BMW E30 Differentials Guides

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
aiyoh aam so sad to hear your prob still cant solve yet...my opinion try to compared side by side with other e30 when cruising speed around 100kmh see whether the speed is correct with other e30..

AAM;511831 said:
Update: On the way to my first off. TT last nite - Sban- Sunway - Sban, did as what suggested by fabian.

My observation: RPM can still go beyond 6500 at 3rd gear ! ( not sure how high it will go- scared! ).

So sifus what is it - tachometer kaput or instrument cluster compatability issue ?

Or could it be the gearbox - close ratio ?

p/s: dont know the history of mods done by previous owners.

thanks.

Hold the throttle somemore until the rev limiter cuts in... If the instrument is not compatible, it can show wrong RPM. Don't worry, engine wont kaput cos the ECU will cut off power if rev past the actual rev cut,

i've sat in one E30 before with the wrong meter,it show the rpm can go past 9,000rpm like honda VTEC, but in actual fact only 6000+rpm..

gizmoz82;511840 said:
aiyoh aam so sad to hear your prob still cant solve yet...my opinion try to compared side by side with other e30 when cruising speed around 100kmh see whether the speed is correct with other e30..

bro,

good idea, will try that ASAP.

thanks
:cool:

fabianyee;511844 said:
Hold the throttle somemore until the rev limiter cuts in... If the instrument is not compatible, it can show wrong RPM. Don't worry, engine wont kaput cos the ECU will cut off power if rev past the actual rev cut,

i've sat in one E30 before with the wrong meter,it show the rpm can go past 9,000rpm like honda VTEC, but in actual fact only 6000+rpm..

fabian,

thanks, will do that to conform.

p/s: WTB E30 rear diff - 3.15 or 2.97

fabianyee;511844 said:

Update : yesterday had a run in 3rd and 4th gear with with the tachometer/ rpm showing way pass the max. 7000rpm.......and the is no sign of the rev limiter cutting in !

wrong meter ? how do i solve this issue...

so based on the above my understanding is, the car can hit 200kph .....or may be more !

p/s: me using 205/60/15 tires.

thanks.

try swap with other e30 meter..but make sure its for m20 eng.i have one if u like to try.

this sounds like a typical 4 pot meter running in a 6 pot car......

then again, i believe its not so simple to have the 6 pot meter 'calibrated' to the big six

do some research on what the germans did on theirs when moving from m20 to m30s

the conversion may have been done half-heartedly or without prior knowledge, hence the problems with this and that.......looks like you bought over a lemon.......

AAM;513110 said:
Update : yesterday had a run in 3rd and 4th gear with with the tachometer/ rpm showing way pass the max. 7000rpm.......and the is no sign of the rev limiter cutting in !

wrong meter ? how do i solve this issue...

so based on the above my understanding is, the car can hit 200kph .....or may be more !

p/s: me using 205/60/15 tires.

thanks.

Had another test run this afternoon - this time in 2nd gear.

Speedo touching 80kph in 2nd gear, the tachometer already exceeds 7000rpm, still there is no sign of rev limiter cutting in. I think this car can still go some more with ease in 2nd gear.......but then again the rpm reading will be none......way pass the 7000rpm max ! Same like what happened in 3rd and 4th gears.

Thanks.

gizmoz82;513145 said:
try swap with other e30 meter..but make sure its for m20 eng.i have one if u like to try.

gizmoz,

thanks, I am keen to try. I will call you bro.

thanks again.

Look like i have to do some mental calibration/homologation with the rpm while driving........something like discount or a few strokes as in golf !

gizmoz82;513145 said:

gizmoz 82,

I am keen to try it. when can I see you ?

thanks.

Top Bottom