Brembo Brakes

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmer_man

Club Guest
Dear Sifu's & Guru..... According to my mech - my front brake disc requires to be changed. When braking - the car starts to jerk till it stops. Already too thin for skiming. It happen to my 525i - few months ago. After skiming - very smooth now. I have heard & seen many cars using brembo. Need some advise: I'm using a 17" rims on my 328ci E46. Is there a size limit of the disc?Should i change or maintain the current size? If disc size is changed, i'm sure the clipper too needs to be changed!!How much would it cost me - for disc and also clipper? Other parts to be change? Any brake mech you could recomend? Can get a 2nd hand unit? My intention of changing brake system is because i require more stopping/braking power. I will be working on my suspension, roll bars, strut braces front and rear once this is settle. Hope you all could assist me. Cheers.

I heard that brembos need quite a few modifications...

Why not get Grippen or Stoptech?

on the contrary, i think brembo shud be bolt on.. grippen, stoptech, alcon etc wud most likely need modifications.. but i might be wrong..

If you are getting Brembo, stoptech or grippen you have to change the caliper and the disk.

Brembo MAY make just a replacement disc, but not very sure.

Either way be prepared to pay at least RM7k for caliper and disk. Since you are using only 17" rims you should not go more than 12.6" disk if not caliper won't clear the rim/barrel.

If you have 18" you might fit 13.2" disk and if you have 19" you can fit 14" disk

why not upgrade the servo and master cylinder??? would improve braking too..

Actually the braking on the E34 is pretty good, are u sure there's no weak link in your braking system??? If there is a weak link, then it's no point upgrading the discs and calipers.

The cheapest mod for the E34 is to use the E32 brakes, caliper, disc and brake servo. All plug and play. If you want brembo, get the e38 brake caliper and disc. You may need to fabricate a bracket to mount the calipers. Yeah, E38 calipers are made by Brembo for BMW. 4 pot!!

Will certainly look into it. I'm not a technical person at all - therefore require guidance and advise. Thanks all.

thanks for all your advice.

Can someone tell me where and who is a good mech for this job?
Where could i get these brembo brakes?
How much u estimate it to cost me.

My mech's supplier doesn't have brembo brakes!!!

my mechanic said that brembo oem replacement rotor sucks. it's another story with their bbk tho. do let us know your experience if you decided to try their oem replacement rotor.

I can offer you Stoptech FOUR WHEEL KIT

FRONT: 328 x 28 mm Rotor/ 4 Piston Caliper
REAR: 328 x 28 mm Rotor/ 2 Piston Caliper

Red, blue, black, silver, yellow colours and drilled/slotted.

Its not cheap though so if you are keen pm me for price.

OEM replacements are also availbale

if you're getting Brembo calipers then you will need a bracket to fit onto your BMW. A new set of Brembo calipers the last time I checked was approx RM5-6k. That does not include the bracket, brake pads and the discs.

all sifu,
am i correct to say that all after market rotor can be fitted to a car if the pcd is right then the caliper be fitted with a custom make bracket in order to take the bigger diameter disc rotor .
do there have different offset for the disc rotor ??

fabianyee said:
why not upgrade the servo and master cylinder??? would improve braking too..

Actually the braking on the E34 is pretty good, are u sure there's no weak link in your braking system??? If there is a weak link, then it's no point upgrading the discs and calipers.

i agree with fabians suggestion. If there really is no weak link in the current braking system, there is no need to upgrade to larger rotors and calipers.

Also, a good set of performance oriented brake pads even on the standard brake rotors will make a huge difference. You might also want to explore steel braided brake hoses. Most importantly, don't forget those 4 round black things. A better tyre can also help improve your overall braking performance.

I agree, change the simple parts first ie. better brake pads, steel braided lines and better tyres. You may be surprised how much difference it makes. 4-6 pot Brembos are overkill unless your are is way out of the manufacturer's specs ie. modded to 1000hp monster.

Top Bottom