Boot Space

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jarance

Founding Member
Have you guys carried a lot of thing in your car? Those small thing like battery jumper lead, spare bulb, small tool, etc... Normally, you would keep them in a box and leave it in your boot. It will make your boot look untidy.. Here a solution to increase your boot space and stored all the things without any cost.1. Just removed your spare tyre and installed it upside down. i.e with the hollow part of the rim facing up.. walah... instant space created.2. Find a hollow rod about 5 to 6 inches in lenght. The diameter should be slight bigger than the stud bolt that is meant for holding the wheel from moving.3. Put back the retaining cap on the wheel. Insert the rod and screw thight to hole the wheel in place. 4. Put all the loose item into various small bag. This will allow you to remove the loose item should you need to change your tyre in the event of a puncture.Try it, you will be surprise how much space you can created by installing the spare tyre upside dowm..

The E46 has it upside down already :)

Only problem is checking the spare tyre pressure. You do remember to check it right? :)

Originally posted by 3er@Jan 8 2005, 01:47 PM

Only problem is checking the spare tyre pressure. You do remember to check it right? :)
use your finger and press the side??....

With the wheel upside down, the valve is also upside down. Looking for it and getting the pump nozzle there or using an air pressure gauge on it is a bit tricky especially in the dark.

Good practical tip unker Jaran!

Oso good for 'seluduping' stuff.................hehehehehhe

What 3er is saying is very valid. By habing the spare "hollow up"akes the spare tyre pressure check difficult.

Thta wat is facing E46 owners. We habe a nice bucket.. but when it comes to checking the tyre pressure... fuuuulllamaaak.. a major project!

Jayarangsing... I thing U must enjoy playing with your spare tyres every 2 weeks or so, checking the pressure. Cause by having the weel upside down, as pointed bu 3er, the valve is also facing the floor pan.

Originally posted by 3er@Jan 9 2005, 02:47 AM

Alamak, thanks for reminding me... kept forgetting to check my spare tyre pressure. Anyway not much of an issue to me since I have an air pump in my car... :lol:

the spare on the e36 is also upside down and come with a nice bucket as well.

since bmw has decided to do this to all the 3's after the e30 i think it's a good tip.

cheers,
Slide.

Aiya, E36 already has a hollow in the wheel well. It comes with a black plastic container that fits in the hollow of the wheel, so that your stuff does not scratch wht wheel and vice versa. It also has a 'platform' that prevents the boot floor from colapsing into the hollow.

Cool stuff. THe E36 is light miles ahead of its time.

Originally posted by jason@Jan 26 2005, 11:42 AM
Aiya, E36 already has a hollow in the wheel well. It comes with a black plastic container that fits in the hollow of the wheel, so that your stuff does not scratch wht wheel and vice versa. It also has a 'platform' that prevents the boot floor from colapsing into the hollow.

Hmmmm, now wondering where my black plastic container is...

uikk.. got ah??? I know there is a black dish around the nut holding the spare tire. But container? aihhh.... gotta check.

for tyre presure, can use those pen like tyre pressure indicator (those that u just have to knock with it's tip to the side wall of the tyre and u will get the pressure) then no problem liao.....

Dun need to check the spare tyre pressure, jes fill it every two months at aout 34-36psi.... a little bit higher than your normal pressure.

What you do is when you do need to use them, jes adjust the pressure to your normal ride pressure after you mount the tyres on the car.

So dun waste time checking pressure for the spare, jes make sure you fill it every 2 months

by the way can view the black plastic container in my car.... please make appointment.

Originally posted by jason@Jan 25 2005, 10:42 PM

This is News...

The E46 definitely have it... no matter which model

But for E36... mine do not. E36 325 Sept 1995. The Spare wheel is right side up with a long nut holding the wheel tight to the body cavity.

So, the later model must have the black bucket then.

3er.. Ur previous Green Hornet have that Black Bucket??
:blink:

Originally posted by iloveVagina@Jan 26 2005, 01:58 PM

3er.. Ur previous Green Hornet have that Black Bucket??
:blink:
Nope. The Green Hornet was a '95 E36 325i and it had the valve facing the right way up for easy air pressure maintenance.

Very good tip mr j singh. Must try it on my E30. once the tire is upside down, i can throw in a footpump. No need to check the spare tire pressure anymore. pump only when needed.

Top Bottom