Brake pad warning lights , dealership ask to change hydro unit D

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

newbiejlcs

Hi , just have my 530i this month , first time owning a bmw . i have a front break pad warning lights come on , so i have a mechanic check on my brake pad and was told that the brake pad were still 50% left , so i try to just reset the warning lights by following videos from youtube , but failed . So i bring to BMW dealer at Butterworth Prai , and i was told that i have to replace DSC control unit and Hydro unit D , which cost almost rm15k . I did some digging on the internet and say that this problems were cause by the brake pad sensor , so i did ask the dealer to change the sensor for me , they say that they have swap a set of new sensor yet still the problem remain , and still could not reset the brake pad warning lights .. any bros here have the same problem ? is this just a software problem or i do have a mechanical brake failure ? Quite worry about this.
I read from this forum that ZF auto shop near gurney drive were a reputable auto shop , plan to bring my car for checkup..

bro,the brake pad wear sensors are located on the LH front and RH rear wheels.
Check both.The sensors connects to the car side via a cylindrical shape plastic connector housed in a small plastic box in the
wheel well which could collect dirt and grime causing corrosion and failure.Check the car side wire harness.
If this fails,go to another shop which has a more powerful diagnosis machine.
If that fails,I would leave the warning be.Not worth spending RM15k to fix what most cars don't have anyway......

ps. don't worry your brake is fine.

Did they get any fault codes for DSC or any relevant error codes? If something so severe fails, it would've thrown an error I'm sure.

moots said:
bro,the brake pad wear sensors are located on the LH front and RH rear wheels.
Check both.The sensors connects to the car side via a cylindrical shape plastic connector housed in a small plastic box in the
wheel well which could collect dirt and grime causing corrosion and failure.Check the car side wire harness.
If this fails,go to another shop which has a more powerful diagnosis machine.
If that fails,I would leave the warning be.Not worth spending RM15k to fix what most cars don't have anyway......

ps. don't worry your brake is fine.
i did ask the dealer to check both sensors and they say they have swap both sensors to new 1 and yet still the same... guess i will have to go to another shop then ... thanks for your input bro , very much appreciated :77: :77:

aoch88 said:
Did they get any fault codes for DSC or any relevant error codes? If something so severe fails, it would've thrown an error I'm sure.
i did not ask the service advisor about the error codes...hhmm... will ask about it if i go back to the dealer .. lol just hope its not something that is so severe .. fingers cross.. :67:

Brake sensors touched the disc as a result of worn out disc. Either u change disc or skim it...I hv just done mine n it solved the problem.

my80 said:
Brake sensors touched the disc as a result of worn out disc. Either u change disc or skim it...I hv just done mine n it
solved the problem.
bro,worn out discs will not give warnings or error codes.worn out pads will....and i'm talking about the pads for braking,not
of the sanitary kind.....he he...peace...

Break warning light can mean 2 things.. Can be pad or DSC unit.

SC must have read the code and hence the advice.

The DSC unit has 2 parts, i.e. controller and servo. Controller is electronic, servo is mechanical.

Buying from outside, each cost around RM6k..

SC always advice to replace both, hence over RM12k.

Some say the servo unit is serviceable but SC does not do the servicing as there's no guarantee it will fix the error.

tweiboon said:
Why not you look for chop shop unit ? Now the e60 car head is very cheap now.
wonder how does e60 car head looks like? care to share some pixs?

Herbert said:
wonder how does e60 car head looks like? care to share some pixs?
251604053554193.jpg

oops... sorry forgot to update this thread .. after reading all your comment , i bring my car to ZF auto at penang gurney , when i told them the problem , the mechanic ask me to relax abit , than proceed to change 1 of the brake sensor , than reset the BC , than everything is done .. problem solve .. lol

newbiejlcs said:
So i bring to BMW dealer at Butterworth Prai , and i was told that i have to replace DSC control unit and Hydro unit D ,
which cost almost rm15k .
It really pisses me off to find unqualified mechanics who suggests a RM15k fix when it really costs RM 250....

Top Bottom