Cheaper Road Tax in Sabah/Sarawak???

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ah_Keng

Club Guest
One of my friend told me that, the road tax in Sabah/Sarawak is much cheaper than here.Some arrangement can be made to re-new road tax in Sabah/Sarawak even though the car is in Peninsular, for example, his C180 is only paying MYR60... while normal 1800cc should be MYR274..Is this legal?Tempting to do the same for my 528i... estimated new road tax is MYR817

it's legal if you have the car inspected in East Malaysia and have the roadtax issued there... that's one of the privileges enjoyed by East Malaysians.
However, there are ppl who are circumventing the inspection step and have the road tax issued even if the car is not physically there...
Not sure what can the authority do when they find out...

ah_Keng;569208 said:
One of my friend told me that, the road tax in Sabah/Sarawak is much cheaper than here.
Some arrangement can be made to re-new road tax in Sabah/Sarawak even though the car is in Peninsular, for example, his C180 is only paying MYR60... while normal 1800cc should be MYR274..
Is this legal?
Tempting to do the same for my 528i... estimated new road tax is MYR817

i think you need to be a sarawakian or sabahan with ya IC issued from that paarticular state to enjoy the privilages ...

My friend (not Sabahan), who used to be posted in Sabah, bought his car there. And that's how he got to know this agent.

The agent says, need to pay extra MYR100 for Puspakom inspection (same with what fabianyee mentioned)... but car need not to be present...

That must be some serious hanky-panky because I'm paying RM268 for my 1800cc E46, here in Kuching Sarawak. Have a look here for roadtax rates:- http://imdavidlee.com/roadtax.html

The agent could have fiddled with the green card and got the car registered as a 1500cc car.

Salut

i know a 645i here registered in sarawak despite fact car has never landed there. on the roads here, it is legal. owner pays just 4.5k annual roadtax instead of the 11k+. some loophole they tell me.

if you get caught, i believe JPJ can impouind the car pending further investigations. imagine your car parked in their yard for god knows how long. and when you get it back, a lot of parts would be missing.

I know a few M drivers who are doing the same. You'll need to pay runner fees and such which can be quite costly but you still get at least 40-50% off your current road tax. It's only worthwhile for cars with high CC imo.

I'm actually hunting E46 M3 at the moment, some car dealers told me that the car Register in East M, take East M plate, means SAAXXX or QXX123. Insurance all address buy in here (West M). He said just only prepare the full document with ready insurance cover note, post the document to E.M, that side dealer will help to do, after register with roadtax everything, post back to here. I don't know how far can be trusted, and he show me his boss using Qxx2 plate a lot, so is very normal for them to do.

I have the impression that East Malaysia roadtax sticker is not valid to be used here in Peninsular coz you are not driving here.

just saw an E60 M5's (Sabah) roadtax sticker, looks the same. perhaps very soon they'll make it visibly different, then susah la :)

The sabah roadtax and our Perninsula M. roadtax looks different meh ? I thought the same..

Ade;608919 said:
I have the impression that East Malaysia roadtax sticker is not valid to be used here in Peninsular coz you are not driving here.

AFAIK, they are both same same.... 1Malaysia mah.... :p
This is the loophole ppl are exploiting due to the lower rate for East Malaysian roadtax... It's a loophole but still legal...
Like I mentioned, from what I gathered, during roadtax renewal, the official in charge is the one who verified that the vehicle is physically in East Malaysia... but true to the Malaysia Boleh spirit, he just close 1 eye and approve it.. of course, this 'service' comes with a fee which is only worth the trouble for high cc cars... otherwise, don't bother....
Not sure what would be the implication if someone is caught and can't prove that the car was in EM when renewing the road tax. Then again, with another 'fee', documents can be produced to show that the vehicle was shipped over during that time.. hahaha.... all's well ends well.....

ah_Keng;569208 said:
One of my friend told me that, the road tax in Sabah/Sarawak is much cheaper than here.
Some arrangement can be made to re-new road tax in Sabah/Sarawak even though the car is in Peninsular, for example, his C180 is only paying MYR60... while normal 1800cc should be MYR274..
Is this legal?
Tempting to do the same for my 528i... estimated new road tax is MYR817

I spent 4 years of my life in Miri and yes can confirm that it is cheaper by approximately 50% over all range of engines e.g. a 350z a very popular car in Miri pays roadtax of RM1.3k a year, and those 8 litre V12 super premium Ninja Kings pay around 4k I recall!!! However, the rules are clear and that when you ship the car from East to West, you are entitled to only one renewal at the East rate. Subsequent to that, you will have to revert to West Msian rate. This is the LEGAL due process.

However, this is Msia Boleh and I am well aware of many who still get runners to renew in the East whilst the car has clearly and will clearly be in the West. What are the repurcussions if you get caught??? As I said, we live in Bolehland

All the best to those who wanna exploit this

For the better solution, should reduce w.m roadtax price same as e.m or lowest, than can solve the problem to go to e.m renew lo... :D

hey..u need to jaga ur fixed deposit right..then again road there are crap.

hey guys,

i heard of something similar recently...road tax for a 4000cc will cost bout rm2 odd k..whereas here in the west cost easily rm6k and above...

runner fees will cost bout rm1500...after get EM roadtax...apparently can "convert" back to semenanjung r/tax where the r/tax will say salinan and the supposed monetary figure on the r/tax would appear as rm 0.00...i hear it is legal....

but there could be hassle with the jpj guys...dunno wha sort of problems they can give and whether its worth going thru all of it

ansonsoo;609100 said:
The sabah roadtax and our Perninsula M. roadtax looks different meh ? I thought the same..

Looks the same but different colour. I'm a Sabahan but working in KL. I've shipped my car here before. When the car goes out from KK port, the geran will be stamped with "Kereta dibawa ke Semenanjung" and the road tax rate is immediately updated by handwriting. Your current road tax will stay at Sabah rate, until you renewed it, which it'll carry Semenanjung rate.

I've heard of loopholes too, but like any loophole, once the G is short of money, they'll start clamping down... just like the MACC clamping down on fake APs.

John_Smith;643749 said:
Looks the same but different colour. I'm a Sabahan but working in KL. I've shipped my car here before. When the car goes out from KK port, the geran will be stamped with "Kereta dibawa ke Semenanjung" and the road tax rate is immediately updated by handwriting. Your current road tax will stay at Sabah rate, until you renewed it, which it'll carry Semenanjung rate.

I've heard of loopholes too, but like any loophole, once the G is short of money, they'll start clamping down... just like the MACC clamping down on fake APs.

Yes u r right bro im Semenanjung guy but business in Sabah. I've shipped my car bck to here before and the road tax of my 4200cc dissel engine at Sabah was +- $2k (Private use). I use the car here till the road tax expire then convert to commercial used. Others wise if i maintain for private use it will kill me the road tax cost more then 7k in Semenanjung.

I honestly hope that the road tax rate here is the same as East Malaysia. I have a E36 328 and roadtax is seriously a killer..

Top Bottom