Changing plate number. Rip off?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kevin1982my

Club Guest
All.I have recently bought a Premium selection 325 coupe and the SA wanted to charge me RM 2k to change the number plate to a number of my choice.RM210 for JPJ fees, RM 100 for runner fee and RM1.2k interchange fee and RM 600 ( due to the need to buy a new motorcycle to transfer the old number to ).Im not familiar with this and felt like i was being ripped off. Am i?Any one has experience in this?

Standard change..

edited! should be "STANDARD PRICE/CHARGE" :4:

No experience changing plate myself, but I did 10 years ago bought a motorcycle with a transferred plate for about RM1200 less than market price. So I guess that RM1200 has been absorbed by the guy putting the old plate on my new motorcycle.

haywire;677123 said:
No experience changing plate myself, but I did 10 years ago bought a motorcycle with a transferred plate for about RM1200 less than market price. So I guess that RM1200 has been absorbed by the guy putting the old plate on my new motorcycle.

The bike shop, the runner and motor bike owner who now carries your unwanted plate.. 3 fellas share.. not much.. unless you assume the roles of these 3 fellas :4:

astroboy;677125 said:
The bike shop, the runner and motor bike owner who now carries your unwanted plate.. 3 fellas share.. not much.. unless you assume the roles of these 3 fellas :4:

I'm the new motor bike owner with the unwanted plate la in this case

astroboy;677122 said:
Standard change..

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When you say "standard change", does it mean "standard sudah tukar?" or "its standard price for the change"?

I changed mine this year. the runner fee was RM1,200 (all in inclusive of inspection). as for new number. it depends on how much u tender for the no u like. in short, main cost are as follows

i) tender cost for no (or if you buy off the shelve, normally much higher)
ii) runner fee for change no RM1,200-RM1,500

item i) It depends on what is the no of your choice. if u want single digit at least RM20k (except no 4 which may comes cheap)

go to JPJ to view the last successful tender list to guess how much would be the cost.

I see.

However that RM2k is only for plate number change as my 325 coupe comes with a number already albeit a funny number ( PKD 9007 ).

If i want special numbers, have to tambah lagi on top of that RM2k depending on the numbers tendered.

You guys reckon that 2k is normal? I don mind paying, just hate being rip off.

kevin1982my;677137 said:
I see.

However that RM2k is only for plate number change as my 325 coupe comes with a number already albeit a funny number ( PKD 9007 ).

If i want special numbers, have to tambah lagi on top of that RM2k depending on the numbers tendered.

You guys reckon that 2k is normal? I don mind paying, just hate being rip off.

Based on EL118's comments,

Standard number in your case = RM210

Runner's fee etc = RM1500

Total RM1710

So about RM290 rip off which is not too bad hehe

2 years ago i did mine at RM1500 (exclude RM210 to buy number) if all in is RM1710.

My family runs a motorcycle business and we do a lot of interchange for customers. The normal market rate should be about $1200 (include the new motor and inspection for the new motor) but I can do it for $1000. Tender price for a new plate now is $260 (choose from screen).

Wait... I think RM1,200 la. not RM2k.. :p I also confuse.. but I not done before. Best check with other runner la. Doctor can also give wrong medicine.. :4:

market price for this interchange....otherwise u can get another runner...it can be changed anytime...if you feel it's expensive..take the car first then later slowly find a runner who can offer cheaper price or any bike shop can help u to do this......

HT7;677159 said:
My family runs a motorcycle business and we do a lot of interchange for customers. The normal market rate should be about $1200 (include the new motor and inspection for the new motor) but I can do it for $1000. Tender price for a new plate now is $260 (choose from screen).

Bro, I want to do a interchange !! Where is ur location ??

Definately a rip off.I did my own interchange.send the car for inspection which the no you want to interchange at Puspakom.The new car no need inspection.If they tell you that you need to inspect you newly bought car,they are lying.Go to JPJ website for details.Trust me those salesmen pray on your ignorance for easy money...

Im begining to hate the BMW owning experience and i havent even gotten the car.

Its like you cant drive a nicer car in Malaysia without being "potong" when you buy things, even in the restaurants.

The deal went through. I wasnt aware that its much cheaper done outside.

Well, i guess its a case of fool me once, shame on you. But then there is no shame when they are having a nice meal in a fancy restaurant with my hard earned money.

Certainly wiser after this. Just watch out when u are dealing with Quill Auto in Sec 14 next time.

Better still.make you own Puspakom inspection for your existing car with the old number plate,and you download the relevant interchange documents from JPJ website.All the completed documents you give to the SA for his or her submission to JPJ for registration.See if The SA still can tell you with straight face that it is cost you RM1500.

Top Bottom