body paint: factory quality

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

afidie

Club Guest
Dear forummers,- Is it true that no matter how good and expensive the cost to re-paint, it will never be the same quality as new factory painted car?- If above is not true, (meaning we can still get the same factory painted car) can someone advise me on: - Type of paint - shop location - cost - any other relevant info...I'm seriously reconsider re-paint my 10 y.o. E46, but above idea bothers me...Appreciate an advice from all the sifus here....//afidieshah alam

on the contrary, recent factory paint finish quality has deteriorated due to use of environmentally friendly water based paints. result is severe orange peel. you can't sand the clearcoat down as they're very thin. solution for a mirror-finish is a respray.

afidie;583414 said:
Dear forummers,

- Is it true that no matter how good and expensive the cost to re-paint, it will never be the same quality as new factory painted car?
- If above is not true, (meaning we can still get the same factory painted car) can someone advise me on:
- Type of paint
- shop location
- cost
- any other relevant info...

I'm seriously reconsider re-paint my 10 y.o. E46, but above idea bothers me...

Appreciate an advice from all the sifus here....

//afidie
shah alam

True but not impossible that's why taking care of our ride in terms of washing and protecting the paint from elements by applying sealant and wax is very important... It's very hard to get the factory finish paint outside anywhere.
Unless of course if you tell specifically to the paint shop to do several layers of paint and clear coats which will be very expensive. Also the distribution of paint when applying will not be as even as those done by the robot arms in the factory. Our ride E46 BMW uses a ceramic clear coat which is thin but tough which also can be pretty expensive if done outside.

P/s: Having said that don't let me stop you. Do some research and ask few members here that have done repainting of their rides like bro Mizhan above and bro iceman13 ... The paint job is stunning but you do have to pay for the quality

mizhan;583444 said:
on the contrary, recent factory paint finish quality has deteriorated due to use of environmentally friendly water based paints. result is severe orange peel. you can't sand the clearcoat down as they're very thin. solution for a mirror-finish is a respray.

agreed... been observing the paintjobs of almost all the new cars including luxury cars, all bad la!

waa.... thanks for all the valuable info bro... well, this make me even more careful to re-paint... but seems like no choice lar, all the 'chips' marks on the front bonnet and side mirror hurt my eyes lor...

yep, it is not cheap, but everything come wt a price, huh?! :)

Thanks, guys!

paultantk;583462 said:
agreed... been observing the paintjobs of almost all the new cars including luxury cars, all bad la!

agree with u ,my bro-in-law mazda boot also got orange peel ,only notice abt when he send in for polishing

Top Bottom