Clutch to start?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

2wenty6

Club Guest
Manual drivers,Do you need to step on the clutch before you can start the e36? Mine can be started without the clutch depressed, and so was my previous e36. I believe it is common for most manual cars to require the clutch be depressed before the starter will do anything. My friend's 05 corolla requires that, gave him quite a laugh when I couldn't start it. Just trying to get a feel if this is normal or something is broken in my e36.

my friend told me, if you want to start the car in Race mode, u need to put the gearstick in R before u start. is this true ar? tehyw, did you try this yet? maybe thats y your car no power la, u never start in Race mode.

ramsing;640332 said:
my friend told me, if you want to start the car in Race mode, u need to put the gearstick in R before u start. is this true ar? tehyw, did you try this yet? maybe thats y your car no power la, u never start in Race mode.

hoi, thats mean man...

ramsing;640344 said:
hahaha...joking la. coz i know u're around now. haiyo, ur car got 6 spd. not many ppl got that box. :p

not the strongest gearbox lah... i heard this 226 kenot repair if broken ah.. is it true?

tehyw;640346 said:
not the strongest gearbox lah... i heard this 226 kenot repair if broken ah.. is it true?

depends on what parts are broken. not sure on the spares though. but cannot break la. unless u got very high tq, or abuse through racing.

ramsing;640349 said:
depends on what parts are broken. not sure on the spares though. but cannot break la. unless u got very high tq, or abuse through racing.

now u talking like my mechanic rueben! haha

In US, all manual require the depressed the clutch (step on it) in order to start the car.
One of the safety precaution

meh..I guess BMW didn't get the memo hahaha..my US spec e36 M3 could be started without the clutch depressed..

Top Bottom