CDV Valve Clutch problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tanman

Club Guest
I recently bought a 1999 manual E46 323i 4dr sedan and i'm having problems with the clutch. I used to drive a 1986 Corona and i felt the clutch on it was just right. The Bmw however feels as if the pickup is too short and sharp... the pedal goes all the way to the back of the firewall but on release the pickup isn't felt till the last inch or so. I find that i have to also rev the darn thing a bit harder then i had to with the corona or the engine dies...it's happend to me several times. Is it that i'm just not used to this type of clutch yet or is there a problem ? Can the clutch be adjusted so that pick up is half way upon release and smoother...rite now the car seems to Jerk a bit before rolling off ...it's not a very smooth start. I have read about this CDV valve thing and i think that might be part of the problem. I would like to know if this will fix the problem or is there something else i can do. I have already adjusted the clutch stopper at the back of the clutch padel and it ain't made too much of a difference to me.Any help appreciated. :unsure:

What's the mileage on your car and do you know if the clutch has been changed before. From your description it sounds like your clutch plates are worn out. Are there any leaks in your hydraulic clutch lines/reservoir?

Well my car has 187,000 K's on it but not rough coz it was driven on long drives to the coast. The Previous owner was a elderly doctor guy who had his clinic far from his house. The car is in good mechenical condition other then the clutch problem that i mentioned. There is no leak of fluid whatsoever from any part of the car. I read on the net about this CDV valve thing that bmw have installed in some E46 manual cars and everyone with this valve seems to be complaining. However i also came across some people that never had this problem so i don't really know what to make of it.

Top Bottom