tread that given such a recommendation to improve your drive. Here's "SHOGUN" reset. Have heard that it is now standard first step for all dealer service of m70s. Changed plugs on '89 m20 5s and disconnected batt cable to boost charge for more accurate compression check. Running much, much smoother now and seems stronger. Gave credit to the plugs but the reset may have helped. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Anyone heard of the "Shogun" computer reset techniques?Procedure: Following is a procedure for resetting the computers on a M70 engine. However, the posting stated it would work with any BMW including the e34. Supposed to clear out the adapative memory and allow relearning (or similar) for all the various vehicle computers?? Somehow this seems risky. Would it benefit our cars, especially the 525i 4 speed auto without an adaptive transmission? 1. disconnect battery cables, first -, then + 2. turn ignition on position II 3. connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system 4. ignition off 5. connect battery cables again to battery, first +, then - Job done.

Yes, works great. Shogan forgot to mention that , if you want your car to be very responsive, you *must* drive very aggressively for 2 days after that, so the ECU will adapt to aggressive parameters it learns from your driving style.

If you take a slow cruise after the reset, you might complain the car is sluggish and it will take weeks to come to the right power. But then you will be amaze by its FC. My sedan improved on FC by almost 20% when it was in sluggish mode. Not great fun to drive but burns way less gas. Thats the compromise.

To me, it would not be a BMW if it cannot go fast when you need it!.

Dear 5series,
Is it works for 523i model? Did you try and what was teh result? TQ
5er

meaning to say...if i drive agressively with my 90 525i auto after the batt reset....the ECU matches back to my style??

Will my ECU being reset if I disconnect the battery for the whole day and reconnect the batt on the next day ?

I don't understand this part -> . connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system

means, + and - cable touching each other ??

Originally posted by bazet@Aug 8 2005, 04:40 PM
Will my ECU being reset if I disconnect the battery for the whole day and reconnect the batt on the next day ?

I don't understand this part -> . connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system

Sounds like it....

Originally posted by bazet@Aug 8 2005, 03:40 AM

that's why some people call "short circuit" , it suppose to go long way around

yes touch + and -

:rolleyes:

So far anyone tested out the "shogun" method on E34 91' 520i ?

If it works then I would want to reset it since my previous owner is a slow n steady driver .........

Top Bottom