Car Engine Suddently Stop

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW520

Club Guest
Do anyone have experience that car engine suddently stop during driving after trigger 'boltlid open'? in fact the boltlid is not open... i have to open & close the boltlid to start back the car...my foreman also no idea wat had happen. He chnage the fuel trigger sensor, the problem still occur...

BMW520;470327 said:
Do anyone have experience that car engine suddently stop during driving after trigger 'boltlid open'? in fact the boltlid is not open... i have to open & close the boltlid to start back the car...my foreman also no idea wat had happen. He chnage the fuel trigger sensor, the problem still occur...

bmw50, why did your foreman change the fuel trigger sensor? A faulty fuel sensor would not stop the car.

For E46, you cannot triggered or open the boot when the car is in motion. I think this should be same for E39.

BTW, when you mentioned the problem still occurred, do you means that the car still stopped even though the boot lid switch is NOT trigger.

The car would only stalled if your crankshaft sensor is faulty or your fuel pump is about to kong.

Crankshaft sensor failure would also disable the fuel pump and ignition. This is a fail safe feature but most of the time, foreman would diagnose it as fuel pump failure.

jarance;470408 said:
bmw50, why did your foreman change the fuel trigger sensor? A faulty fuel sensor would not stop the car.

For E46, you cannot triggered or open the boot when the car is in motion. I think this should be same for E39.

BTW, when you mentioned the problem still occurred, do you means that the car still stopped even though the boot lid switch is NOT trigger.

The car would only stalled if your crankshaft sensor is faulty or your fuel pump is about to kong.

Crankshaft sensor failure would also disable the fuel pump and ignition. This is a fail safe feature but most of the time, foreman would diagnose it as fuel pump failure.

The car totally cannot start even i close the boot. It happen few time that when trigger "bootlid open", the car stop. The warning just trigger for 2sec only the disapear follow by engine stop. u r rite, the boot cannot open when driving.

Just after chnage the sensor, the problem come again after i drive less than 2KM. It trigger bootlid open & signal gone follow by engine stop.

He did diagnose but no error code in fuel pump but tramission monitoring failure..

BMW520;470413 said:
The car totally cannot start even i close the boot. It happen few time that when trigger "bootlid open", the car stop. The warning just trigger for 2sec only the disapear follow by engine stop. u r rite, the boot cannot open when driving.

Just after chnage the sensor, the problem come again after i drive less than 2KM. It trigger bootlid open & signal gone follow by engine stop.

He did diagnose but no error code in fuel pump but tramission monitoring failure..

what type of diagnostic tools he used? generic or GT1

I think you have a shorthing somewhere in your boot as the "bootlid open" signal turn ON for 2 seconds even though the boot is not open.

try open the boot and check under the carpet for any sign of water ingress.

jarance;470452 said:
I think you have a shorthing somewhere in your boot as the "bootlid open" signal turn ON for 2 seconds even though the boot is not open.

try open the boot and check under the carpet for any sign of water ingress.

i think so as sometime have water inside the boot..Thanks, u reminded me...

jarance;470408 said:

My E39 M54 520i experieced engine stalling when driving thru water puddle on the road......shallow ones of about 8cm deep. Prior to stalling the ASC+T will light up. Sent the car to the WS yesterday, diagnosed and the crankshaft sensor was identified and replaced. Fortunately it was raining quite hard as i was leaving the WS and water was everywhere on the road to home. ASC light was not lit, engine did not stall. Soemthing to consider when you have similar symptoms?:top:

bxxxxaj;566522 said:
My E39 M54 520i experieced engine stalling when driving thru water puddle on the road......shallow ones of about 8cm deep. Prior to stalling the ASC+T will light up. Sent the car to the WS yesterday, diagnosed and the crankshaft sensor was identified and replaced. Fortunately it was raining quite hard as i was leaving the WS and water was everywhere on the road to home. ASC light was not lit, engine did not stall. Soemthing to consider when you have similar symptoms?:top:

How much the crankshaft sensor cost u?

BMW520;471462 said:
i think so as sometime have water inside the boot..Thanks, u reminded me...

wow...bootlid open message causes an engine shutdown.....that is dangerous!

anyway...another possibility for triggering the message cud be the wiring harness that goes by the bootlid hinge arm.due to the opening/closing action of the boot,the harness could have frayed over the years and shorts to the adjascent wires or bootlid arm.check that as well.

bmw7833;566525 said:
How much the crankshaft sensor cost u?

the sensor is by VDO. Sensor about RM255, labour about RM73. labour was for fitting crankshaft sensor, replace fuel filter and calibrating PDC. So far so good, being the beginning of rainy season in Jakarta.

Bro just change the bootlit actuator. There is another thread on this somewhere in this forum

Hi all, i have quite similar problem yesterday. The engine started in the morning but rather shaky.I turned it off and tried to restart but failed. My mech checked every possibilities,even diagnosed it but found no fault code..Will ask the mech to check the crank sensor n bootlit actuator as told by the sifus here...

I've never experienced this before, the engine is serviced regularly,plugs changed n everything is soo smooth before this.:smokin:

yes the cps cud be on it's way out.also yr vanos cud be stuck in the fully advanced position....causing the engine to bog......vanos seals change time perhaps he he................

i have experinced this shaky start in the mornings about 4-5 times since 2 years ownership but i just let it rough itself out and so far has been ok....

moots;585431 said:
yes the cps cud be on it's way out.also yr vanos cud be stuck in the fully advanced position....causing the engine to bog......vanos seals change time perhaps he he................

i have experinced this shaky start in the mornings about 4-5 times since 2 years ownership but i just let it rough itself out and so far has been ok....

bro moots, i never experienced shaky start nor stalled engine..fenin la kepala ana....and does it mean i shud change the vanos seals as well? n what is cps u mentioned? sori la, too many questions...thanx

i have the same experience of engine shake in the morning but it back to normal when the RPM back to 500 from initial start of 900. Not sure what happen. Could be lubricant? all lubricant drop when the engine idle for sometime? Plan to change Castrol magnetac in near future...see whether can improve...

BMW520;585731 said:
i have the same experience of engine shake in the morning but it back to normal when the RPM back to 500 from initial start of 900. Not sure what happen. Could be lubricant? all lubricant drop when the engine idle for sometime? Plan to change Castrol magnetac in near future...see whether can improve...

Possible caused by ignition coil?

Already change 4 out of 6 within 12 months. When 1 start to malfunction, the rest will follow one by one. Recomended by my mechanic to change all at once...When the ignition coil malfunction, the car will lost power.

short circuit.. short circuit.. water in the boot. this can affect your fuel sensor inteh sense that triggers voltage fluctuation. when your mechanic fixed it it, he must have dislodge some bad connection and became very sensitive to voltage triggers. Once the fuel sensors sense issufficient fuel, ecu cuts off so you dun damage ur engine.

Regards

alantiong;586314 said:
short circuit.. short circuit.. water in the boot. this can affect your fuel sensor inteh sense that triggers voltage fluctuation. when your mechanic fixed it it, he must have dislodge some bad connection and became very sensitive to voltage triggers. Once the fuel sensors sense issufficient fuel, ecu cuts off so you dun damage ur engine.

Regards

Is this true? Fuel sensor tell ECU to cut off.

Top Bottom