Brake juddering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Russie

Club Guest
Just came back from Pahang. Was using the Karak Highway and on the way back, near Genting Sempah where the road is going downhill, my brake juddered quite significantly. Can feel the vibration on my steering wheel. This is how my disc surface looks like:-
100_1913.jpg
100_1915.jpg
My car is E36 318i and I am using the E36 325's discs and calipers. What should I do?

Either skim the disc or get them replaced,Sounds like you have a warped disc.Most likely a very hot disc coming in contact with water.The grooves you see on your disc is normal and you can't really tell a warped disc with the naked eye.Brembos are pricey but a good after market disc these days don't cost that much.

thats what i thought too...warped disc n not visible to naked eyes.

downhill braking is very obvious n quite ok on even road braking... will try another few times

Its probably your disc. The car has the tendency to vibrate if the surface of your disc is uneven. The cheapest rememdy for this is to attempt a disc skim. That is if you havent done it before. If you have, you cant skim your disc more than 3 times. After that you have to replace your disc. Not sure how much that is. A skim would probably set you back anywhere between 60-100 per disc depending on the shop u send it to. Although, if you are into performance, then an after market disc would suit you better. But just the rotor wont affect much. mite as well replace the callipers as well. 6 pot perhaps. hahaha.

Yes,yes...6 pot calipers with a 5 figure price tag:eek:...what the heck...why not?screw the children's education fund....hehehe

I'll try to find out the actual cost of skimming both sides of the disc first. Otherwise, might get a new set of disc, either Brembo OEM or ATE Power Disc.

you can actually check the thickness of your current rotors and check the min thickness that you're able to have if you choose the road to skimming. The rotors on my E39 looks just like yours...with those lines and what not...and yes if you were to slide your thumb across the disc (first thing in the morning), you could actually feel the unevenness. So yes, my brakes do judder but that's also due to my worn pads of no more than 15% left on each side. Most likely the pads together with the rotors may find their way to the nearest dumpster soon enough.

russie, brembo oem ones should set you back somewhere in the region of RM300 a piece.

loafer;465686 said:
russie, brembo oem ones should set you back somewhere in the region of RM300 a piece.

Wah the price increased tremendously??? I read in bimmersclub forum that some of the guys bought the Brembo oem rotor back in 2008 for RM120 per piece?

RM300 for a piece or a pair Loafer?

Need to change the rotors or skim them as the juddering gives me no confidence at all during downhill braking. During which, I was even tailgated by an old uncle driving his Proton Iswara ... sigh. He even overtook me at one of the bends, probably I was too slow as I was not comfortable and confident at my braking system then :)

loafer;465686 said:

Are the brembo OEM rotors crossed drilled/slotted or normal? Don't have to replace the calipers right?

The brembos are normal.

Russie, go and check with spare part shops. THen you get a feel of what's the price.

See if they have the 325i ATE power disc for you. The difference between 318i brakes and 325i is non ventilated and ventilated

The ones I got was slotted. Maybe that's why it was slightly more expensive. It was RM320 per piece.

This was in 2008.

bimmerholic;465756 said:
Are the brembo OEM rotors crossed drilled/slotted or normal? Don't have to replace the calipers right?

It's an OEM replacement of the stock rotors. No change in the caliper needed.

Elwine, will try to ask for the price from one of the direct importers tomorrow when I see him at his office.

Loafer, RM320 a pair for Brembo slotted to me it sounds reasonable. Read it somewhere that someone said Lemforder ones don't really last? Tend to warp easily? How's the experience on the Brembo slotted disc so far Loafer? No wonder I couldn't catch up with you last time during the curves at Ampang area :p

Mizhan, wow RM2k for the fronts (E46)? That's a huge difference between Loafer's and yours...are they the same?

Eh sorry it's RM320 per piece. Wrote wrongly LOL. Just double checked my receipts.

Yeah Lemforder ones don't last long. I've used them and mine warped in less than 6 months. I didn't use the Brembo slotted rotors for long actually. Had them on for less than a week and I swapped to a different setup. Sold the rotors to udm68 but I don't know if he ever had the chance to use them either cause he also eventually used the same setup as me.

Maybe you can check with him to see if he used the rotors or not.

Top Bottom