BMW Classic Car Restoration!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALBundy

Founding Member
For those of you with deep pockets and want to do restoration to your classic cars (like Mizhan), this is the ultimate! Taken from The Star, Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3.0 CSi "premieres" at the BMW Welt Posted by: Anthony Lim Two weeks ago, a 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi took centre stage at the BMW Welt, as the car "premiered" as the first full restoration completed by the BMW Classic Center since the opening of its BMW Classic Customer Workshop. It was also the first time where a classic BMW, rather than a brand-new car, was delivered to a customer at the facility.
4817632912_f855b86dc6.jpg
For the job, the owner of the 3.0 CSi wanted the car transformed back into a perfect state. He also asked for its four-speed manual gearbox to be converted into an automatic, something that had previously been done only with two prototypes of the 3.0 CSi. Based on close collaboration with the BMW Group Archive, which provided the relevant documentation, the vehicle underwent an authentic conversion process, being fitted with an auto box from a 2.8 CS.
4817632916_107b4bb262.jpg

The refit and complete overhaul of the vehicle required months of research and countless hours of manual labour, with not only the need to repair substantial bodywork damage, but also iron out technical and electronic defects as well as thoroughly overhaul the interior fittings. While certainly not cheap, you can imagine the number of old Beemers making their way for that nip and tuck at the Classic Center, now that the ability to do so is there.

How nice if I can send an old junk in for a restoration? Guess sending an old fella for a restoration could possibly be cheaper than buying a new ride here in MY:top:

It's more expensive to restore than buying a new one!! A prominent Malaysian has actually sent a M1 to be restored. Was told by the person in charge Dr. Tischler, the total cost is EU dollar 250k.

M1 definitely a car well worth restoring but at that cost, goodness... perhaps 250K euro probably to that individual what 250K rm is like to most of us. at least that'll be a nice mint M1 that'll still be around for many years.

Bundy is right about restoration costs. Once the dust settles on my E30, i cud perhaps get an early E90 320i (or late E46 325i) with all money spent.

When I was in Munich last year, I was shown pictures of the work being done on the M1. These guys are anal and every single little thing is left to no chance and properly restored. They even make small insertions into the chassis to check for rust if there is any, that part of the chassis is replaced! All the works are done in the same factory that produces the new cars including the paint job and etc etc. Basically you get a brand new BMW;)

That's pretty freakin awesome AlBundy. I wish I had the cash to get an old crappy 850Ci and give in this car to those guys!!

On another note, surely restoration would cost big time. Comes down to demand and supply....the guys with the brand new cars filled with technology don't really care about the car, just something to take them from A-B in a reliable manner. I'm talking about the owners of the 7 series, etc. Which is why you see most of the 7'ers and 6'ers forums are based on the E38/older 6'ers and below, truly passionate about cars. Thus, we are willing to fork out more money in restoring a broken babe.

maybe 8-series their classic car center people don't want to restore... not 'special' enough by their standards. keke.

Joy never ends!!

This is the email I received from the person in charge of BMW Classic.

Dear members of the International Council of BMW Clubs,

I want to keep you updated on the recent promotional campaign from BMW Classic.

Recent classics from the 1970s and 80s are currently high in the stakes. An assorted range of BMWs have also joined this coveted class of cars – from the colourful 02 Series models, the first generations of the 3, 5 and 7 Series, and the GS motorcycles. Many of these vehicles are still very much part of everyday life. To ensure it remains that way, BMW Classic is offering a range of new services. The BMW Classic Center provides repair, restoration and maintenance work for models of this kind. And there is even help at hand for those who haven’t yet found their right car or motorcycle: the resident experts also handle purchases and sales, provide vehicle certification and give advice on buying.

With its broad-based campaign “Joy never ends”, BMW Classic is promoting its new services and offers for end-users by advertising in the print media, on the internet and at events around the world. To demonstrate the reliability of such models, Matthias Malmedie and Mirjam Weichselbraun are currently driving a BMW 3.0 CSi from Munich to Marseilles – a “European tour” on which the TV host and the actress will glean first-hand experience of the everyday usability of this recent classic from the year 1972.

As of August, the results can be seen at www.freude-hoert-nie-auf.de

Best regards
Ulrich Arendts

When the new 3 series (f30) is launch, I would know whom to look for Classic 3 series cars for display!!!!! GO GO GO!! :)

Top Bottom