CD Player for E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
My E34 have a aftermarket cd player. My problem is that the player juts out ie does not sit flush with the dash.Can anyone recommend a not too expensive brand which fits perfectlyThanks

Can any member recommend any shops around Puchong/Sunway where I can buy a head unit and get it installed? I don't want to go to just any shop where they might mess up my wiring

try taipan area, there's alot of good shops around..

the cheap and good brand- sony and pioneer..

regards

Crusher,

Some players will jut out while other will fit flush. A lot has to do with how the installer plays his part. What's your budget ? A Naka will sit nicely in your E34's dash ... ;)

Cheers then.

Let me know your budget and I'll hook you up to a couple of sellers then. Got a pal of mine letting his Nakamichi CD400 go - few months old and minty. Price is about RM 1.3-1.4K or so.

Cheers

What about amber coloured lights and display? There are not many amber coloured players anymore but my original Blaupunkt unit is amber. Matches well with the rest of the dashboard which is a BMW tradition of using amber displays. Any brands with amber display recommendations?

Hey there,

Yeah, some mid range models from Pioneer, Alpine and Sony shud be able to fit your bill. Some of these even have MP 3 / WMA capability if that is important to you.

Happy hunting and cheers.

Originally posted by bimmerman@Jan 10 2005, 11:50 PM
What about amber coloured lights and display? There are not many amber coloured players anymore but my original Blaupunkt unit is amber. Matches well with the rest of the dashboard which is a BMW tradition of using amber displays. Any brands with amber display recommendations?
ya man! this is the most top no. 1 factor to consider when choosing headunit for your bm... don't be lured by those cartoon disco dancing christmas tree fancy looking display players... choose nakamichi... trust me, i bought one... haha

but nakamichi display also not 100% match to the amber display in my car... tiu... i think the amber on the 7939 (even more tua than e34) display probably a better match....

but what the fark is wrong with bmw and lcd displays? radio lah, meter lah, all also same - farking problematic... no quality man for a luxury car maker... bodoh!

The Naka display color is model dependent. Here's a quick list.

MB100 - amber panel, black display. The amber here is almost the same color as the odometer & trip meter in the dash. This is the Naka top dog HU - pure deck, with no built in amp and comes with an external pre-amp + 24bit DAC unit. Superb stuff - I'm a proud owner of one too

MB75 - black panel with red display. Shud match the E36 dash better. But beware, the built in 6 disc changer on the 75 can be tricky at times.

CD700 - amber panel with black display. Almost identical to the MB100 but looks better / sound slightly warmer. My personal favourite but the prices are a killer.

CD400 & 500 - switchable amber or green panel. Displays are in black. CD500 has red backlighting and plays M3 as well. Hurray !

All in all, a classy choice regardless of whichever unit you go for. Erica - nice to know there's a fellow Naka owner here. Which one are you having at the moment ?

Cheers.

Originally posted by Vanquish@Jan 19 2005, 09:22 AM
The Naka display color is model dependent. Here's a quick list...

... Erica - nice to know there's a fellow Naka owner here. Which one are you having at the moment ?
aiseh, if only i had such info before i bought my player... perhaps would've chosen a different model with display colour that better matches the e34... me using TA-25 with MF-31. sound quality so-so only. i think also lose to 45z (one of the brader here selling his a while back - dem nice unit... ). but totally cannot compare with MB100 CD700 class players... also a bit regret didn't get the 51 which, if i'm not mistaken, also provides a digital out for hooking to an external dac... but nevermind lah, me not that hardcore ICE... softcore only...

Hey Eric! Where you been lah? Have not heard much from you lately.

Actually even my Original Blaupunkt's display is not an exact match for BMW amber. It's slightly less orange in comparison but what the hey, it looks like part of the BMW interior design.

I checked the net for Nakamichi MB and CD series like the ones Vanquish mentioned and I think they look nice. Got lots of knobs and dials! I like knobs and dials instead of push button frenzy. I agree with your comment about the latest head units being disco gizmo overkill. What to do? The majority of people who buy ICE are Bengsters so manufactures have to please them. Betcha 90% of folks out there will say the Nakamichi look is so boring one. Why no dancing LCD display and disco lights one?

Sigh, even Alpine has succomed to Bengness these days.

Bimmerman,

Actually Bro, even the usually restrained Eclipse who are so popular within the SQ ICE folks have succumbed to the Beng Revolution. Go check out their 2005 range which will take even Pioneer and Sony to the cleaners in terms of gaudy looks. But they sound as good as the 2004 range so they are partially forgiven.

Nakas are more of a purist choice. You know - no TA or DSP, no built in EQ, no built in cross-overs but the focus is purely on top quality signal reproduction. But just how long will they last before jumping ship to the Dark Side remains to be seen. Hopefully, I will be able to afford the lovely CD700 MKII by then.

Cheers.

Originally posted by bimmerman@Jan 19 2005, 07:44 PM
... Where you been lah? Have not heard much from you lately...
busy lah... in other forums... hehe

maybe nakamichi no budget to design fancy stuff so no choice loh... everything basic-basic only... lucky for them still got people like us... boring stuff (simple) for boring people (purist)... correct or not Van?

PMFJI...

Vanquish,

i have a cd40z in my e34 now. and i 'think' it needs to be serviced. Where/who do you recommend?

thanks in advance. And you're welcome to check it out too.

regards

Fox,

Will check around and get back to ya. Not many shops dare to work on Nakas. What's wrong with it, Bro ? Your location, pls ?

Cheers.

Originally posted by erica34@Jan 20 2005, 02:34 PM
boring stuff (simple) for boring people (purist)... correct or not Van?

You're absolutely rite, Bro !!! I guess running lights, speeding racing cars and dancing dolphins are not just our cup of tea .... :p

Top Bottom