Cigarette lighter continuous power F30 320i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jeep6530

Club Guest
Hi Guys,I just realized that the cigarette lighter power source is continuously powered even after the car is turned off and doors locked. Just wondering if leaving a phone charger plugged in all the time, will it drain the battery or reduce the life? Nice to to hear your experience and comments.Thanks....:stupid:

yup realized that as well but i think it shuts off after a few mins same like the light on your gearshifter will go out after a few minutes

I waited like 10 mins until all the other lights gelap, but the charger light still ON. Maybe I try wait longer and see...thanks

I tired it will be power up continuously till batt is low. Don't leave anything there. That's why I mod additional power for my GPS but careful otherwise you will burn your IBUS system ie radio, wper, rain sensor, PDC steering etcs

The cigarette lighter will stay always ON. This is the feature from the old model like E36.

Thank you guys for the helpful hint, I better unplug my charger whenever I shut down. :top:

My previous E46 and current E90 will shut the cig power OFF when i shut down the car. Cant imagine why its different in the F30 this time around.

Probably they recycle old e36 parts like they recycle the seat frame :eek:

Just joking

Did ask the SC at Ingress and he told me that after the engine is been shut off,the power will still be on for half an hour,never experimented it but I guess safest bet would be not leave anything on when leaving the car though I fail to understand the logic of this feature..

My E90 has this so called sleep or deep sleep mode. After FOB unplugged, it still allow us to wind up windows and stuffs.. if not mistaken, sleep mode will commence after 7 min. But not sure about my ciggy lighter outlet though. When I leave the car, I always make it a point to close the front ciggy lighter compartment so those coins in the compartment won't encourage petty thieves to break my window. Seldom use my rear power outlet, scare I misplace the plastic plug.. very expensive oh! :4:

Update:

Wait, I remember attempting to run my 12v air compressor in the morning to pump my kids bicycle, after leaving the car overnight, and tak boleh. Had to plug in my FOB to enable the ciggy lighter power.

i tested it on my f10 with the dvd tablet plugged on the ciggie lighter ...after less than half an hour it shuts of

Good info from all your experience.....I'll try keep it for more than half hour and get back with the results.

It's actually a brilliant idea to charge our phone battery when I'm outside drinking with a dead phone.. Not possible with my Avanza.. :4:

jarance;787418 said:
The cigarette lighter will stay always ON. This is the feature from the old model like E36.
What's the logic behind this "always ON" feature, may I ask?

You have a point there astroboy...other than that not much logic to it. There is always a risk of forgetting and draining the battery.

jeep6530;787544 said:
You have a point there astroboy...other than that not much logic to it. There is always a risk of forgetting and draining the battery.

After 30min or an hour, I have enough phone battery to continue party till late.. got to take my hats off for the German architects, simply brilliant! :4: I'll surely miss this feature if I move away from this marque.

I charged my phone and e-ciggy in the car overnight almost daily without any problems for more than 2 years.

The amount of electricity used is minimal, how much for a phone? 1200mAh on average. Not a problem for the car battery.

ALBundy;787578 said:
I charged my phone and e-ciggy in the car overnight almost daily without any problems for more than 2 years.

The amount of electricity used is minimal, how much for a phone? 1200mAh on average. Not a problem for the car battery.

Thanks ALBundy......great to know that it will not harm from your first hand experience. This is an excellent community...M learning a lot from all you sifus.:top:

yea..its always on..apparently the SA also didnt know bout this..when i complaint last time,they had to try on every f30 in the showroom+workshop and yea all car are same..hurm..as SA they should know this..what a shame if..knowledge level kinda dissapointing..

Top Bottom