BMW 320i warm engine start problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

firsttimer

Club Guest
Hi bros,I came across this website when looking for any information to fix my car problem. I would like to share my experience and hope that you could help me by giving some advice. Before reading my story thanks in advance :) (sorry a bit long)I bought a 2nd hand BMW 320i, facelift version (registration date Nov 2009, 14000 km), from Autobavaria Premium Selection Glenmarrie. This was the first time I bought a BMW, I was very happy driving it until after 2 weeks I found out there was a little problem when starting the engine. Whenever the engine was warm, it was cranking quite some time ( more than 5 secs) before it could start. This problem did not happen in the morning when I started the car with cold engine (with cold engine it could start in less than 2 secs). The problem happened for example when after using it I parked and left the car for 1-2 hours and then tried to restart it. It was cranking long only for the first time I tried to start it. If after the engine was started I turned it off and restarted it again, this time the engine would start immediately (same as starting with the cold engine)I then brought my car to the BMW service centre in Glenmarrie and asked them to fix it, and that's when all my dissappointment and frustration started. First of all, their service really sucked!. I had to wait 40 minutes before I could talk with their service consultant, I had to leave that car for a few days, and when collecting it, I also had to wait for another 30 minutes just to wait for someone to drive the car out of the workshop area. And what was really dissapointing, they did not solve the problem! They said there was "minor programming problem" and they did reprogramming, but in fact one hour after I collected the car the problem still occured. I brought the car for the 2nd time, this time they said they detected a failure in a control unit and fixed the fuel pressure problem. The service still sucked, this time when collecting the car I had to wait for 2 hours because the car was not ready (even though the day before they called me indicating that the car was ready for collection). And again, the worst thing was that the cranking problem was still there, this one was even worse (the engine was cranking even longer to start). Being totally fed up and not having trust on the Glenmarrie service centre, I brought the car to the service center in Segambut. The service was a bit better: the consultant was friendly and tried to help as much as possible (even though one time he almost made me missed my next important appointment because the car was not ready when I collected it), they also did more thorough testing. However, after 2 times sending the car to this Segambut service center they still could not solve the problem. The first time they said that the software was not updated (how come!!, I thought Glenmarrie already did reprogramming??). The second time they replaced the fuel pump ( I had to leave my car for a week just to replace the fuel pump - really ridicilous in my opinion), but it did not solve the problem. Now the service consultant from Segambut service center are making a case to BMW Malaysia and ask them to check my car. Last time I checked with him the status was "waiting for reply from BMW Malaysia". So now even though I like my BMW 320i car, I am loosing faith on the capability of these Malaysian technicians to handle such an advanced car like BMW. I am very amazed (in a very negative way) to know how sucks their service is; especially if we look at the luxurious image of BMW, the sounded-nice service they wrote on their brochures, and the premium price we pay for such a car. I am also supposed to get White Card membership, and even for this simple thing, despite many calls from my side asking for it, until now I havent received it. I wondering whether some of bro's here ever had this problem of engine cranking when starting with warm engine? Could you please give advise or suggest me to which service center I should go? At this moment I am waiting for an appointment with BMW Malaysia. Most probably I will need to try other service centers in Tun Razak or Sungai Besi and hope they will be able to fix it. If they cannot solve it, most probably after 1/2 year or so I will sell just sell this car (before it really becomes a big problem) and switch back to my usual Japanese car. No matter how great BMW is, there is no point to buy it if the Malaysian technicians here are not capable to handle it. This problem itself alredy cost me a lot of my precious time, and the car has been mostly in the service center every week.Any input on this matter is highly appreciated, many thanks!! :)

I think i have this problem after reading yours. But, precisely, i would guess my engine would crank for ~3secs when i have a cold start at the morning.
And the problem gone, after i had my engine oil changed under BSRI program. Have you checked your EC whether the engine oil is due? i assume that AB has changed yours at 10k.

hhmm... weird , i did not have the problem you stated even before or after engine oil changed , mine was 320i LCI 2009 version too , by the way, i only been to Ingress Auto@Mutiara Damansara , their services are good and friendly staffs , collected my car on time as well.

Hi Bro Eggie86, thanks for the reminder, unfortunately I could not find the newbie section. Would it be so kind to let me know where it is? :)
@ lipquan : I havent checked the oil replacement, but indeed it should be when it was 10,000 km.
@ AirBoom : Thanks for the info, I am also planning to switch to Inggress if Autobavaria really cant do anything..If nobody really could not solve it, I will sell it! :)

firsttimer;621746 said:
Hi Bro Eggie86, thanks for the reminder, unfortunately I could not find the newbie section. Would it be so kind to let me know where it is? :)
@ lipquan : I havent checked the oil replacement, but indeed it should be when it was 10,000 km.
@ AirBoom : Thanks for the info, I am also planning to switch to Inggress if Autobavaria really cant do anything..If nobody really could not solve it, I will sell it! :)

Hi firstimer, here's the link http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Newbies

Top Bottom