BMW Long Life Transmission Oil for M54 engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

funfer_fahrer

Club Guest
Fellow members, How often do we normally change transmission oil for M54 engine model? BMW suggests that the oil can last forever. You don't even have to take a peek. Some mechanics suggest that BMW Long Life is just a name or a gimmick. I can be used for a long time but cannot be used forever. You still need to change the oil. Which one is true? Now, how many people out there with M54 engine has never change their transmission oil?

Through my years of experience of handling another well known German marque, the transmission oil is not 'life long'. It is definitely better for you to get it regularly changed (using the manufacturer's recommended transmission oil).

Am using Total. Change every 60k or two years whichever comes first. Better yet change every year; cost around RM400++ per change (not flush). If you change regular enough there is no need for flushing.

ATF lifetime fluid?

funfer_fahrer said:
Fellow members,

How often do we normally change transmission oil for M54 engine model? BMW suggests that the oil can last forever. You don't even have to take a peek. Some mechanics suggest that BMW Long Life is just a name or a gimmick. I can be used for a long time but cannot be used forever. You still need to change the oil. Which one is true?
Now, how many people out there with M54 engine has never change their transmission oil?

bro
I was in AB Sg Besi this afternoon and I was told by the Service Consultant that the newer models (after year 1996, if I did not hear wrongly) do not require ATF change. I have checked the manual and it was stated "Lifetime fluid, no fluid change required"

If I insist of changing, I was quoted the entire flushing plus new ATF would come to no less than RM 1000+

funfer_fahrer said:
Fellow members,

How often do we normally change transmission oil for M54 engine model? BMW suggests that the oil can last forever. You don't even have to take a peek. Some mechanics suggest that BMW Long Life is just a name or a gimmick. I can be used for a long time but cannot be used forever. You still need to change the oil. Which one is true?
Now, how many people out there with M54 engine has never change their transmission oil?

LIfetime oil = short lifespan gearbox.....

This claim may hold through in colder climates, but in our tropical frying pan, I would recommend that you do it every 60k-80k, depending on your driving habits.

If the car runs on highways and does not get caught much in traffic, go for the higher mileage. Conversely, if your ride lives in downtown Kay-El.......stop-start traffic conditions will kill ANY transmission if the oil is left to fester after certain mileage.

Try this test, put some ATF on a metal spoon and heat it over your kitchen stove........tell me what happens......

Hope this helps.

Agree with Kevster30....ATF should be changed first before 80k km and then every 40k km then on.

Just changed mine (e46) about 2k km ago and what a diff....changes smoother and economy better......best ever RM600 spent.....

Make sure that the guys change not only the ATF but also the gasket seal and the filter when doing the ATF change.....

Myself every 20k for my e36. Auto filter every 40k. When need to accelerate just little press of pedal the gear will shiftdown. No need touch the kickdown button under the pedal or sport mode button.

We bring you this post for an Important announcement...

Goodies worth Rm80K is up for grabs and a Lucky draw prize to die for (literally if it does a Titanic) so pls do register for The Annual Dinner thats goin to happen on the 16th of September and be part of history...

Interesting stuff here from funfer_fahrer. A completely different point of view from previous posts by others.

So, no need to change ATF!

"I think you will get into more trouble if you change the transmission oil. And once you start changing, you will need to change more often after this."

f fahrer,
So, the moral of the story is.............if it's ain't broken, don't fix it, yes?

But again, it's difficult to 'stomach' ATF oil is for life........no need to change?

Hmm, wonder what Kevster will say about this!:)

funfer, very good tech knowledge you have wrote.
why don't we do some test or whatever you want to call it.
:p
I will change my ATF every 2 years or 50K whichever come first - as agreed/recomended by most mechanics.
And you don't chage your 'long life ATF - as recomended by BMW.
and we see the result after few years whose gear box go kaput first. ..... amacam ...hehehehe:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YAzid

Let's put $$$!

JYazid said:
funfer, very good tech knowledge you have wrote.
why don't we do some test or whatever you want to call it.
:p
I will change my ATF every 2 years or 50K whichever come first - as agreed/recomended by most mechanics.
And you don't chage your 'long life ATF - as recomended by BMW.
and we see the result after few years whose gear box go kaput first. ..... amacam ...hehehehe:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YAzid
It's getting interesting......F Funfer vs Yazid.............put money, money, money!:D

Good idea oso. We'll see whose g/box fail first. JYazid & FFahrer, keep us update ok. JYazid u drive 50k in 2 years? I travel 30k to 35k in 1 year thats why I change oil regularly.

waaaaaaah laaaaan oh, 5yrs bro no kidding ya it is exactly my 1st daugther's age on 31st aug last thursday man........good luck then

funfer_fahrer said:
Kudos to you guys for making me feel like I am one of the "Fear Factor" participants. By the way, my transmission oil already 5 years old. About to join kindergarten. Still shifting nicely.

Actually, mine hit 5 years too and approx 135,000km, on 30th August 2006. Touch wood! (My car is a 2001 E46 325i).

Top Bottom