Choosing between the latest 320 sports vs 323 new facelift model

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Dodgy

Club Guest
hi experts,i test drove the latest 323 last weekend and the 320 sports a week earlier. I noticed that there's so much difference in the handling. the 320 is has a much lighter steering and much nicer to drive, while the 323 has such a heavy steering and of course more power. i understand the 320 sports is tuned for better handling and stiffer ride. Another thing is of course the engine is much better with the 6 cylinder of the 323...more power. anyway, if money is not a concern (as if).....i think i will have a difficult choice which to choose... i love the idrive and the power of the 323 but i also prefer the handling and the interior (silver panels on dashboard and all black including the interior roof) and exterior cosmetics (the bodykit) of the 320sports. 325 sports of course have the best of both world which has everything ablsolutely (perfect) is out of the picture due to budget...evil BMW!so the question is which one you think is better and why...i think this may be also very subjective :). You opinion is appreciated.

never driven either but i'd buy the 323 for the bmw straight six engine and extra power. u got to have 'goodies' like idrive or some monitor in your car (premium cars at least) these days. otherwise interior looks bland/kinda basic - like something missing. probably get bored with 4 cylinder, want more power and think about how to retrofit a monitor in the car after a while. and you won't be able to easily do these. would then have to sell the 320. the silver panels and sports bodykit u like can fix anytime you want. just my opinion but money matters for sure - no idea on price difference between 320 and 323. if an old car like my e34, definitely buy the cheapest and engine, body, suspension, interior, etc - the entire bloody car can be modified to suit the way you like it. i wouldn't do that to a brand new e90 for sure.

get the 323i simply because it has a inline 6 engine and a idrive...they hold better value if the price is the same between 320sport and 323i...ofcourse in my case its either 325sport or no bmw in my garage at all.

alternatively..for slightly cheaper price...get the A4 B8...its the best compromise

323i wins anytime..if your budget allows you should not even be considering the 320i...better still get the 325i...AB does some good deals on pre registered cars...

also do note that LCI 323i comes with comfort access in addition to iDrive and the inline6.

The 320i Sports has the tighter steering feel due to M-sport Suspension.

It's actually depends on what you want on long term. Sports or Executive.

Go for the 323i. The enhancements on the 320i Sports can easily be replicated when budget permits later. This goes for the BMW Performance mods on engine which is just not available for the 4-potter. There's nothing more pleasing than a BMW 6-potter.

The 320i is a good car also :rock: Was sceptical initially hvg read all teh bad posts in BMW forum. As to its power, of cos we cant compare a 323 6 cyl agst a 320 4 cyl, 6 cyl will always outperform its smaller brother. But since the 320 also has a sports mode, I put it to test. Almost neck to neck in first 100m, but when I push to SPORTS, beat them n left them far behind. BMW is indeed an ultimate driving machine.

No offence intended but the 320 (E90) is not a fast car. Even the 320 (E46) gets creamed by my old ride an inline-4 2L NA engine that has been around for about 10 years :15:

Having said that. Don't worry that you have the 320 and not the 323 or the 325 or the 330. Your 320 (E90) is a very refined and comfortable car. A stable cruiser even at high speed and is very happy to take on sweepers and corners. Don't go racing others. There will always be someone faster..... there is no end :smokin:

If im not mistaken, the selling price of 320 sports is 248k and the 323 is 278k. Why not add a little bit more for the 325 at 309k and you will have everything of both worlds. Power, idrive and the looks.
The power of the 325 is just amazing and the handling is superb. NO REGRETS.

but why does the 320 sports seems to have a much lighter steering than the 323 ? anyone tested it ?

I'd agree with JPB. Go with the base foundation and add the cream like sports kit, M steering, sports suspension, alu trims etc later. You can't retrofit the 6 pot engine, or the iDrive or comfort access easilly. Also, there is a good chance that the local tuner in Jln Ipoh will have a tuning option available to unlock the 323's 190hp to 218hp (325i spec) soon. Something which you will never get from a 320i ECU tuning :).

