Changing dashboard lighting colour

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I prefer it amber, the way BMW intended it to be. Apparently (after research) its the best for night driving. Blue is the worst, being in the opposite end of the visible light spectrum.

Cool! Looks like a JDM.. :top:

Btw, if u happen to overtake an 8th gen Civic at night, take a glimpse at the Civic driver.. you can see a pale, bluish ghostly face due to the double deck instrument panel with blue color illumination. Now u can become one.. :wink:

:D Yeah blue and green are very jap. White like Merc is boring. Yellow...never seen before. IMO amber is classy and is the best thing about the BMW dash.

All the hybrids are emphasizing bluish white illumination, they have them in the emblems, headlights, sarongs, even rear emblem for the new RM175k Prius. It seems to be the in thing now.

As what 3er mentioned above, there is a reason why all the aeroplane cockpit instruments are having amber illumination and I'm staying amber for the exact same reason.. :wink: until such day perhaps Amber Chia changes her name.. :p

Really huh? Strange because blue light at night is supposed to be soothing and puts you to sleep! But Amber Chia would wake you up. :D

I thot blue is suppose to wake u up? That why they call it blue or x or what ever.. :p

Amber is soothing to our eyes because its the closes color match to our retina color..

retina-picture-c.jpg

Blues and greens are soothing. Ambers and reds are stimulating. Maybe for you it's the opposite? :D So Amber Chia puts you to sleep too? :eek:

from what i've been told, blue light is glaring. that's why night driving glases are yellow, to filter off the blue light.

still prefer the original amber/red instrument panel.

3er;447433 said:
I prefer it amber, the way BMW intended it to be. Apparently (after research) its the best for night driving. Blue is the worst, being in the opposite end of the visible light spectrum.

For me, I've always liked blue, way before JDMs or anyone else started showing up in blue. So comparison don't matter as far as I am concerned, to each his own. But if amber is best for night driving, then that alone would make me want to keep it stock, as safety is first. It would also explain why the MINI's dash is the same colour. Then again, the M3 dash has quite a bit of white in it. And if amber is best, why don't all the other manufacturers follow suit?

VW's were green (don't know what they are now), Honda was green but now I think it's multi-coloured, Merc is white, Land Rover (during BMW ownership) was green, and still is.

I would think a multi-colour display would be more stimulating than any single colour. With an iDrive display in our cars, we are already having a multi-colour display, so it's not exactly pure amber anymore anyway. The MINI's mood lighting allows a range of around 7 colours ranging from blue to purple to red.

astroboy;447535 said:
Yep! Once she start speaking English.. :p

Oh please.. that's torture!

I must be too old to appreciate the funky dash colors. I always liked the Audi shade of amber lighting. BMWs amber tone is lighter and not as deep and mysterious compared to the older Audi's. Nowaways newer WV and Audi have dashes of blue and red/amber for the dash. A bit too funky for my taste.

Lexus white is also classy, but not as soothing for sure.

Colour is a matter of taste of course, and blue is the favourite colour of most men. But it evokes feelings of calmness and sedation. It also appears as black to some visual acuity-challenged people. It's not by accident that amber is the colour for alertness: turn signals, traffic lights, safety vests, hazard lamps, warning signs...it's the colour most visible to the human eye.

The continentals have it right. The others are just being funky as you say. ;)

Top Bottom