Car starting problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
Yesterday had this problem after parking my car and doing my business, came back and car could not start. Check the engine oil it is low. Topped up about 1.5 litre. still unable to start. I thought might be battery problem. Got a friend to jumper the battery from his car to mine. Still cannot start. Tried many times to start already. Getting ready to tow the car, already 2+ hours passed. Tow truck on the way, tried one more time, the car can start now!Why like this? I think the oil sensor problem since my oil is low. But why after top up still wont' start? Is it because somehow the oil did not reach the sensor yet? Really puzzled, any sifu can explain?

cruzer,

your crankshaft sensor is about to go. when crankshaft sensor failed, fuel pump and ignition is shutdown.

As mentioned by maxu, fuel pump is another likely cause.

Bro,
Had the same problem with my E46, it was the fuel pump in my case.
Hope this helps. Cheers
ejat shafiq;550045 said:
maybe the relay, the fuel pump relay. just my 2 cents.

crusher;549983 said:
Yesterday had this problem after parking my car and doing my business, came back and car could not start. Check the engine oil it is low. Topped up about 1.5 litre. still unable to start.

I thought might be battery problem. Got a friend to jumper the battery from his car to mine. Still cannot start.

Tried many times to start already. Getting ready to tow the car, already 2+ hours passed. Tow truck on the way, tried one more time, the car can start now!

Why like this? I think the oil sensor problem since my oil is low. But why after top up still wont' start? Is it because somehow the oil did not reach the sensor yet? Really puzzled, any sifu can explain?

Bro what model and your starting issues, only at operating temp or all times?

My car is E36 325 yr 1994. This is the first time it happened and I had parked the car for few hours before it happened.

crusher;550415 said:
My car is E36 325 yr 1994. This is the first time it happened and I had parked the car for few hours before it happened.

Does your car cranks and not fire up or nothing happens, you just hear a light stud sound?

Nothing happens. From my experience, normally there is a click sound if the batteries are empty. But in this case no sound at all.

ha..ha.. if cannot crank, check the battery terminals!!!!!!!!!!!! It could have come loose.

crusher;550496 said:
Nothing happens. From my experience, normally there is a click sound if the batteries are empty. But in this case no sound at all.

There will be a click if theres some power in the battery but not enough to start the engine. If you crank a few more times, the battery ran out completely and wont click anymore. Completely flat.

In your case I agree with Jarance, might be your crank sensor on its last legs

Its not the battery as the Roadside assistance guy tested the battery and confirm it is still good. Crank sensor? How much it costs?

crusher;550539 said:
Its not the battery as the Roadside assistance guy tested the battery and confirm it is still good. Crank sensor? How much it costs?

I dont know, wasnt broken on my BMW but my previous Rover 25 had this problem

crusher;550496 said:

Similar to my E34, my mech said as the wires age sometimes they built up resistance thus reducing the current supply (amps) to your starter. He added additional starter replay and now works fine. Cost RM.130

Hope you find a solution to your starting problem soon.

cheers
jp

This morning happened again. Unable to start. Open the boot , knock the battery terminals few times. Start ok.

I noticed that whenever this happens (cannot start), if I press the brake pedal, it feels hard (no give). but when the car is ok again, the pedal is softer. Could be a clue?

crusher;552171 said:
This morning happened again. Unable to start. Open the boot , knock the battery terminals few times. Start ok.

I noticed that whenever this happens (cannot start), if I press the brake pedal, it feels hard (no give). but when the car is ok again, the pedal is softer. Could be a clue?

Might be you have a problem with the power (battery or alternator). Might just be something as simple as a loose battery terminal as you said knocking on the battery solves the problem.

The hard brake pedal is just your brake pump not working due to shortage of power. I have that same hard pedal when the alternator in my car give way last month.

I stand to be corrected.

I also got a problem like this..I changed new battery but still cannot start..How to know the starter problem? I used E46 318i

ali.firdauz;552715 said:
I also got a problem like this..I changed new battery but still cannot start..How to know the starter problem? I used E46 318i

starter problem? Maybe there is no cranking sound?

bro, a bit history would help to know your problem. Not all problem are the same.

Top Bottom