Silverado;430570 said:
I think it's because the 320 Sport has Active Steering while the 323 doesn't.

If I remember right, both of them don't have this option, incl the 325i sports. 335i still has it I believe.

I have a new E90 325 and the wifey is jeles. She is fed up with her E46. The car once stalled in traffic because of a faulty camshaft sensor so she now has developed a phobia.

So off we went to AB last weekend. Test drove both the 320 and the 323.

My impression is that although the diff in power between the 2 cars is apparent and felt, the 320 engine is surprising more lively and willing to spin. I enjoy the 320 more than the 323. I can throw the front more than the 323 probably cos there is less mass up front. I can steer on throttle. I find the 320 more fun. Yes the steering feels lighter in the base 320 compared to the 323.

On the other hand the 323 engine is a lot more sluggish and less willing.

I did not test the 320 cos my bro has one. The 320 is 222K, 320 Sport 234K and the 323 is 259K prereg.

The 323 has also got more kit which includes the latest idrive, sat nav, keyless entry. The 320 Sport has extra body kit over the 320 and a stiffer suspension with 17" wheels.

All things considered for the wifey, she don't think the 37K and the 12K premium over the base 320 worth it. I am also not willing to pay 2K for annual map updates.

So she settled on the 320 in space grey with the new saddle brown leather.

I've hopping over the AB to deliver the check now. That's 660K that AB gets business from me in the last 8 months.

So she is waiting for delivery of her FATHERS day present. Sheesh.

P.S. I still love my 325

Its the shorter final drive and ratios which makes the 320i more rev happy. Weight wise, despite the 6 pots and all the idrive and goodies, the 323i weighs only 50kgs more than the 320i, and has some 40 extra horses to pull it :)

E46Fanatic;430625 said:
Its the shorter final drive and ratios which makes the 320i more rev happy. Weight wise, despite the 6 pots and all the idrive and goodies, the 323i weighs only 50kgs more than the 320i, and has some 40 extra horses to pull it :)

Yeah. Further, the 323i has been detuned from the 325i to provide precisely the more laid back feel from the engine. Some say it adds to refinement, I say it kills the excitement somewhat. Then came the BMW Performance Air Intake and I must say, that has helped a lot. I'm hungry for more of course but very satisfied with the claimed extra 3 horses this has added. In the end though, the creaminess of the BMW 6-potter is unmistakeable. I say this having driven a courtesy E90 320i quite a bit.

The 320i is good for town use. It has enough power to pull you around and yes it feels a bit zippy. This applies to all 4 pots across all 3 series generation.

Moreoever the 320i has the 6 gears which makes the gearing very distributed across speed.

But once you hit the freeway or highway, the 320i will not be enough. The mid range pull and the top end is not enough compared to 6 pot.

But if you have not driven a 6 pot long enough, you will be happy with the 4 pot compared to all other makes.

Dodgy, go for used or pre-owned/pre-reg 325...you might get a good deal from Ingress or AB. last weekend, i attended private exclusive sale at AB Glenmarie, more than 100 cars were sold within 2 days, the bulk were 3 series. all the best!.

dodgy, go for used or pre-owned/pre-reg 325...you might get a good deal from Ingress or AB. I attended private sale at AB Glenmarie last weekend, more than 100 cars were snapped up within 2 days, mostly 3 series. all the best!

elwine30;430688 said:
The 320i is good for town use. It has enough power to pull you around and yes it feels a bit zippy. This applies to all 4 pots across all 3 series generation.

Moreoever the 320i has the 6 gears which makes the gearing very distributed across speed.

But once you hit the freeway or highway, the 320i will not be enough. The mid range pull and the top end is not enough compared to 6 pot.

But if you have not driven a 6 pot long enough, you will be happy with the 4 pot compared to all other makes.

Agree with you.

Also forgot to mention, the city driving fuel consumption of the 325 is really bad.

So I guess I did make the right choice of getting the Misus a 320, since we'll use my 325 for long distance driving and she will be using the 320 for work and back and maybe to KLIA and around KL

Top Bottom