Chain tensioner issue..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

eri

Club Guest
Dear all,would like to know what is chain tensioner?need to change it?how to change?mine is e46 valvetronic and engine come to rattling noise.i believed that is chain tensioner problem when read another thread in this forum.TQ.

eri;730984 said:
Dear all,

would like to know what is chain tensioner?need to change it?how to change?mine is e46 valvetronic and engine come to rattling noise.i believed that is chain tensioner problem when read another thread in this forum.
TQ.

Bro try refer the diagram below:
MTYyMzgzX3A=.png

item No 2, hope it's help.

It acts as a guide rail, made from plastic and requires a lot of work to remove the head. Rattling could also be from your belt tensioner...

Hi zeedo,

belt tensioner same as pulley tensioner?
zeedo;733520 said:
It acts as a guide rail, made from plastic and requires a lot of work to remove the head. Rattling could also be from your belt tensioner...

#7 in the above diagram is the chain tensioner. I just had this replaced a couple of weeks back, not because it was making any noises but precautionary measure. BMW seem to have redesigned the chain tensioner as it looks physically different from the old.

chaintensioner.jpg

The one on the bottom coated in oil is the old one that came out of the car. The new one has a longer extending bit which is spring loaded. This spring is also stiffer than the old one. The screw part is extended inwards, I think this makes it easier to fit as I didnt have to push in while turning which would have been harder due to the stiffer spring. The oil holes are smaller and is placed near the bolt head in the new one. The bolt head is smaller but I dont think that has any relavance to its operation.

The timing chain rail guide (item 2) can fail too. If low on oil, the guide will over heat and fail prematurely and can cause thousands of Ringgit of damage.

Under proper usage, sufficient oil circumstances, anyone know how long can the guide last?

[video=youtube;blaUTQNi_ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaUTQNi_ss[/video]

Anyone knows the price of the chain tensioner (#7)? Does N42 and M54 shares the same part number?

fgin;734624 said:
#7 in the above diagram is the chain tensioner. I just had this replaced a couple of weeks back, not because it was making any noises but precautionary measure. BMW seem to have redesigned the chain tensioner as it looks physically different from the old.

The one on the bottom coated in oil is the old one that came out of the car. The new one has a longer extending bit which is spring loaded. This spring is also stiffer than the old one. The screw part is extended inwards, I think this makes it easier to fit as I didnt have to push in while turning which would have been harder due to the stiffer spring. The oil holes are smaller and is placed near the bolt head in the new one. The bolt head is smaller but I dont think that has any relavance to its operation.

bro, any significance differences after you change it? may i know how much u bought it?
was planning to get it change as well

I changed the chain tensioner yesterday together with CCV(without removing intake manifold) and alternator pulley.
This morning, engine smooth than before, really significant. No more loud metal/plastic rattle sound.
The tensioner just cost RM90. and its very easy to change. I will recommend all N42 geng to change it :top:

kby88;783868 said:
I changed the chain tensioner yesterday together with CCV(without removing intake manifold) and alternator pulley.
This morning, engine smooth than before, really significant. No more loud metal/plastic rattle sound.
The tensioner just cost RM90. and its very easy to change. I will recommend all N42 geng to change it :top:

bro, can you pm me the shop that you went for the above job? thinking of doing the same thing too. thanks

mamamia;783969 said:
bro, can you pm me the shop that you went for the above job? thinking of doing the same thing too. thanks

Lets go get it done together... awaiting kby88 to reply

Bro kby88 is from Sungai Petani, the CCV and pulley work is done in Penang.

The tensioner is bought from Ban Huat Chan of Butterworth and installed at the same place.

aidilj;783974 said:
Bro kby88 is from Sungai Petani, the CCV and pulley work is done in Penang.

The tensioner is bought from Ban Huat Chan of Butterworth and installed at the same place.

Thanks for the update bro, look like we have to source for our own workshop in KL

anaksarawak & mamamia, just go n buy the tensionner from bavarian auto or any bmw parts supplier than take it to you regular mechanic and ask them to install.
Or if you are DIY kaki, just DIY, very easy job..

anaksarawak;784002 said:
Thanks for the update bro, look like we have to source for our own workshop in KL

checked the sound on sat..and found out the culprit was the power steering pump bro. check the belt tensioner and related pulleys no sound, then spin the ps pump..ketak ketak ketak....

Anyway am budgeting to change that by year end so I guess gotta tahan abit.

kby88;783868 said:

How to access the CCV? :13:

yeah how do you access without removing the manifold?....its hidden behind it...hmm..

kby88;784032 said:
started by removing the engine oil filter housing....from there it can be access

:top: Thanks for the tip.. can replace the oil filter housing gasket too.

Top Bottom