Changing absorbers.. get original or upgrade now?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zammie

Club Guest
Hiya all. My front absorbers koyaked, need to replace. Seeing they are about 400 a piece, should I just replace them with originals or upgrade? I don't suppose I can just change the front ones to a different brand??? :stupid:Also, can anyone give the address to Heritage Auto? Cos hear it mentioned a lot but no one gave the address even though it was asked once or twice by another forummer. Can anyone help? Cheers!! Have a good weekend all! :D

Actually the black bilstein for E46 318 is RM340 a piece for the front (standard) though factory fitted is using Sachs, nak upgrade then you go for adjustable but the price range can only be limited by your imagination and budget

i've just put on b8 sprint's on my 36, fun is all ur gonna have. If ur still single.. go for it, no need to use brakes at corners anymore...hehe :wink:

I think you better stick to originals absorbers, they are very good and comfort for daily drive, and also not bad for highway speeding..., dun forget these absorbers are well designed & engineered by professionals employed by BMW Germany..., lots of R&D cost & times involved...

Upgrade if you plan to enter Sepang on every weekend....

Btw, I'm using bilstein sport & springs combo...hehe,

But oh....I miss the comfort ride of 5 selies...

wan520i;415964 said:
I think you better stick to originals absorbers, they are very good and comfort for daily drive, and also not bad for highway speeding..., dun forget these absorbers are well designed & engineered by professionals employed by BMW Germany..., lots of R&D cost & times involved...

Upgrade if you plan to enter Sepang on every weekend....

Btw, I'm using bilstein sport & springs combo...hehe,

But oh....I miss the comfort ride of 5 selies...

My thoughts are to just stick to originals for now. So I guess I'll just do that. Haven't fully 'test' the performance yet anyway :D

In any case, is it advisable to have different absorbers (or springs) in the front and back of the car?

zammie;415943 said:
Hiya all. My front absorbers koyaked, need to replace. Seeing they are about 400 a piece, should I just replace them with originals or upgrade? I don't suppose I can just change the front ones to a different brand??? :stupid:

Hiya all. My cigarettes just ran out, need to get another pack. Seeing they are about RM10 per pack, should I just replace them with my regular brand or switch? I don't suppose I can just change my regular to a different brand??? :stupid:

:D Pretty similar situation.. :p

In any case, is it advisable to have different absorbers (or springs) in the front and back of the car?

zammie, about this one, soli I have to put it direct to you >> Dun try to be smarter than BMW Engineers...!!

*ps: get what i meant?

With due respect, I beg to differ.... yes, we all can be smarter than the BMW engineer because they too are just human being trying to design a car that suites all walks of life including the lady who only uses the BMW to send kids to school or the boss who is trying to read news paper at the back seat while being chauffeured.

Just like shoe, that's why there's different shoes for different sports, if not sure, then just get the cross-training shoe. What sports are u in?

.. having said that, before we make any changes to the car, we must understand why the engineers are designing it that way in the first place. For example, the ride height. Some uses fingers to measure the wheel-fender gap and tune for the eyes, with front drop more than the rear, which is very wrong. BMW is a balanced chassis car and the height difference between front and rear do play an important part in the car balance, if u decided to lower the front by X millimeters, make sure the rear is dropping by the same X millimeters as well or else your chassis balance is screwed! Those using coil overs, did you all benchmark your ride height differences between front and rear before replacing the struts?

Top Bottom