BMC advantage

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

suratsh

Club Guest
My Bimmer is E46 320i J-spec...... I want to change my air filter from K&N (catrage) to BMC.I need opinion from you all what is advantage for BMC and how about car performance ? How about:-1. Fuel usage2. Horsepower3. Torque4. Top Speed & etc Please advise

possible 1hp increase but you do get a nice induction hiss.

note: 1hp will not be felt on the driver seat.

Suratsh..... PM RedEarth or Eddie70 re.BMC air intake setup. Both have them installed in their e46's so you'd get a direct answer to your query.

One thing is for sure, though. The growl from a BMC is awesome!

DanPromote said:
in other words throw away the spare tyre will get better results?

yup.

All this talk about a simple CAI and exhaust with noticable gains.

I am really skeptical.

Yes, if the car is N/A AND its tuned for high rpm running, there will be an advantage when there are large flows of intake and exhaust gases.

But on a stock motor, its all in the mind. You cannot feel the difference.

I will stand on my understanding and experinces until i am proven wrong. Dyno graphs please. Before and after.

Daniel....

Dun talk like that lar.....afterwards our modding industry go bankrupt! HE HE HE

Plp mod for syiok, looks n bragging rites mah......so let them open wallet n shake all money out-lor! So you do talk some sense.....

For me ( n maybe u too ) - stock is okay-lor cos I no better than a BMW factory engineer mah!

suratsh said:
My Bimmer is E46 320i J-spec...... I want to change my air filter from K&N (catrage) to BMC.
I need opinion from you all what is advantage for BMC and how about car performance ?
How about:-
1. Fuel usage
2. Horsepower
3. Torque
4. Top Speed & etc

Please advise

i have a BMC styled (Racecraft) unit on my ride...with the inlet (piping thru the ori air intake, near the bonnet)

much responsive, i reckon the CAI doing it's job! and it's real quite too. u can PM DrRizal, he has a CDA BMC installed recently :D

honestly, it's a worhwhile upgrade..

Jules said:
Daniel....

Dun talk like that lar.....afterwards our modding industry go bankrupt! HE HE HE

Plp mod for syiok, looks n bragging rites mah......so let them open wallet n shake all money out-lor! So you do talk some sense.....

For me ( n maybe u too ) - stock is okay-lor cos I no better than a BMW factory engineer mah!

yes, people mod for their own reasons.

for me, the mods on my car are there for a reason.

That's why you will never see those ACS rear window spoilers, eyelids, rear boot lid spoilers etc on my car.

* much responsive, i reckon the CAI doing it's job! and it's real quite too. u can PM DrRizal, he has a CDA BMC installed recently :D

honestly, it's a worhwhile upgrade..

Bro andrew (NKTOB), no need to promote me la... :) If anything about BMC, can ask my sifu eddie70. Thanks to him, now i have BMC in my engine compartment...

Anyway suratsh bro, regarding horsepower, top speed, torque etc... well, i will let bro eddie70 answer... Not very good with all these technical stuff. For one thing i am sure of... me no regrets buying BMC.
Fuel concumption, i think its better compare before installation. I'm using 18 inch rims anyway... So berat sikit...

Do search for bro eddie70's ride with his BMC in the forum not quiet long ago...
COOL... :)
To bro eddie70, thanks for 'racun' me with BMC... no regrets bro :)

I am skeptical like Daniel because logically it does not make sense as airflow is not a problem for n/a cars. If the engine is designed to have 300cfm of air for maximum efficiency, an extra 30-50 cfm is not going to make a difference unless it is used for a purpose eg. turbo where more airflow is needed. Also without a heatshield you are actually allowing hot air to enter your engine which worsens the performance.

However just for the 'sound' effect then it makes more sense.

I was advised against installing these CAI unless like daniel and danpromote said you need the extra airflow for forced inductions. From what was told to me by my workshop and some other sources CAI without the proper heatshield is redundant in fact it will decrease the performance. The only advantage i see is just the sound effect...so please somebody prove the above wrong cause i really like to install one but was advice against.

Cheers

that's y a proper fitting is required to achieve the best result for the bmc..

the cold air intake (suction) has to be channelled away from the engine bay, i.e. the inlet shd be fitted on the original air intake next to the radiator..only outside cold air is suck in!

hence, no issue on the heatshield...

cheers :D

NKTOB said:
that's y a proper fitting is required to achieve the best result for the bmc..

the cold air intake (suction) has to be channelled away from the engine bay, i.e. the inlet shd be fitted on the original air intake next to the radiator..only outside cold air is suck in!

hence, no issue on the heatshield...

cheers :D

Obviously the inlet is taking cold air in but the hose ( what material is it? ) still goes along quite near the radiator like you said and the hose material looks like it absorbs more heat than factory standard, in fact it looks like foil which obviously absorbs heat more than plastic, unless its that space age material they use on the space shuttle. Not being a downer or hater but i believe a drop in replacement filter like K&N really improves performance and fuel economy unlike these CAI which is more for looks and sound improvement or for forced induction cars.

The thread starter is asking advantages of the BMC i think hypertune did an e46 328i with BMC and there was improvement in HP when the car was dynoe'd but it ain't all about HP like i said my workshop does not recommend it if all i am gonna do is just CAI and piggyback cause he said i might increase in HP but i will most probably lose my torque (lowend) in the process. He reccommends a full upgrade exhaust system (headers, cat back back box...etc etc), cams, diff gear ratios, stroker kits etc etc to increase performance or go the ultimate go fast mod FI supercharged or turbocharged.

Let us not be misleading in this forum and try and give a fair comment for those of us like me who wants to know more about car modification. I have research on other sites and forums and i find that BMW club malaysia as the most misleading don't bash me i am just stating the obvious. I like this club and have met wonderful ppl and made friends who are so different in attitude in real life than on this forum, i wonder why is that so?

My Bimmer is E46 320i J-spec...... I want to change my air filter from K&N (catrage) to BMC.
I need opinion from you all what is advantage for BMC and how about car performance ?
How about:-
1. Fuel usage
2. Horsepower
3. Torque
4. Top Speed & etc

Please advise

So please enlightened me and answer the thread starter, what is the advantage BMC over K&N (cartridge? cat-rage?)

Cheers

to answer the question.

No difference.

The sales point for aftermarket airfilters is the reduced resistance of air flow thru the flter material. Thus, increased air flow, leading to increased power. Its all theory. And theory can be used to prove that pigs CAN fly.

the intake changes make a diff only if the full airflow process is updated.....intake, filter, throttle body, chip, exhaust......if the others are done but not the intake, the original intake would still be the suffocating point.

Daniel said:
MrSamdol,
what did you consider misleading?

I guess its frustrating to use this forum as a cross reference cause we here are a bit biased when pushing a product BMC CAI as example. What i read here in this forum is so different from what i read at other forums, sites and from workshops, sometimes when i quote from this forum i get laughed or ridiculed its kind of embarrassing. I am used to driving and modding japanese cars like most here and this is my first bmw, my mistake i guess i thought its the same process exhaust here, air filter here, tune here tune there i am done well i am proven wrong! BMW's were engineered close to the max and what ever mods needed must be of certain type and way, so in short freakin' expensive and very engine part intensive.

Like you Daniel Mods.... Enough. For me Mods....... Duh? How?

Have to say this forum is good info for HID's, Projectors, Angel eyes, Bodykits, Car Detailing, ICE so all is not lost.

Take care friends

yes! thank you bmwcar.
another person in here that understands flow dynamics.

for those that still swear by their BMC, CAI etc , after forking out for such an overpriced piece of equipment, prove me wrong with a before & after dyno graph!

Top Bottom